Sign in to follow this  
nigsy

Windows 7 Sp1

I thought Incredimail was some kind of spyware/adware ?

I think I'll wait for the guienna pigs to find the bugs first, and after the patches I'll look into it

Edited by Joe C

I thought Incredimail was some kind of spyware/adware ?

I think I'll wait for the guienna pigs to find the bugs first, and after the patches I'll look into it

Incredimail is legitamate, but really is adware that you agree to install.

googled incredimail, found many negative responses but nothing firm stating it was spyware, but Incredimail does state they are adware

Jacee, Thats good news! I'm still wary though because beta's and rc's never seem to be the same as the final release, I'm not saying I will not get SP1 for W7 but I prefer to wait

I recall what happened to folks that installed SP3 for XP that had Hp pc's and AMD chips....

"Help!! I updates to SP3 and my pc will not boot up!"

and I'm sure it was beta tested too

I recall what happened to folks that installed SP3 for XP that had Hp pc's and AMD chips.... and I'm sure it was beta tested too

I think MS has learn't a lesson. SP1 has been available in beta for some time now - following the same release process they used for W7 & Office 2010, basically get it out to as many users as possible in beta or RC and let them test it. I think this way the bugs are minimised as it's tested "in the wild" before it's general release.

Same advice as always though..

Make sure everything is updated.

Virus scan complete

Backup complete

Take the plunge and install.

I currently have one windows 7 computer in the house. It sits there quietly doing nothing 99.998% of the time. It is basically just there to show customers/a demo unit.

It sits doing nothing most of the time, because computers are like air conditioners, they work best if you don't open windows. ;)

Installed, up and running, zero problems.

Other than seeing it in the properties of my computer, I wouldn't know there was a difference. Which of course is how it should be.

So I turned it off and let it rest, installing a service pack was enough work for a month for windows :P

I have no clue what you are talking about. What you said is the strangest thing I have heard.

sysadmins are mainly responsible for systems security under their watchful eye.

in the past, jobs such as these were careers, these days some take these responsibilities seriously for their own systems.

So why do you think that people shouldn't update their systems? I just don't understand what it is you are saying or what it has to do with a service pack. :shrug:

So why do you think that people shouldn't update their systems? I just don't understand what it is you are saying or what it has to do with a service pack. :shrug:

some, i mean a majority will go out of their way to disable the security features, that many of the updates apply to.

the updates are useless if the systems operated unsecured.

Installed earlier today. No problems so far. Everything is running smoothly and i honestly cant even tell a difference... which is good.

Edited by Chris951

Fully installed and running - Bruce did you download the .iso file??

Going to run a defrag now to clear up the mess all those file changes will have left behind.

Yes I downloaded the img file so I can install it on systems locally instead of the deathly slow windows update method.

I am working on a Dell laptop with windows 7. Late last night I let windows update do the SP1 install on that. Oh my God what a mistake, it took forever, I got so sick of waiting for it to complete that I went to bed, and got up this morning to see that it had finished. It is running perfectly fine no problems.

Now all that said. Microsoft, very seriously needs to change the way Windows update, applications, and upgrades work, it is without a doubt the slowest, most annoying method I have ever encountered. No wonder I get so many computers that have a backlog of updates that need to be installed. It isn't because people don't know how, but because they need to use their computers and simply can't wait hours on end, and sit through countless reboots.

Windows 7 is a decent operating system.

Windows Update is in my opinion a horror show.

I have to wonder if anyone at MS has ever sat down in front of a different operating system and used the package management methods available.

Install hundreds of updates in minutes, install hundreds of applications all at once. Update every application on a system....................all done seamlessly and quickly.

Updating windows is perhaps one of the most painful experiences I have had over the years.

I would love to see them work it out, to make it easy. painless, but most of all faster.