Sign in to follow this  
MrHappyGoLucky12

Installing Windows 7

I want to reinstall Windows, but all I have is the factory recovery partition to reinstall from - no disks. I'd prefer to not reinstall and reformat from this partition since it installs all the Acer trial software and other crap, and I'd like to do some custom partitioning that you can't do when reinstalling from the recovery partition.

Can I download a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium from a torrent, and use the product key from my current copy to activate it? If so, how does Windows have to be burnt as a CD to boot and install from? As an ISO file? Or just an EXE?

DO NOT D/L from torrent sites - chances are you will get either a buggy or virus laden copy of W7 that won't update or will only have a chinese language pack installed!!

If it's an OEM system, not sure if you can install from a genuine windows disc?

Why not just recover from the existing partition, remove the ACER bloatware then partition the drive as required??

OK first post not that helpful!

I remembered reading something on another forum about legal downloads of W7

Windows Download Links

It also contains info around OEM instalations.....maybe worth a read.

OK first post not that helpful!

I remembered reading something on another forum about legal downloads of W7

Windows Download Links

It also contains info around OEM instalations.....maybe worth a read.

Can you also download Windows Vista from Microsoft for free for either a 90 or 120-day trial, at which point it will then prompt you to enter a license key? The reason I ask is because I want to go from XP to 7, and wondered if I could use the Windows 7 Pro Upgrade? As you know, it only works from Vista to 7.

Can you also download Windows Vista from Microsoft for free for either a 90 or 120-day trial, at which point it will then prompt you to enter a license key? The reason I ask is because I want to go from XP to 7, and wondered if I could use the Windows 7 Pro Upgrade? As you know, it only works from Vista to 7.

Yes you can install win 7 if you have win xp. you don't need Vista. Use the win 7 repair disk and do a clean install.This is what I did on my computer but if you are using 2 hard drives it will put the boot file on the xp drive, if you are using just 1 hard drive it should put everything on your C drive. Hope this helps you

is this a laptop your talking about as if so and if it has a cd drive I'd suggest to ring microsoft and see if they can help you or if it is a notebook you should have a system restore function to boot from

I have created a working .iso of Windows 2007 Home Premium and Office 2010 by downloading Windows 7 from from http://forum.notebookreview.com/windows-os-software/428068-legal-windows-7-download-links-just-like-vista-before.html and Office from Microsoft's Web site. I have a 30 day trial of each which will expire in a few days. Where can I get a key? Can you just buy a key if you already have the software burned on a DVD? And will one key allow me to install it on my desktop and laptop?

My employer sells Office 2010 Professional Plus to faculty and staff for $25.00 and Windows 7 Home Premium for $89.95.

Are there any other options? Are sites like this one legitimate if you use a secure payment method liker PayPal - or a credit card so I could dispute the charge if it was a rip off? http://buyactivationkeys.com/microsoft-office-2010-professional-plus-serial-license-key-code-p-50.html

I have no idea if sites like this are legit. Personally I would stay well clear - If you can't get it from an official MS source then you are probably asking for trouble.

You should have got the license key on your PC and if you have got an OEM disc for w7 you should be good to go - there is a way of installing w7 on an OEM machine from a retail disc using the original key - if I can find it I will repost.

I still think your best bet would be to recover from the Acer recovery partition - remove all the rubbish it installs - then partition the drive as required.

The discs you have a trial for - when expired will give you a phone number to contact MS to purchase a legit key.

I would also consider the offer your employer has - Just over $100 for both seems good.

I have the sticker on my Acer so I'm not worried about that one. I fixed a broken screen in another laptop that is capable of running Windows 7, and that is the one I need a key for. And I need keys for Office 2010 for both. I was reading about extending the Windows 7 30-day trial 120 days (using the rearm command). I may try that site I mentioned. I Goggled their name along with other words like scam, rip off, etc. and couldn't find any negative things about them. And I feel pretty secure using PayPal so I have some recourse if it turns out to be a bad deal.

Edited by MrHappyGoLucky12

getting a key for windows 7 professional for only $30. sounds too good to be true (and it probably is)

getting a key for windows 7 professional for only $30. sounds too good to be true (and it probably is)

It is. most of those are Technet/MSDN keys that will usually work for a while, but eventually Microsoft will blacklist them.

PayPal does offer buyer protection, right? And if I use a credit card, I could always dispute it. When taking a chance like this, would PayPal or Visa be a better choice in terms protection in the case that I am ripped off?

I sold some stuff on-line and the customer contacted PayPal to say I took his money and never sent the product. All I had to do was log in to my Fed Ex account and pull up the delivery date and time along with his signature acknowledging that he did get it. Scammer...

By the way, just to clarify - you can only use one copy of Office and Windows on one PC at a time, right? Or do they allow you to say, put it on two machines in your home at once? If I were to have a hard drive crash or reformatted my computer, would I have to buy a new key?

What sort of licenses allow you to install on two machines?

This conversation is treading the fine line towards piracey, so need to be careful here.

Licensing:

The family pack editions allow you to install on more than one machine

MS Office Student edition (ppt, word, exel and notes only) allows installation on up to 3 PC's.

I really do believe the only way to obtain a correct licensed edition is through microsoft not through some online retailer.

And no - If your hd dies you do not need a new key, simply reinstall and use you existing license key - it may come up invalid, but a quick free call to MS and they will give you an unlock code.

OK, I bought a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium for $20 and two copies of Office 2010 for about $30 each. Download links to Microsoft and activation keys were sent to me within 12 hours. Paid through PayPal. www.BuyActivationKeys.com Good deals! Edited by MrHappyGoLucky12

Well John Porterfield, lets hope nobody turns you over to Microsoft for the illegal software bounty they have for such cases

:pullhair::laughing::rofl2:

Well John Porterfield, lets hope nobody turns you over to Microsoft for the illegal software bounty they have for such cases

Is it really illegal if you download it from Microsoft and pay a retailer for the key?

If somebody sells you a Windows 7 key for $20.00 then Yes...it is more than likely illegal

Yep, and now they got his address as well.....

Some people never learn Posted Image

Yep, and now they got his address as well.....

Some people never learn Posted Image

I didn't steal a key. Just because I got a good deal and it was cheap does not make it illegal. If I buy it for $20 from an on-line retailer or $60 from my employer, what's the difference? At what price does it become illegal?

And by the way, Microsoft Tech Support solved my problem installing SP 1. I had to Download Windows 7 SP1 Standalone Installer and run it in in Clean Boot Mode.

I didn't steal a key. Just because I got a good deal and it was cheap does not make it illegal. If I buy it for $20 from an on-line retailer or $60 from my employer, what's the difference? At what price does it become illegal?

And by the way, Microsoft Tech Support solved my problem installing SP 1. I had to Download Windows 7 SP1 Standalone Installer and run it in in Clean Boot Mode.

Nobodys saying it's illegal, but, it is well known that these sites sell off unused Technet licences - which is illeagal. I hope you have got a good deal, but usually to cheap to be true, usually is.

Nobodys saying it's illegal, but, it is well known that these sites sell off unused Technet licences - which is illeagal. I hope you have got a good deal, but usually to cheap to be true, usually is.

What's a Technet license?

You get a subscription here,

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-ca/subscriptions/default.aspx

and after you sign up and pay for it then you can go here,

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-ca/subscriptions/downloads/default.aspx

and download most things from Microsoft's library, with the up to 5 keys for most things. And no it is not OK to sell them, which is probably what you bought. The keys when bought like yours probably is do work for a while, but eventually Microsoft can and usually does blacklist the keys, leaving the person with a now no longer activated or valid copy of Windows (or Office).