Sign in to follow this  
mccoady

Pc Matic

I recently tried PC Matic during the trial period where you could actually use the Fix It button and while I think it did speed up a couple of my older computers I'm not sure there was much of a difference on my later ones. I'm trying to decide whether it's worthwhile to subscribe to PC Matic since I currently use Avast, SuperAntiSpyware, Malwarebytes, and Diskeeper while I know you can never have too many anti-spyware programs I probably wouldn't use PC Matic's defragger. I also try to keep my drivers updated (if I'm aware of one) plus Windows Update does update some of them and generally try to keep all my computers up to date. I believe the PC Matic scans I ran maybe found one driver update for each of my 5 computers.

Do you honestly think I would be gaining anything with PC

Matic?

Does PC Matic contain pretty scaled down versions of your other software?

Edited by mccoady

PC Matic contains all of the functions of Optimize, DiskMD, Driver Alert, Exterminate, and OverDrive. Nothing is scaled down.

In your particular case, the convenience of running just one program with a one-click Fix All would be the selling point. If you prefer to use four or five different programs and keep a schedule of when what program needs to be run, then you would not benefit much from PC Matic. But if you would prefer the time-saving of setting a schedule one time, then having all of the maintenance functions performed automatically not just for one computer, but for up to five computers, then PC Matic would be a great time-saver, as well as providing both performance and security.

There are more details here: http://www.pcpitstop.com/store/pcmatic.asp

Thank you for your interest in PC Matic.

I believe I'll go ahead and give this a try for a year but a few more questions:

1. Do you recommend setting "Auto Fix" to On?

2. Should I even run PC Matic defrag in a scan since my Diskeeper runs automatically in the background defragging when necessary?

3. If you don't want to use defrag do you need to select "Skip Defrag" and also uncheck it under "Drives to scan"

4. What is the difference between partial and full optimization setting and is this connected to defragging the drive

5. Any chance Chkdsk could be added as a feature?

Edited by mccoady

1. I personally would not use autofix the first three or four times as I would want to review what drivers are being installed and what is being flagged as malware. After a few runs, most of the major changes should be done, so that is when I would enable autofix.

2. If you prefer the Diskeeper product, you should skip the PC Matic defrag. You can also skip that drive. PC Matic most likely uses a different defrag algorithm than Diskeeper, so the two programs would spend all of their time undoing each other's work.

3. Yes. Unchecking "Drives to scan" also stops the analysis during the scan phase.

4. Partial optimization defrags the files and folders. Full optimization defrags the files and folders, then moves every file on the drive as close as possible to the outside edge of the platter(s) for faster access. This can take hours the first time it is run. (Yes.)

5. I will forward adding Chkdsk to the developers as a feature request.

And for the record, PC Matic has a 30-day 100% satisfaction money-back guarantee. If you are not satisfied with your purchase, just open a ticket at our help desk and we will get your order refunded.

Thanks for the info! I don't know if I necessarily prefer Diskeeper over PC Matic defrag because I'm not computer literate enough to know which is a better program but you would think since Diskeeper senses when the drive needs dragged and does so automatically it would be better than defragging once a week with PC matic but hey what do I know.

I forgot to mention about adding Chkdsk as a feature it would need to be able to check both boxes at the beginning of the process (like you have to do manually) and respond to PC Matic's scheduler this would be such a great addition.

I will include your suggestion to add both chkdsk functions in the feature request. Thanks for the follow up.

Fragmentation really does not become a performance issue until it exceeds 5% or so. Once a week may be enough to avoid any performance hits from fragmentation, or as an alternative PC Matic could be scheduled to automatically run daily. Depending on the resources available, that may be a more favorable solution than having a background process running all of the time doing a frag analysis.

I am a registered user of PCmatic and I am getting the following error message when I start the program:

File: PCMaticUI-Boot js?254

line 223

Error: 'REG' is undefined

Please email me corrective action....

I am running Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium

HP Pavilion 2.50 gigahertz Intel Core2 Quad Q9300

8 GB memory

320 GB HD

Thank you

:wp:

I have opened a ticket for you with our help desk. If the issue is not resolved please reply to that email for further assistance.

PC Matic contains all of the functions of Optimize, DiskMD, Driver Alert, Exterminate, and OverDrive. Nothing is scaled down.

In your particular case, the convenience of running just one program with a one-click Fix All would be the selling point. If you prefer to use four or five different programs and keep a schedule of when what program needs to be run, then you would not benefit much from PC Matic. But if you would prefer the time-saving of setting a schedule one time, then having all of the maintenance functions performed automatically not just for one computer, but for up to five computers, then PC Matic would be a great time-saver, as well as providing both performance and security.

There are more details here: http://www.pcpitstop...ore/pcmatic.asp

Not sure if it is the right "channel" but after running the "free/scan" version, I cannot tell if the PC Matic would allow me to unselect any recommendations/changes it wants to make. For example, I don't want to use "Fix All" button and the scan tells me that I should turn ON the System Restore. I don't want it to fix that because I use Norton Ghost for regular backups and have specifically turned OFF the System Restore. Would the paid version allow me to unselect any changes the software recommends?

Thanks,

Anil

:wp:

Only 'Fixes' are implemented by PC Matic. 'Advice' items such as enabling System Restore need to be done manually by the user.

The following features can be skipped when running the PC Matic scan and/or Fix All:

1) To skip the defragmentation click on Options - Scan Options - Type of Disk Optimization - Select the drive - Select Skip defrag from the drop down menu.

2) To skip a driver update click on 'Drivers Test' under 'Other' on the Scan results, then remove the checkmark for any driver you do not wish to have updated.

3) To skip or change the Malware Scan click on Options - Scan Options - Quick/Full Malware Scan - Select either Skip, Full or Quick from the dropdown menu.

Many more items are in the process of being added to the skip list.

I prefer 'Full'. It can take several hours to move all of the files the first time it is run on 'Full', but it will be much, much faster after that.

I keep coming up with more questions as I play around with the settings:

1.If I understand right defragging the drive is part of "Disk Optimization" since it has the option of skipping the defrag in the drop down box under the "Options" menu, but if you go to "Schedule New Event" and setup a scan schedule you are not given the choice to skip the defrag like you are under "Options" in the main menu. It doesn't seem to make a difference if the defrag box is unchecked because after completing the scan schedule you can mouse over "Info" and it shows "Full defrag". Why isn't there a "Skip Defrag" in the "Schedule New Event" menu?

2. When/why would you set PC Matic to "Auto Reboot?

Thanks!

To skip defrag for a scheduled scan you need to remove the check mark from these two boxes:

scheduled.jpg

You can set PC Matic to auto reboot if you do not have any programs open that would need to have files saved.