Sign in to follow this  
FalleStar

Laptop: No Keyboard, Bsod

I am trying to help my friend fix his Toshiba Satellite L505D-S5965 laptop. He had been having trouble with it being sluggish up until about a week or two ago, then he re-installed Windows 7 Professional x64 on it and it seemed to fix the problem.

Two days ago he went to turn his laptop on and it gave him the BSoD repeatedly, saying that the BIOS were not ACPI compliant. Furthermore, the keyboard stops responding after about two seconds after the system turns on.

I figured the BIOS would be a good place to start, so I tried to view them, but unfortunately the keyboard works JUST long enough to press F2 to access the BIOS, but then becomes unusable so I cannot navigate the menus at all.

The laptop has 3GB of RAM in it, I suspected it was a memory problem so I took out one of the sticks of RAM and was able to get rid of the BSoD; however, the keyboard and touchpad still were unusable.

I found some posts saying to unplug the laptop and remove the battery, let it sit for a while and try it after a few minutes so skeptically I did this overnight. As expected, no change.

I Tried using a USB keyboard & mouse setup, still nothing. I Updated the BIOS to version 1.50 (the latest) by burning a bootable CD with them, the BIOS flashing finished as expected but the problem persists. I was able to boot into Ubuntu 10.10 off of a live CD but neither the built-in nor USB devices would function.

The only thing I could think of to do is to remove the CMOS battery; however, I've read that for this model of laptop the CMOS battery is perma-soldiered into the motherboard so it cannot be easily removed. Besides, if re-flashing the BIOS didn't work would it even help?

Unfortunately I cannot try using a PS/2 mouse/keyboard because there aren't any ports on the laptop to attach the devices.

Does anyone have any suggestions? It's not a horribly old laptop, but it is out of warranty so I'd hate for my friend to have to go out and replace this one since it's been fine for him up to this point.

P.S. One more strange thing I forgot to mention about the keyboard, for some reason I am still able to toggle the monitor on and off by using FN+F5 after I've otherwise lost use of the keyboard (like say, when I am on the BIOS menu). None of the other FN+F? hotkeys seem to work though, as their respective LEDs do not change as they are pressed. Once Linux or Windows attempts to boot however even this hotkey becomes inaccessible to the system, but I can do it anytime prior to their booting.

Edited by FalleStar

I am trying to help my friend fix his Toshiba Satellite L505D-S5965 laptop. He had been having trouble with it being sluggish up until about a week or two ago, then he re-installed Windows 7 Professional x64 on it and it seemed to fix the problem.

Two days ago he went to turn his laptop on and it gave him the BSoD repeatedly, saying that the BIOS were not ACPI compliant. Furthermore, the keyboard stops responding after about two seconds after the system turns on.

I figured the BIOS would be a good place to start, so I tried to view them, but unfortunately the keyboard works JUST long enough to press F2 to access the BIOS, but then becomes unusable so I cannot navigate the menus at all.

The laptop has 3GB of RAM in it, I suspected it was a memory problem so I took out one of the sticks of RAM and was able to get rid of the BSoD; however, the keyboard and touchpad still were unusable.

I found some posts saying to unplug the laptop and remove the battery, let it sit for a while and try it after a few minutes so skeptically I did this overnight. As expected, no change.

I Tried using a USB keyboard & mouse setup, still nothing. I Updated the BIOS to version 1.50 (the latest) by burning a bootable CD with them, the BIOS flashing finished as expected but the problem persists. I was able to boot into Ubuntu 10.10 off of a live CD but neither the built-in nor USB devices would function.

The only thing I could think of to do is to remove the CMOS battery; however, I've read that for this model of laptop the CMOS battery is perma-soldiered into the motherboard so it cannot be easily removed. Besides, if re-flashing the BIOS didn't work would it even help?

Unfortunately I cannot try using a PS/2 mouse/keyboard because there aren't any ports on the laptop to attach the devices.

Does anyone have any suggestions? It's not a horribly old laptop, but it is out of warranty so I'd hate for my friend to have to go out and replace this one since it's been fine for him up to this point.

