Sign in to follow this  
richyrich

Disabled Services

I recently have noticed some services are being disabled during scheduled scans. This does not seem to happen with on-demand scans. The email report shows something like:

"The NeatWorksDatabaseController service was optimized."

From what I can see, optimized means the service is set to manual in the services panel and has to be manually started when needed. This has happened to several services I use regularly. Is there a way to white list these services to prevent the "optimization" of needed programs? I have looked for related topics in the forum but was unable to find anything addressing this issue.

Any help will be appreciated.

Many thanks.

:wp:

You can add any services you do not want changed to the services white list.

Make sure PC Matic is not set to 'Auto fix' in the Options menu so that the dashboard is displayed at the end of the scan. Then, after a fresh scan, click on Services in the upper right area of the dashboard results to open the Services options, then put a check mark by any service that you do no want to have changed.

Thanks for the help. I believe this will fix my problem. From what I am seeing, this has to be done with a manual scan. It appears the auto fix is a standard part of a scheduled scan.

Thanks, again.

Closely related, but a little different: PC Pitstop "optimised" my remote VPN service (Aventail) and now I cannot use it at all. (It will not load from the "program" menu (says "The Aventail VPN Manager Servicer is not currently running", so cannot load.)) Looking in msconfig the tickbox opposite Aventail is still ticked, so it doesn't look as though clicking here will get my service back. Is there any way to retrieve my lost service short of reinstalling the whole thing? (And I am not sure I am able to do this without involving the IT department of the computer I am connecting to.)

You should be able to go to Start>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services and scroll down to the Aventail service, then double-click on it to open the properties and make sure that the service is set to Automatic and is started. If you need to change the status from Manual to Automatic, use the drop down menu and be sure to click on the 'Apply' button after making the change.

I am sorry. I am only marginally adept at roaming around in computers. Your kind direction to go to Programs and Services will undoubtedly work in XP. But Mr. Gates has changed his interface (again). I am running Win-7 and I cannot find the equivalent section in his new Control Panel.

You can go to Start and right-click on Computer and select 'Manage'. Then from the window that opens select 'Services and applications', then just Services.

That will get you to the same place.

Glad to hear you got it working. :tup:

If you haven't already, be sure to white list that service before doing Fix All next time PC Matic is run.

I was able to correct my problem with Neat works on one computer, but I have a similar problem with services on another computer. That computer is having my Linksys media server disabled every time PC Matic runs. When I run a manual scan and go to services, there is no column for white list on the services page. Also, the auto fix option is not enabled.

Is there any reason why this one computer does not show a white list option? I have four other computers using PC Matic that do have the option available.

Thanks for you help.

The Linksys Media Server has been white listed from this end. Let us know if that does not resolve the problem.

As far as the white list option not being displayed, is that computer running Internet Explorer 6? There may be some display issues from using IE6. You may want to think about upgrading to IE8.

If the issue is not IE6, is there anything unusual about the display resolution or DPI settings on that computer?

The computer in question was using IE7, but I did upgrade to IE8 to see if that helped. No change.

I access the computer as well as a couple of other computers primarily using remote desktop. When using RDT, the resolution is 1440x900 on all three of these computers. Two are not experiencing the problem with the services check boxes. When I directly access the problem computer with physical monitor, the resolution is set to 1152x864 using its NVIDIA adapter. I tried changing to 1280x1024, but there was no difference in results.

Thank you for the additional information. Let me see what I can find out. What is the computer name, or the make and CPU speed?

Just to verify, when you logged in locally and changed the resolutuon to 1280x1024, a new PC Matic scan was completed before checking for the check boxes, is that correct?

The computer name is c28048-a.

I am pretty sure I did re-run a PC Matic scan after upgrading to IE8 and changing display settings. But to be sure, I just did it again. No change.

I did notice this time that the Wh of Whitelist is showing above the vertical slider on the Installed Services list. It appears to me there is a problem with wrapping of displayed services and vendors. For the service DirectUpdate Engine, PC Matic shows the vendor as http://directupdate.net/, which does not wrap like other vendor names and appears to be pushing the Whitelist out of view.

I would also note the DirectUpdate Engine probably should be whitelisted as a rule. I have screen shots of bad and good display if I can send a Word document. I do not see that option.

Thank you for the additional information. Let me see what I can find out. What is the computer name, or the make and CPU speed?

Just to verify, when you logged in locally and changed the resolutuon to 1280x1024, a new PC Matic scan was completed before checking for the check boxes, is that correct?

Thank you for the computer name.

That is exactly where we are going. We are looking for a service on that computer with a really long name with no spaces which would be causing IE to push the whitelist column out of the viewing area. We should have enough information now to resolve the issue. Thank you for your assistance.

Thanks. Your efforts are much appreciated.

Thank you for the computer name.

That is exactly where we are going. We are looking for a service on that computer with a really long name with no spaces which would be causing IE to push the whitelist column out of the viewing area. We should have enough information now to resolve the issue. Thank you for your assistance.

Please run a new PC Matic scan on that computer and check the services white list at the end of the scan and let us know if the issue is not resolved.

That did fix the dispaly issue; I can see the Whitelist check boxes now. Thanks.

I did notice all of the check boxes are dithered and cannot be selected. Is that normal?

Please run a new PC Matic scan on that computer and check the services white list at the end of the scan and let us know if the issue is not resolved.

That is normal if the service has been white listed. If you mouse over the check box it should display a message to that effect.