Sign in to follow this  
Andrew S.

Pc Matic R/t

Hi Andrew,

PC Matic and PC Matic RT is all I have been using for several weeks now. It has been working great!

There are more details about PC Matic Real Time here:

What is PC Matic RT?

PC Matic real-time protection is running constantly on a computer, once installed. It looks and warns about any file that the user tries to run, that looks to be malware. In fact, once installed, this software is keeping track of everything that is being run on the computer.

What is the user experience?

Unlike PC Matic, there is not much in the way of pretty pictures, or gas gauges flicking on your screen, telling you what they are doing, and where they are in the process of scanning your entire computer.

This software runs as a tray application, on the right side of your tray. It sits there very quietly, for the most part, watching each program you run, and waiting to warn you should it consider something you try to run is malware.

In fact, if you don't try to run something that is malware, you will never even know it's running.

However, if you do, it might be nice to be warned, and that's what this does.

If it comes upon a program it thinks is malware, it will warn you, and ask you what you would like to do about it.

You have the option, of letting it run, blocking it, always blocking it, or always allowing it, or of course, you can quarantine away so it will cause no further problems.

What does it install and what's going on?

Currently, this likely looks like it is doing very little. The reality is, it is actually installing both a windows service (much like our scheduler) along with a tray application, and runs constantly, on your computer, looking and deciding on each program you run.

By default, this will start running, and turn on from the time you install it. It does that for every user configured on the computer (up to 5)

It is, however, quite unobtrusive, and just sits there trying to protect you from whatever those malware writers out there are trying to get you to stumble into.

Thanks IG Yes I did read the info on PC Matic R/T it just seemed too good to be true.

PC Matic now seems to make all the other Pit Programs surplus, aren't you doing yourselves out of business?

We still offer Optimize, Driver Alert, Exterminate, and DiskMD for our customers who do not want PC Matic, although it is true that PC Matic replaces all four of these products at less then half the cost if the products were purchased individually.

We are also expanding our product line with our cloud backup application, Dat 1, and Erase is going through a rewrite as well.

I downloaded the -RT version when it was presented as an update for my recently installed PC Matic. However, there were no instructions with it and I've had to search the web for information. One thing that particularly puzzled me is that the green PC MaticRT icon has no practical function, other than to block/unblock or exit. Furthermore, the old PC Matic icon does not open the program any longer, but opens a window to install it again.

I'm assuming (something one should never do) that the program does not need to be routinely executed because it's functioning in the background, but what about some of the settings and the ancillary programs that I can't seem to execute with the old icon any longer?

Don

:wp:

Installing PC MaticRT has no effect on PC Matic itself.

If the icon is offering to install the program then it is the installer file, not a PC Matic shortcut. You can start PC Matic from Start>Programs>PC Pitstop>PC Matic.

What is PC Matic RT?

PC Matic real-time protection is running constantly on a computer, once installed. It looks and warns about any file that the user tries to run, that looks to be malware. In fact, once installed, this software is keeping track of everything that is being run on the computer.

Unlike PC Matic, there is not much in the way of pretty pictures, or gas gauges flicking on your screen, telling you what they are doing, and where they are in the process of scanning your entire computer.

This software runs as a tray application, on the right side of your tray. It sits there very quietly, for the most part, watching each program you run, and waiting to warn you should it consider something you try to run is malware.

In fact, if you don't try to run something that is malware, you will never even know it's running.

If it comes upon a program it thinks is malware, it will warn you, and ask you what you would like to do about it.

You have the option, of letting it run, blocking it, always blocking it, or always allowing it, or of course, you can quarantine away so it will cause no further problems.

Currently, this likely looks like it is doing very little. The reality is, it is actually installing both a windows service (much like our scheduler) along with a tray application, and runs constantly, on your computer, looking and deciding on each program you run.

By default, this will start running, and turn on from the time you install it. It does that for every user configured on the computer (up to 5)

It is, however, quite unobtrusive, and just sits there trying to protect you from whatever those malware writers out there are trying to get you to stumble into.

This is really neat. I can't wait for the back-up solution. I do support this effort, buy I just have a few questions.

1. I was wondering if there were any conflicts or compatability issues with other Anti-Virus or Anti-Spyware/Malware Real Time protection monitors?

2. What is it comparable to (ie. WinPatrol)?

Thanks,

Faith

Edited by faith_michele

Thanks,

I tried to start the PC Matic from the Programs file as you instructed, but had the same result. After about a minute's pause with the gears grinding, it offered to install PC Matic as before. This time I opted to install and now it works normally from the desktop icon or from the Program file.

