Sign in to follow this  
Joe C

Limewire

Microsoft knows what it's operating systems are used for and chooses to turn a blind eye to it.

Email providers know what their software is being used for and chooses to turn a blind eye to it.

FTP software makers know what their software is being used for and chooses to turn a blind eye to it.

and on and on and on.

Perhaps the best method would be to just shut down the internet, force all software and operating system makers out of business................

you can say whatever you like Bruce, but it still does not change the fact of what's being downloaded, and they are going to get shut down

Of course it doesn't change what is being downloaded. :lol: That is exactly my point. :P

Shutting down Limewire certainly won't change what is being downloaded either Joe. :laughing:

Both sides of the issue have validity. In fact, years ago when we edited rule #7 here at the Pit, it was to clarify and draw a distinctive line with regards to P2P programs versus what may be illegally gained through their misuse.

7) Do not ask for, offer to supply, or post links to, copies of commercial software, MP3s, movies, CD Keys, Product Keys, Serial Numbers, etc. or other intellectual property for which you do not hold the copyright. Do not post full copies of copyrighted articles from elsewhere on the Internet, post a link to the article instead. You may discuss how to install and get any Peer to Peer Network program to work. This includes Kazaa, Bearshare, WinMX, and Limewire, just to name a few. However, any discussions on how to circumvent copy protection, obtaining any kind of illegal software, MP3's, movies, etc., will be removed without notice.

http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

I haven't read the ruling, so my comments may be out of line, but I remember that when Napster was shut down, it was because their servers actually contained and traded copyrighted material. The software itself was not liable. In this case, Limewire does not maintain servers that hold copyrighted material, yet it appears that the software is being held liable.

As pointed out by others, many different applications can be misused for illegal purposes, including Operating Systems as well as programs such as Limewire. This should make the illegal activity and it's perpetrator liable, not the software.

As with the demise of Napster, this attack on Limewire will do little to stop the P2P activity on the web, so I'm not too concerned about this ruling taking money out of my pocket for all of the machines that will still need to be cleaned because of foolish choices made by actual software users.

:) Y

There will be come a time, that all p2p sites are history.

Sorry people for my words, but it is true.

Brain\RiaaA take care for this.

Last year I was reading that a woman from the Usa must paying a price of 1 million dollars for downloading and uploading music.

She had 24 mp3 files downloaded and 7 uploaded.

I think and I do know sure for 99,999 percent that she had not, fink on the option make ip-address invisible.

The record industry loose his incoming, so you can sure positive, that all the p2p-sites go down in the future.

Look downloading of music and movies, they don't stop that, it is not possible, there are many manors for doing this, but p2p; it will be history, belief me.

:geezer:

You are wrong. Peer to peer applications will never cease to exist.

Edited by Y kawika

You are wrong. Peer to peer applications will never cease to exist.

adam, your PM box is full.

adam, your PM box is full.

I keep it that way so the mods can't get to me :D

I've made room for two messages though. Don't be too hard on me now, Y.

I keep it that way so the mods can't get to me :D

I've made room for two messages though. Don't be too hard on me now, Y.

You could block others in the old forum from pm'ing you so the mods couldn't bother you..... I'll have to check the settings in this forum now :laughing:

You could block others in the old forum from pm'ing you so the mods couldn't bother you..... I'll have to check the settings in this forum now :laughing:

Genius! :laughing:

the media being digital actually reduces what use to take place prior, dubbing tapes was the thing in the 80's/ 90's and no one could do a thing about it, technology is in the favor of the artists !

artists most certainly have the upper hand, especially when they send out their covert opps to pass on fakes riddled with malware they have the cash to do so.

though i don't condone such actions as copying this media' i would also care less if folks did.

the media being digital actually reduces what use to take place prior, dubbing tapes was the thing in the 80's/ 90's and no one could do a thing about it, technology is in the favor of the artists !

Actually, our constitutional rights say we can make a copy if we own it

artists most certainly have the upper hand, especially when they send out their covert opps to pass on fakes riddled with malware they have the cash to do so.

Are you saying it's the artist that provide trojans on illegally downloaded music?

though i don't condone such actions as copying this media' i would also care less if folks did.

It really makes no difference to me either, it's just that a lot of pc's end up with malware when they do Edited by Joe C

Actually, our constitutional rights say we can make a copy if we own it

My question would be is there a law stating that you cannot share something you own? I seriously don't know, but I honestly can't justify there being one either.

yup... I think there's something somewhere that states you can't share your music cd with 10,000 other strangers. The RIAA probably has more to say on that subject, but the RIAA also tramples on our personal rights too

My question would be is there a law stating that you cannot share something you own? I seriously don't know, but I honestly can't justify there being one either.

Of course there is no such law. You can share anything you "own".

That in and of itself is the problem with copyright laws.

You don't own the music, and movies, software, operating systems.

You merely have permission to watch, listen and use the apps/OS. You loose that right when you violate the agreement you made when you purchased, rented, downloaded, installed........

Now if you want to share some food you "own", or some beer you "own" you are of course free to do so.

But you don't own the digital content you have.

joe of course malware can be purchased at a price.

joe malware is designed to run on a specific platform, it's compiled specifically for it, why is that joe ?

purchasing malware and getting malware for a price the same things?

joe malware is designed to run on a specific platform, it's compiled specifically for it, why is that joe ?

I dunno... you tell me?

let me guess....For Apple computers?

In many cases the malware is the platform........ MS Windows.....and it's far from free.

My clear understanding of Limewire joe is that it is p2p, meaning person 2 person(peer 2 peer). Limewire absolutely has no servers that host the files on their end, it's all on the peers computers allowing the share option on their files. That's another thing I wanted to talk about, the user has been giving the option to share their files with an easy On and Off switch for sharing. Limewire in this case is just the messenger. (Don't kill him, kill the one sending the message). Your celebration to shut down Limewire is clearly naive and no disrespect (you are contradicting yourself), might as well Shut Down the major Hard Drive Company's, at the end of that day they are providing users to store their illegal acts. This is what Bruce means, when a company like Limewire, in my example a Major HDD company, let's say (Western Digital), once it's sold or giving free to you, it's on the users discretion of what they want to do with it.

EDIT: There is one fix to this Piracy JOE C, and it's to have the ISP's monitor what their users do with their internet connections. At the end of the day the ISP is the one offering the Permissions and the Privileges, as how they offer it, they can take it away. I still think it wouldn't end P2P but it will sure cut it down by half.

Edited by A+2AMD

there are the facts:

1. every pc I encounter with limewire installed also has a trojan related to a music file from limewire too, The trojans get cleaned and limewire goes off the drive.

2. A judge ruled that limewire has to shut down

3. Doesn't hurt my feelings one bit

Edited by Joe C

Just about every PC that is sent to me for work has windows installed!!

Many judges have ruled that Microsoft was/is/and continue to break numerous laws.................and continues to do so on a regular basis as case after case over the years has shown. :lol:

Wouldn't hurt my feelings one bit if......................... :shifty:

Many judges have ruled that Microsoft was/is/and continue to break numerous laws.................and continues to do so on a regular basis as case after case over the years has shown. :lol:

Ouch! Would hurt my wallet though! :lol:

Maybe you should start a thread about M$ ?