P.S. One more strange thing I forgot to mention about the keyboard, for some reason I am still able to toggle the monitor on and off by using FN+F5 after I've otherwise lost use of the keyboard (like say, when I am on the BIOS menu). None of the other FN+F? hotkeys seem to work though, as their respective LEDs do not change as they are pressed. Once Linux or Windows attempts to boot however even this hotkey becomes inaccessible to the system, but I can do it anytime prior to their booting.

I'm not sure if you were right yet or not about the bent USB pin. One of the USB ports did look pretty messed up, but in the process of fixing this I seem to have created a new problem.

The laptop won't boot up anymore at all, but the power and battery LEDs still light up so I know it is getting power. I suspect I damaged the ribbon cable leading from the power button to the motherboard when I took it out.

So you may have been right, but I can't confirm or disprove the theory yet due to this new problem.

Although tw2 was right that one of the USB ports was a bit messed up, after fixing this problem (and resetting the CMOS) the results are the same. The keyboard and touch-pad become inoperable after the computer has been powered on for about two seconds or so.

Whether or not it's relevant, in that time the keyboard is functional I can turn on caps/num lock and the indicator lights on the keys will remain on or off but unchangeable after it loses functionality.

So now you can boot into ubuntu?

It seems there is nothing wrong with the keyboard, it's more likely a motherboard / software issue that your keyboard doesn't work.

You could try going back to an older BIOS.

Since you are able to open the laptop, did you see any signs of damage? Was it dropped?

You could check the Toshiba website for a FAQ on this model (I can't find this model on the US website).

I can boot into Ubuntu off of a live CD, but once inside I cannot do anything since neither the keyboard nor touchpad nor USB-KB/Mouse will work.

I took the whole laptop apart, down to the CPU and redid all of the connections. I didn't see any damage to the motherboard while I was inside; however it's possible I suppose that I missed it.

This is not my laptop, but I did notice that the power jack on it had been re-seated inside with superglue, but it's nowhere near the motherboard, it's just touching the case. After asking my friend about that he said it happened over a year ago, so it's not a new problem although possibly relevant.

I might possibly be able to downgrade the BIOS via bootable CD, but I'm not so sure that it would help since the problem didn't start occurring after a BIOS upgrade. It is something I will try if I don't get any other responses first.

So ? let me go this way what might of happened is the ribbon cable is broken ,good luck seeing it.plan on getting a replacement.Had a sony the same thing happened .i didn`t see the problem ,i never could find the break,

Let me know what you find ,,

tw2

Hey, you might of missed when you plugged it in , not really a plug so to speak just a ribbon that slips in and then you lock it in place

I fixed the ribbon cable a couple days ago, when I took the laptop apart I didn't know how to take a ribbon cable out properly, I didn't see the locks until after I already got it out. When I pulled the cable out it broke 3 of the pins at the end. To fix the problem I just cut the last couple centimetres off of the cable and it works perfectly.

Unfortunately though I as I stated, the same problem was occurring even after taking your suggestion of resetting the USB pins and the CMOS battery.

At this point I'm not very hopeful, I told my friend he should start shopping around for a new laptop. Unless of course someone here can figure something out; however, it's seeming unlikely at this point.

I'd go back in and reseat the ribbon cable, then replace it if it still won't work. If booting from a live Ubuntu cd is rendering the same results as Windows, then hardware is more likely the culpret.

I had to replace a couple of ribbons on a Macbook Pro and found them on e-bay pretty cheap. Just a thought if you end up going that route. ;)

:) Y

So I found your post trying to find a solution to the exact same problem, with the exact same laptop. Any update? My crash occurred after a short drop (6-8 inches) but an awkward landing at a strange angle, so I assume it's physical damage to the mobo. I managed to disconnect the CMOS battery and reconnect it, but it didn't help. I get same error when booting from DVD or HDD, the HDD is good in another laptop, and a diff HDD gives same results. I have another L505d that I use for parts, my next guess would be to swap out the actual BIOS chip, what do you think?

SM