I recall in the installation of the -RT update, there was an uninstall process the occurred automatically. It appeared that it needed to clear the old program in order to install the update. I don't know if this was a glitch in my particular setup, or if this is a problem with the update process.

Don

What was being installed was an updated Active X control, not the PC Matic program itself. You will see those from time to time.

The uninstall is neither a glitch or a problem. Our experience has been that there are much fewer issues if the existing program is uninstalled first, as opposed to installing 'over the top', so a PC Pitstop program update always begins with an uninstall.

This is really neat. I can't wait for the back-up solution. I do support this effort, buy I just have a few questions.

1. I was wondering if there were any conflicts or compatability issues with other Anti-Virus or Anti-Spyware/Malware Real Time protection monitors?

2. What is it comparable to (ie. WinPatrol)?

Thanks,

Faith

1) PC MaticRT is very new so were are still in the process of seeing what the issues are going to be with this program, but anytime two real-time agents are running concurrently there is potential for conflict. So far there has been no reports of problems with any specific product other than a one-off here or there. If there was a general conflict we would expect to see reports from multiple users, and this has not happened to date.

2) The closest similarity is probably Sunbelt VIPRE's Active Protection

Hi Andrew,

PC Matic and PC Matic RT is all I have been using for several weeks now. It has been working great!

What is PC Matic RT?

My PC Matic tries to install PC Matic RT but fails - the main screen indicates RT is starting but it cannot start. I believe RT is conflicting with Symantic End Point Protection and Symantec is winning. Is that the most probable reason RT will not run on this computer?

:wp:

It is possible that there is a conflict with the Symantec program, but we have had no other reports of this being an issue. The most likely probability is corruption in the definition files. Please try this:

1) Please go to Start>Programs>PC Pitstop>PC Matic and click on 'uninstall PC MaticRT'.

2) Go to Start>Control Panel>Folder Options>View and under "Hidden files and folders" move the dot to "Show hidden files, folders, and drives".

3) For Vista and Windows 7,, navigate to My Computer>Local Drive C>Program Data>PCPitstopDat> then right click on the folder named datRT and delete that folder. For XP the folder is locatred at C:\Documents and Settings\All users\Application Data\PCPitstop.

4) Close all open windows, then open PC Matic again and click on the "Not Protected" icon to reinstall PC MaticRT. Wait five or mlocatedore minutes for PC MaticRT to download a new set of definitions. The icon should change to "Protected" with a message that PC MaticRT is running once the download completes.

If this does not resolve the problem, another possible source of issues would be if the Windows services have been altered from the default configuration. The following services need to be running and set to start automatically:

PCMaticRT

RPC Locater

Server

Workstation

TCP/IP NETBios

1) PC MaticRT is very new so were are still in the process of seeing what the issues are going to be with this program, but anytime two real-time agents are running concurrently there is potential for conflict. So far there has been no reports of problems with any specific product other than a one-off here or there. If there was a general conflict we would expect to see reports from multiple users, and this has not happened to date.

2) The closest similarity is probably Sunbelt VIPRE's Active Protection

When I installed PC Matic with RT Protection and rebooted, Sunbelt's VIPRE Premium Active Protection would not start (reported an error starting). When I unchecked RT Protection for PC Matic in the task bar and enabled VIPRE Active Protection, VIPRE Active Protection ran.

- Tom

Thank you for reporting that information. Running VIPRE Active Protection and PC Matic RT is essentially trying to run the same program simutaneously.

Another issue with PCMatic RT is that I think it automatically downloads definition updates. It took me a while to try and figure out where 130mb of download was coming from each afternoon between 4-5PM Eastern time. I'm, unfortunately, on HughesNet satellite with 375 mb daily download allowance and that 130mb or so was really bothering me. I finally realized that started about the time I upgraded PCMatic to include the RT feature. I've disabled the RT feature and the afternoon downloads have stopped. I read through this forum and didn't see anyone else mention the problem so thought I'd advance the theory. Am I correct Intel Guy?

Thanks,

Bud

HEllo Bud, I'm not sure about the specific time period you mention but there are daily updates to the definitions.

Shogan,

I mentioned that it's a "problem" and understand that it's only a problem to anyone with a daily download allowance. I had forgotten that I ran into this with PC Pitstop's Exterminate. I believe Exterminate downloaded newer definitions each time you ran it. I don't know how many out there have satellite but it would be nice to be able to set the download time period manually for those of us saddled with this thing. It's a pain but I've no other option. I just thought I'd warn anyone else who might be searching for where they're losing a ton of download capability. :-)

Thanks.

Bud

Thank you for the additional information.

I will make sure out development team knows about this issue. I will submit it as a feature request.