Sign in to follow this  
Paultx

Enchanted Keyfinder

Enchanted Keyfinder is a utility that retrieves the product key used to install Windows from your registry or from an unbootable Windows installation. It works on Windows 9X, ME, NT/2K/XP, and Vista/Win7 and for other software. Edited by Paultx

Enchanted Keyfinder is a utility that retrieves the product key used to install Windows from your registry or from an unbootable Windows installation. It works on Windows 9X, ME, NT/2K/XP, and Vista/Win7 and for other software.

Why would anyone want a Windows key finder unless they were trying to install an illegal copy of Windows? Because if they already had a legal copy of Windows, surely they would already have their Windows key on the documentation that came with their disk or on a label stuck to the side of their PC's?

But even if there is a valid and legal reason for using it, Beta programs should always be used with caution because Beta programs are those that are still developed and tested for inconsistencies!

Why would anyone want a Windows key finder unless they were trying to install an illegal copy of Windows? Because if they already had a legal copy of Windows, surely they would already have their Windows key on the documentation that came with their disk or on a label stuck to the side of their PC's?

But even if there is a valid and legal reason for using it, Beta programs should always be used with caution because Beta programs are those that are still developed and tested for inconsistencies!

There are some situations when one might need to retrieve a license key, like the lack or loss of original disks or documentation. For instance, some notebooks now come with none of these rescue disks, so picture a worst case scenario of such a notebook turned unbootable. Another example: when a friend of mine moved from another city he left all his PC documents and disks there and couldn't have them back. Then I think this app will be an option to try to fix some stuff.

As to being a beta program, this status is shown on the app's project page. And BTW many so called stable, final version apps come with those "as is" and "use at your own risk" warnings written on their terms. In the end it's a matter of being careful with what you do with your computer. My advice is: If you don't know what you're doing, you better not even start doing it.

There are some situations when one might need to retrieve a license key, like the lack or loss of original disks or documentation. For instance, some notebooks now come with none of these rescue disks, so picture a worst case scenario of such a notebook turned unbootable. Another example: when a friend of mine moved from another city he left all his PC documents and disks there and couldn't have them back. Then I think this app will be an option to try to fix some stuff.

As to being a beta program, this status is shown on the app's project page. And BTW many so called stable, final version apps come with those "as is" and "use at your own risk" warnings written on their terms. In the end it's a matter of being careful with what you do with your computer. My advice is: If you don't know what you're doing, you better not even start doing it.

I am fully aware thank you that some so-called stable, final versions of programs also come with "as is" and "use at your own risk" warnings written in their terms. I am equally aware that you should always take sensible precautions when installing any program on your computer - like only installing programs from sources you trust and always creating a restore point before installing any new program! I sometimes even backup (export) my entire registry before installing some programs just to be on the safe side!

And as soon as I get a new computer, I always gather and keep a note of the system information including my Windows key in a folder on my computer, which is then backed up to 2 external drives for future reference. I also keep my original installation disks safe, making copies of them so that the master is never damaged and create a working set of restore disks as well as a disk containing all my drivers, which are all then backed up to my 2 external drives! So I believe I know what I'm doing a lot better than most Paultx!

So I believe I know what I'm doing a lot better than most Paultx!

Dear EssexBiker, sorry if I seemed to be addressing you directly, but in fact when I use "you" I'm thinking universally, so I should've used "one" or "someone" or "people" instead of "you"...

No evil intent here.

Dear EssexBiker, sorry if I seemed to be addressing you directly, but in fact when I use "you" I'm thinking universally, so I should've used "one" or "someone" or "people" instead of "you"...

No evil intent here.

Apology accepted :lol: