Sign in to follow this  
EssexBiker

Organising Internet Explorer Favorites

The easiest way to organise your bookmarks (IE favorites) is by opening the Favorites folder in the right-hand pane and cutting and pasting or simply dragging items to the folder you wish to move them to rather than using IE's long winded Organise Favorties facility! You can also open your Favorites folder in Windows Explorer and move them around in there. But I prefer the first method as that way you can quickly click on saved links to check that they are still valid before you move them ;)

Edited by EssexBiker

It's true, I've been a gizmo tryerouter n' collector if I think they'll be useful to me. When I read your post 2 came to mind n' hopefully you won't mind if I add to your post. :blushing:

The first is AMdeadlink which will scan your favs &/or where ever else you keep internet shortcuts then list 'em all arranged, if you so wish, with 404's at the top, then if link is redirected it'll show you where to....you can delete links that are bad right from the little program.

The 2nd is called BookMark Wizard n' it will turn your faves into an .htm web page that will list your fav folders in alpha order followed by clickable links under each folder plus it include those links that didn't seem to fit anywhere as well.

I don't like all that organize business either but I do have folders titled like - wallpaper, great freeware, Anything Win7 and so on. Of course, mustn't forget - - both gizmos are freeware :)

Fire

I actually do something completely different. I create folders in my Favorites bar to organize thing I commonly use. So Computer Stuff, Utilities, Daily Sites, Gaming Stuff, etc, and just store them all in those folders. If I want something I just look for the category, click the drop down and then the link. In a way I find it forces me to be a little more organized about my faves if it's staring me right in the face like that heh

I actually do something completely different. I create folders in my Favorites bar to organize thing I commonly use. So Computer Stuff, Utilities, Daily Sites, Gaming Stuff, etc, and just store them all in those folders. If I want something I just look for the category, click the drop down and then the link. In a way I find it forces me to be a little more organized about my faves if it's staring me right in the face like that heh

Daemonyx, sorry but that isn't different at all! But I apologise if I did not make myself clear. However, the fact is that unless you do store favorites in different folders, there would be no need to do any dropping and dragging to organise them, would there? Because without folders, the only way you could organise them would be to right click anywhere in your favorites list and choose "Sort by name"!

It's true, I've been a gizmo tryerouter n' collector if I think they'll be useful to me. When I read your post 2 came to mind n' hopefully you won't mind if I add to your post. :blushing:

The first is AMdeadlink which will scan your favs &/or where ever else you keep internet shortcuts then list 'em all arranged, if you so wish, with 404's at the top, then if link is redirected it'll show you where to....you can delete links that are bad right from the little program.

The 2nd is called BookMark Wizard n' it will turn your faves into an .htm web page that will list your fav folders in alpha order followed by clickable links under each folder plus it include those links that didn't seem to fit anywhere as well.

I don't like all that organize business either but I do have folders titled like - wallpaper, great freeware, Anything Win7 and so on. Of course, mustn't forget - - both gizmos are freeware :)

Fire

Thanks for the tips Firekracker! I might give AMdeadlink a try, just to whittle out and try to replace any dead links :) But I find that going through my links manually encourages me to delete any I no longer need ;) And when you save as many urls to your favorites as I do, an occasional purge really is essential! :lol:

The best organizer was the discontinued Powermarks. $20, but it was perfect. Works with IE8. Don't know about 9. If you can find a copy, and it works with IE9, you've got it made.

The best organizer was the discontinued Powermarks. $20, but it was perfect. Works with IE8. Don't know about 9. If you can find a copy, and it works with IE9, you've got it made.

PowerMarks can be found Here at CNET. Apparently, it has not been updated since October, 2002 n' not ok'd for Win7. granted, there are plenty of XP apps that will work on win7....just a cautionary note.

Fire :)