Sign in to follow this  
hogan

Msi P965 7235 Ver 1.1 Troubles With Windows 7

I have the MSI P965 7235 ver 1.1 with Intel core2 using a win7 operating systerm.

Some many months back it started to have date changes. Sometimes backwarks to 2003 sometimes more here lately forwards (like the year 2199) but always when I turn off the pC. REstarting was a crap shoot sometimes it would see drives sometimes it would not. It always looses my setting to not look for drive a and halts on the lack of a drive on a restart.

Yes I changed the battery and tried every virus program and checker.

Giving up I finally back up my data and re-install windows 7.

Suddenly the above date changing problem and drive problems go away I can turn it off unplug it etc etc not 1 fumble. Then windows 7 starts to update itself. After an update or 2 the problems are back.

The Mobo as best I can tell is Vista certified. Any chance my issues are related to an in-compatability with win 7 and 1 of it's updates? If so should I find (or heaves forbid buy) a copy of vista or just load Win 7 and don't allow any updates?

Thanks

Have you checked for a Bios update?

I read through the bios updates and none of them mentioned anything like I'm encountering.

I'm trying now..

Edited by hogan

Ok,

I've updated the bios and problem still happens.

If the date time clock had always went back to 2003 I would it was a mechanical failure. The problem was that I've seen the date time clock go into the future.

But this only happens when the computer is turned off. Sometimes on a restart but mostly on a hard off.

Is there any way the operating system could mess with the BIOS. If not the operating system then what?

Edited by hogan

Windows can reset the clock but it is rare that it sets it to the future or back in time, usually only a day or so.

Most of the time the clock is set to Jan 1 2003 but it does change. For example after shutting down just now it reset to Jan 10 2011

I just don't see how a mechanical glitch in the mobo would not lead to the same reset date every time.

I'm really starting to suspect a virus but as indicated I've run many a virus and spyware programs.

I might try formatting with Ubuntu or something and then re-installing windows.

I think it's likely that some BIOS settings, stored in non-volatile RAM (NVRAM) on the clock chip, aren't being retained.  While this might conceivably be due to a problem in the BIOS code (and possibly cured by rewriting or updating the BIOS), it seems to me that the data might be corrupted when Windows updates the ESCD (extended system configuration data) in NVRAM.

ESCD updates typically consist of changes to IRQ or I/O memory range assignments, which Windows and other "plug and play" (PnP) or "advanced configuration and power interface" (ACPI) aware operating systems can make.  A few drivers for some devices, such as integrated network and SCSI controllers, also alter the ESCD, but this is rare.

The BIOS may have a "Plug and Play OS" option.  If it's turned off, then the BIOS should manage IRQ and memory assignments exclusively, and Windows should not be able to alter them.  If the problem is indeed due to bad ESCD updates, then this is likely to resolve it.

If disabling the "Plug and Play OS" option is effective, that might suggest that the clock chip has a defect, probably in its RAM but possibly in some other area of the chip.  Hardware failures are quite rare, however, and extremely rare in components aa simple as these.  Because of this, I'd be much more inclined to think that the cause is improper ESCD updates, either by a device driver or Windows itself.

could not find any such setting in bios. I did find on the web another person stating the same issue I have starting in July of 2010 with same board (thats also about the time i started having the problems).

Ok I stop trying to start PC with windows (baring in mind the PC appeared to be getting progressively more problematic) and meerly started up pc with opensuse. PC holds bios my opensuse dvd did not work so reboot and go for ubuntu. Well low and behold bios are holding and system instability appears to go away. I'm going to keep testing with ubuntu. Then maybe load opensuse if I can get a good copy of it.

If all that works with long stability I will then try loading Vista I guess.

Guess it will be an Linux system of some kind.

AFter multiple restarts in Ubuntu it's rock solid bios never faulters and system never seems to have problem starting.

I went to put in a Windows Vista install CD and Pow hard stop pc stops responding at or before the first page of install this happened twice then I try Windows 7 and same deal it gets to the point where I should be able to Pick what country and there is no response from keyboard or mouse.

I have the same problem.

It keeps rolling back to defaults.

date 01/01/2003

everything to defaults.....

I'm running Win7 and the problems started since 2011.

Any help?

So your not using a hacked copy of windows ?

doesn`t matter ,but it will cause this kinda problem

I'm using a licensed copy of Win7

And your reply was? That Win7 affects this MOBO?

Not really helpful

Edit: + I'm using Win7-64bit OS with E6400 (intel)

Edited by biscplem

Ok

try going to the intel site and running or using there update tool make sure you use the right one for 7 64 bit.