Sign in to follow this  
steve595

Blank Screen

Hello noahdfear

Beginning replacement procedure

mv "/mnt/sda3/Windows/explorer.exe" "/mnt/sda3/Windows/explorer.exe.orig"

cp "/mnt/sda3/Windows/winsxs/x86_microsoft-windows-explorer_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16450_none_51a66d6ddafc2ed1/explorer.exe" "/mnt/sda3/Windows/explorer.exe"

Unfortunately no change when restating the computer :mrsgreen:

Start the computer, pressing F8 to enable the Advanced Start menu.

Select Repair your computer

If Startup Repair starts automatically, when it completes click the link View advanced options for system recovery and support to open the System Recovery Options menu.

Select System Restore then click Next.

If any restore points are available they will be listed. If none are listed with a date prior to the current problem, check the box Show more restore points

Click to select a date just prior to the current problem then click Next.

Click Finish to confirm - your computer will restart and attempt to restore the system to it's previous state.

Let us know the outcome.

After selecting system restore and clicking next i receive the following "No restore points have been created on your computer's system drive. To create a restore point open sytem protection."

My apologies for the delay in a response. I've been banging my head trying to figure out a cause for your situation, and quite frankly, I'm just not finding anything. Let's run the system file checker from the Recovery Environment and see if that produces a positive result.

Start your computer and tap F8 to enable the Advanced startup menu then select Repair your computer.

When the System Recovery Options screen comes up select Command Prompt.

Type in the following bolded command, replacing the red underscores with spaces, then press Enter.

sfc_/scannow_/offbootdir=c:\_/offwindir=c:\windows

When the scan completes restart and see if the computer will boot and load normally.

First thanks for the help. second no need to apoligize, i appreciate your assistance. I can understand how frustrating this is, so again I do appreciate your assistance.

When the scan completes I have the following message:

" Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.

Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For Example

x:\windows\system32>

After restart I have the same result, blank screen.

Let's see if that log reveals anything helpful. You'll need the driver.sh script from here on your flash drive.

Boot into xPUD and navigate to the flash drive then click Tool>Open Terminal

Type the following command then press Enter.

bash driver.sh -f

When prompted for the filename to search for type cbs.log and press Enter.

If any copies are found it should show the location on the screen, as well as echo the results to a log named filefind.txt on the flash drive. I expect the cbs.log file to be located in /mnt/sda3/windows/logs - if so, please copy it to your flash drive then attach it to a reply here. If it is too big to attach you can zip it up and upload the zip to my submissions site.

I don't think that the attachment option is enabled on this topic, so i have uploaded them to your submission site.

3 files 1st is CBS.log located at /mnt/sda3/windows/logs/CBS/CBS.log

the 2nd is cbssmall.log located at /mnt/sda3/windows/panther/cbs.log

the 3rd is filefind.txt

thanks,

I must again apologize - I forgot about you (one of the reasons I seldom work topics anymore). :blushing:

Despite reporting that the sfc results were written to the cbs.log, they were not, meaning they are of no help. I did some testing with a number o files to see if I could reproduce the behavior you're experiencing and the closest I came, albiet slightly different, was in not allowing userinit.exe to load. That said, let's see if replacing yours will help. Repeat the procedure in Post #50 using the replace.txt file attached to this post (delete the one from before).

If there's no change after reboot the only other thing I can suggest is to attempt a repair install. Since your system is a Win7 upgrade, I'm assuming you have a Win7 upgrade dvd. To perform a repair installation you boot with the dvd and choose the Upgrade option at the setup screen. This option will only be available, in my experience, if a previous operating system is detected (although everything I've read, even in the link above, says it is only available from within Windows). If the option is not available to you, you cannot re-install Windows 7 without overwriting all of your existing files, eg; all of your personal files, pictures, etc. would be gone. If you have an external usb drive that you could copy files to, I would suggest seeing if you can backup your data via xPUD before attempting any repairs.

replace.txt

Hello steve595

Just wanted to say thanks for all your help! I reinstalled windows today all seems to be working fine!

Thank you for letting us know.

I too would like to say a HUGE thank you to noahdfear for his time and truly excellent work.

Please respond back one more time so we can consider this thread resolved :)

Since this problem appears to be resolved this topic is now closed.

Best wishes

JonTom