Sign in to follow this  
Bruce

I've Had It!

hold on because next week we are going to get another hit....our prediction for tues eve is 12", hopefully it will change but it's going straight into your neighborhood Bruce

it's up a few more inches on the storm, but we should see an additional 15 to 20 inch accumulation throughout next week, simply put, it'll just snow everyday like usual, few inches here, few inches there etc...

just be glad we had two decent days :tup:

be careful where in the basement you put those pc's bruce,

wouldn't want them ruined if it floods like it did before.

going to be a lot of water around if all that snow and ice melts in the rain.

:b33r:

I spent about 6 hours today breaking ice. It was so think in that six hours I only cleared a 15 foot wide by 5 foot high span. I have never seen anything like it. I then went over a friends house to help him cover a hole in his wall after the overhang over is front door ripped off of the house today. Got all the ice and snow out of his wall, cut the siding back, put a 27 inch by 8 foot sheet of plywood over the hole, and he is going to fill the gaps with spay foam until it can be repaired properly in the spring. I will be back out on the roof tomorrow in the storm trying to remove more ice.

Never thought I would see the day when I would need a splitting mall to break ice on a roof. It was more then a foot thick. When I would get it down to an inch or two, I then was doing the next thing I thought I would never do in my life. Sprinkling Calcium Chloride on the roof to melt that last inch or two.

Will be another long day tomorrow, and Wednesday.

16 inches to 2 more feet :thud:

Already 6 fresh inches on the ground and it's snowing gang busters.

This will bring our total up to around 85 inches or more since Christmas :surrender:

odds are great you will be seeing more, the storm that just hit us appears to be headed in your direction and it's packed with moisture.

Stay Safe, folks.

I just read the news and see the forecasts.

Looks inevitable, but I'm wishing for the Best for All of YOU.

I pray that you and Sue make it alright Bruce. Not that you need to hear it again, but be safe while you're out there securing your house buddy.

Monday night was freezing rain, all day Tuesday was sleet the snow missed us. Supposed to clear of the storm except for cold sorry it's been snowing since noon today think another storm sneaked in :geezer:

A lot of this going on up here. Just way too much snow over the past few weeks.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41383879/ns/weather?GT1=43001

You know this person was trippin out!

Posted Image

Salem, N.H.

This car landed vertically into a snowbank after a multiple vehicle accident on Interstate 93 on Tuesday north of Salem, N.H. No one was injured. (Tim Jean / The Eagle-Tribune via AP)

Probably some nut in front of them trying to show off for his kids, jerking the wheel around and lost control causing the pile up. :shrug:

Probably some nut in front of them trying to show off for his kids, jerking the wheel around and lost control causing the pile up. :shrug:

You got me there! Only problem is, it's hard to be a nut and cause a pile up road when it's empty. :blink:

How are yall fairin up there? We've had forced rolling blackouts and the nat gas provider(Atmos) said earlier that they were limiting delivery to industrial customers to make sure the residential and hospitals... had what they needed. This is the longest, coldest streak I can remember. The school district here has been closed for 3 days now. I don't think they've ever closed down for this long due to weather.

If I lived closer I'd come give ya a hand. :( Yall be safe and try to stay warm. We're prayin for yall.

I am leaving for a wake and funeral up by the Canadian border in the morning and likely won't be back until Saturday. Still a lot of ice and snow on the roof. If it doesn't cave in before I get back Saturday I will be happy. I'll be driving back in the middle of a storm Saturday, oh well it is what it is.

We do get a good comedy show on a regular basis now. I have a neighbor who can't drive if he sees a cloud, he is about the only person I have ever met who gets stuck on an uphill, and parks and walks away blocking the road for everyone else. I asked him one day if he planned on moving his car out of the way, he said he couldn't it was stuck and won't move. I asked him if reverse was broken, because every uphill is a "DOWNHILL" in the other direction :rofl3: he just looked at me like I was from another planet. I asked if he would like me to get his car in his driveway. He chuckled like it couldn't be done. So I got in, backed down the hill to level ground and accelerated smoothly and got up a bit of momentum and went right up the hill into his parking spot, I met his wife there, she took the keys and apologized saying she would handle it from now on :P Now his wife has to drive his car up the driveway for him on a regular basis.

Edited by Bruce

I've been seeing news reports of roof collapses in Mass. and can't help but to wonder if there's a faulty design in the roof truss, Many areas in the north get a lot of snow and we do not hear of collapses to this extent. Do engineers in Mass.not take in the snow factor when they design a roof truss?

Edited by Joe C

I am at home today. Houston is under a severe weather alert. The schools are closed as well as many businesses and the news is advising icy roadways. They have forecasted a paralyzing 1" to 3" of snow.

Now we know exactly what our northern friends are going thru. Pray for us

I've been seeing news reports of roof collapses in Mass. and can't help but to wonder if there's a faulty design in the roof truss, Many areas in the north get a lot of snow and we do not hear of collapses to this extent. Do engineers in Mass.not take in the snow factor when they design a roof truss?

i asked the same question, i really think the architects left out that math.

There are roofs caving in in all the states here.

It isn't the fact that there is a lot of snow it is the fact that there is so much in such a short period of time. Doesn't have much to do with architecture, it has to do with 5 feet of snow and ice on roofs simply not designed to carry that much weight. I don't know of any wood structure designed to carry a load like that. 99.9% of the building handle it, but the fact remains that no not even your roof Joe is designed to carry a load that heavy.

The best designs are the very old ones. Most of the old houses from 1600's a700's and 1800's have very steep roofs. Most houses built in the last century don't have the same steep pitch that the older houses had.

Edited by Bruce

Snow flurries today= 5+ inches tomorrow snow fluries likely to be another 4inches then wednesday more snow not sure how much. The street department believed in flurries for today so didn't plow or salt until now :geezer: Getting really tired of this Bruce it's on it's way to you :pullhair:

The pitch of the roof has a lot to do with it .. not just the construction. I believe that a standard/normal pitch is 4/12.

Ours is a 6/12 pitch, but I sure wouldn't want that much snow and ice to test it!!

accuweather predicts an additional 2 foot of snow by mid to late next week in the great state of M.A.

the disturbance is starting in the pacific northwest, due to a southern jet stream drop around houston texas and blast of arctic air, looks like northern texas will get 2 inches then the storm will increase in intensity as it connects with a system around the great lakes then follows the jet stream east, finally northeast, it'll bring that southern moisture up north.

i don't remember the jet stream ever stooping so low south, this is an odd weather pattern.

for michigan we have a chance for snow feb 10th so that looks like the northern system that'll collide.

i hope all is well in M.A. and everyone is cleaning snow off roof tops :(

edit: looks like it dumped 4+ inches in just two hours, i just got off the batphone, the plows will drop this evening :rofl2:

Edited by duanester