Sign in to follow this  
Distressed

Pcmatic (Paid)--Is It Webware?

Hi. I recently bought PCMatic...only to find that I can only open it up when I'm online!

If I'm not online, I very briefly get the splash screen. Then I get an IE error page, saying that it can't connect to the Net. The error page is totally unclickable, and I can't close it via right-clicking on the program tab on the bottom of the page. The only way to close it and PCMatic is to go into Windows Task Manager, and shut it down there.

This does not make me a happy camper! ;)

Is PCMatic meant to be webware? ISTM it would be more sensible to, for instance, use the defrag option when *offline*. And, since I'm on dial-up, I'd rather not tie up the phone line during defrag.

I went back and reread the little manual and the info on the site. I didn't see anything indicating that it only works when online. Did I miss something? Or is there something wrong???

Thanks! :)

Yes, PC Matic, as well as Optimize, DiskMD, Exterminate, and Driver Alert, all run from a remote server.

The information is on the FAQ page under the product requirements:

http://www.pcpitstop.com/faq/pcmatic.asp

What are the system requirements?

**An internet connection is required to run PC Matic.**

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7, Vista and XP

Processor: 100MHz or greater

Memory: 64 MB or greater

Hard Disk: Need 50 MB or more of free space

Video: Super VGA, 15-inch monitor, 800x600 resolution

The splash screen can be closed using Alt+F4.

Our software comes with a 30-day 100% satisfaction money-back guarantee. If you are not satisfied with your purchase or how the program works, just let us know and your money will be refunded.

Hmmm. I'll think that over. Thanks for your prompt response.

I just double-checked the PDF manual, and it has a similar statement. I don't think I would necessarily interpret that as "this program works ONLY online, even for defragging". And IMHO, it would be MUCH better to make full disclosure up front, in large type--maybe on this page: http://www.pcpitstop.com/store/pcmatic.asp

Why would you use an Internet connection for defragging? I've done it a couple of times with this software. But don't you generally want everything shut down? I normally do defrag in Safe Mode, but I can't get an Internet connection from there, even when I select the "with Networking" option.

FWIW!

Yes, PC Matic, as well as Optimize, DiskMD, Exterminate, and Driver Alert, all run from a remote server.

The information is on the FAQ page under the product requirements:

http://www.pcpitstop...faq/pcmatic.asp

The splash screen can be closed using Alt+F4.

Our software comes with a 30-day 100% satisfaction money-back guarantee. If you are not satisfied with your purchase or how the program works, just let us know and your money will be refunded.

So if I were to try and run it to fix problems on a computer without internet access, it simply wouldn't be able to do anything? :huh:

So if I were to try and run it to fix problems on a computer without internet access, it simply wouldn't be able to do anything? :huh:

That is correct. It would try to start by opening a blank window that looks like this:

Posted Image

... and that would be all.

Why. All PCP is doing is going w/ the trend toward cloud computing. The app works awesome.

Ever try working on a computer that doesn't have internet access and using a utility that diagnoses problem by accessing the internet?

It is a show stopper.

Not to mention if I am working on a computer that is infected the very first thing I do is cut off it's internet access, which is what any responsible person would do. ;)

Thanks for the feedback.

1. I think that we should do a lot better job telling the customer that they need an internet connection. Probably telling them about F4 since not everybody knows that.

2. Bruce, I understand your point, but the advantages are so big to doing it in the cloud. The application is "alive" like a web page. So therefore, if there are any updates, it happens automatically. This allows to get rid of bugs faster and add new features faster. Both are key.

3. There is one middle ground that we can explore. We can and do cache the application, so in the event that there was no internet, then they could run out of the cache. Optimize works like this already. It still assumes that you have an internet connection the first time around to fill up the cache.

I understand the advantages that running from the internet can have Rob.

I think it is also important to understand that in an area like I live, there are a lot of people who still use dial up, (god help us all) AOL, and or have problems that don't allow them to access the internet.

If a person for instance updates a driver, or gets an update from MS Updates that breaks something, (never saw that before right) and they couldn't get on the internet, then PCMatic would be of no help to them at all. It would be a hard sell for me to a lot of customers.

People want "software" that they have access to no matter what.

Perhaps you should market PCMatic as a "web service". Most folks don't buy into the latest terms like "cloud", they still use silly old terms like the internet, servers, and software :P

I was under the impression because PCMatic was an exe, aka installable, that it was an actual software application, I had no idea it was just a web service running on your servers.

Edited by Bruce

Well, I'm glad I checked the forum before I bought it. I won't be bothering now. I can't rely on my internet connection and certainly don't want it tied up when doing a defrag.

Shame, cos until I read this thread, I was thinking it sounded good. :(

I understand the advantages that running from the internet can have Rob.

I think it is also important to understand that in an area like I live, there are a lot of people who still use dial up, (god help us all) AOL, and or have problems that don't allow them to access the internet.

If a person for instance updates a driver, or gets an update from MS Updates that breaks something, (never saw that before right) and they couldn't get on the internet, then PCMatic would be of no help to them at all. It would be a hard sell for me to a lot of customers.

People want "software" that they have access to no matter what.

Perhaps you should market PCMatic as a "web service". Most folks don't buy into the latest terms like "cloud", they still use silly old terms like the internet, servers, and software :P

I was under the impression because PCMatic was an exe, aka installable, that it was an actual software application, I had no idea it was just a web service running on your servers.

Our full tests were also 100% "cloud" based, but of course we did not fix anything. The only way to be cloud based and fix things too, is to have an "application" that wraps them together. That's what we have done. It's kind of cool how it is designed.

There are certainly are pockets of users out there that are not on broadband, but I guess that is the price we pay for being on the leading/bleeding edge. I think over time, broadband will be universal and also applications such as ours will be too.

Actually, the uptake on PC Matic has been amazing and it is going great. We shipped PC Matic about a year ago, and this is the first complaint I have heard about not supporting dial up. BTW. Just to be clear, PC Matic will work on dial up, but it is not recommended. I have not done it but I am guessing that it would be painful.

Well, I'm glad I checked the forum before I bought it. I won't be bothering now. I can't rely on my internet connection and certainly don't want it tied up when doing a defrag.

Shame, cos until I read this thread, I was thinking it sounded good. :(

Sorry to hear that PC Matic is not the right product for your needs.

To clarify, the Internet connection is not in constant use while PC Matic is running. It is only used to communicate with the server as needed. However, using the computer during a defrag can cause poor results, as files in use cannot be defragged, and changing the hard drive's contents while the defrag is running is counter-productive.