Sign in to follow this  
Bob_V

Nti Backup Now 5.5 Stops Working After Pcmatic Fixes

I have just purchased PCMatic. When I run a scan and follow with the fixes, NTI Backup Now version 5.5 stops working.

The fixes include optimisation of NTI services. If I restore the previous settings before the scan then Backup Now starts working again.

Seems the optimisation of NTI services is incorrect.

Suggestions please.

Bob Vaughan

IntelGuy

I have done the following:-

1. Run NTI Backup Now which started correctly.

2. Run PCMatic and applied fixes.

3. Run NTI Backup Now. The following message appears "NTI Backup Now 5 was not installed properly. Please re-install the software"

4. Restored settings of PCMatic to settings before PCMatic was run.

5 Run NTI Backup Now which started correctly.

The same problem occurs on my other laptop so it is not specific to this machine.

Bob Vaughan.

Please go to Start>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services and verify that the four services here are set to Automaitc and are started:

NTI Backup Now 5 Agent Service

NTI Backup Now 5 Backup Service

NTI Backup Now 5 Scheduler Service

NTI Backup Now 5 Shadow Service

Then verify that the NTI backup is again working. Next run PC Matic once more, and if the NTI backup is broken again, please go back into services and let us know if any of those four services were changed from Automatic. They should not be getting changed at this point.

Please go to Start>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services and verify that the four services here are set to Automaitc and are started:

NTI Backup Now 5 Agent Service

NTI Backup Now 5 Backup Service

NTI Backup Now 5 Scheduler Service

NTI Backup Now 5 Shadow Service

Then verify that the NTI backup is again working. Next run PC Matic once more, and if the NTI backup is broken again, please go back into services and let us know if any of those four services were changed from Automatic. They should not be getting changed at this point.

IntelGuy,

The four NTI services are running and set to automatic before and after the scan and fixes applied.

I now have a little more information.

When I run the scan the results show only one fix to be applied as follows:-

The Low Security Threat Test is showing red.

If I click on the test then I get a pop up screen with a red spot showing Name:- Cookie:Tracking Cookie, Category:- Cookie (general), Level:-Level 5

If I click on the Fixes Button I get the following:- Test Area:- Security Low, Test Name:- Tracking Cookies, Scan Result:- 1 Tracking Cookie Found, Recommendation:- Remove.

When I apply the fixes NTI Backup Now 5.5 fails to start as described previously. Restoring presumably restores the cookie and NTI Backup Now runs again.

Bob Vaughan

Edited by Bob_V

There is some indication that the issue may be a result of the NTI program creating some invalid registry entries.

Please open a ticket at our help desk so that we can get a log file and find out exactly what items are being changed.

You can open a ticket from here:

http://www.pcpitstop.com/store/service.asp

There is some indication that the issue may be a result of the NTI program creating some invalid registry entries.

Please open a ticket at our help desk so that we can get a log file and find out exactly what items are being changed.

You can open a ticket from here:

http://www.pcpitstop...ore/service.asp

Problem now resolved.

I must congratulate you on your excellent and rapid response to this problem.

NTI Backup Now 5.5 is now working correctly after a PCMatic scan and fixes applied.

Bob Vaughan.

I have recently changed from NTI Backup Now 5 to NTI Backup Now EZ and the old problem has reappeared. Namely if I run PCMatic scan then the installation of EZ is corrupted and I have to re-install it.

Seems like PCMatic is screwing around with the registry setting again.

Please help.

Bob Vaughan.