Sign in to follow this  
divineimage

Xp Users Should Stop Using Pcmatic

ALERT

After the last week of continued issues on 5 machines running XP2 & XP3 I have been dealing with the creators of PCMATIC to try and figure out what is causing the issues. Today i received an e-mail from Pitstop crew telling me that the problem is much worse than anticipated.It took over a week to convince them there was an issue but finally after doing the research and testing along with the crew they now know it.

Just yesterday i started experiencing more troubles with PCMATIC changes made to my Reg files after I hit Fix All.

It has taken 2 days just to figure out how to fix the problems.

as with most software out here one should proceed with caution until the bugs are worked out.

Maybe you can afford to be the crash test dummy but most of us can't.

WHat's it doin? I haven't had any issues on the 5+ machines I've used it on. :huh:

Today i received an e-mail from Pitstop crew telling me that the problem is much worse than anticipated.

Customer reported a very small problem with the application. The problem is that in certain cases using xp, after PC Matic resizes system restore to the recommended size, after a reboot this value could be reverted back to what it was by windows. Absolutely no harm is done as a result of this problem, it is just that the fix to the system restore size does not "stick". This bug is "worse than anticipated" in the fact that it affects more users than we initially thought. System restore cleaning in pcmatic has been out for months now and this is the first report of this issue thus far. But through time spent working with the customer on the issue, we have been able to reproduce the problem and better understand its scope.

It took over a week to convince them there was an issue

There was never any doubt that there was an issue. It takes time to resolve difficult issues that have only been reported by one customer. Customer was asked to allow the developer of the system restore code himself (me) to remotely connect to his machine to further analyze this problem however the customers paranoia of a "kiss of death" as he called it, occuring to his system prevented him from granting us permission to help him resolve his issue in a more timely manner and we had to resort to using email to solve the issue.

but finally after doing the research and testing along with the crew they now know it.

And now that we know about this problem, our system restore tips have been removed from the application for xp users until we can get to the bottom of this issue.

Just yesterday i started experiencing more troubles with PCMATIC changes made to my Reg files after I hit Fix All.

Which he refuses to elaborate on so we can fix these issues, instead he has just been insulting staff members instead of helping us fix the problems.

as with most software out here one should proceed with caution until the bugs are worked out.

No software is perfect. Nobody has ever said that there are 0 bugs in PC Matic. However we have a very dedicated support team and are committed to making sure our (rational) customers are happy. In what other company would you have the actual developer of the program feature himself working directly with customers to solve their problems?

Maybe you can afford to be the crash test dummy but most of us can't.

Our software does not put anyone in the position of being a "test dummy". Through the program options you can roll back all registry changes made by the application. If for any reason anyone has further problems our team is more than happy to help out. In a high number of the cases that get reported of our software breaking something it turns out that it was actually something else that changed the way their computer behaved. A recent update or another tool they installed. Regardless, we still help the customer solve the problem and if it was a problem with our software we fix it promptly.

Sounds good Rob. For the life of me, I'm not real sure why ppl rely on Sys Resto anyhow. At best, it's only worked for me one time, other than that, it's a disk hog and a waste of time.

If you have any issues, HDD imaging is where it's at in the event of a failure.

Thanks for fillin in the "gaps" in the story.

Tx

For the life of me, I'm not real sure why ppl rely on Sys Resto anyhow. At best, it's only worked for me one time, other than that, it's a disk hog and a waste of time.

It's funny you should mention that because I personally agree with you and that exact point was brought up to this particular customer. In my opinion, using system restore puts your system in a state where you have no idea which changes you've made to your system are in place and which aren't. I have never used it in my life and would only restore a computer in a manner similar to that if it was to get it to a point where I could back up vital files and then do a fresh windows install. System restore is often relied on by novice computer users because they view it as a way to "undo" harmful system changes but in my opinion it causes things to be out of sync by only restoring certain aspects of the pc.

So much for keeping my personal opinion aside :]

Yes, thanks Rob. Your professional attitude and help in Customer Service is refreshing. Thank you for doing an excellent job snooping out even the smallest issues.

robw's voice sounds familiar.......but it was DriverAlert2 that I had trouble with......

BTW robw, you did good /\, I dislike those that want to complain but not assist in helping figure out the problem. ;) Would'a been my rig, you'da been there........

:geezer:

Customer reported a very small problem with the application. The problem is that in certain cases using xp, after PC Matic resizes system restore to the recommended size, after a reboot this value could be reverted back to what it was by windows. Absolutely no harm is done as a result of this problem, it is just that the fix to the system restore size does not "stick". This bug is "worse than anticipated" in the fact that it affects more users than we initially thought. System restore cleaning in pcmatic has been out for months now and this is the first report of this issue thus far. But through time spent working with the customer on the issue, we have been able to reproduce the problem and better understand its scope.

There was never any doubt that there was an issue. It takes time to resolve difficult issues that have only been reported by one customer. Customer was asked to allow the developer of the system restore code himself (me) to remotely connect to his machine to further analyze this problem however the customers paranoia of a "kiss of death" as he called it, occuring to his system prevented him from granting us permission to help him resolve his issue in a more timely manner and we had to resort to using email to solve the issue.

And now that we know about this problem, our system restore tips have been removed from the application for xp users until we can get to the bottom of this issue.

Which he refuses to elaborate on so we can fix these issues, instead he has just been insulting staff members instead of helping us fix the problems.

No software is perfect. Nobody has ever said that there are 0 bugs in PC Matic. However we have a very dedicated support team and are committed to making sure our (rational) customers are happy. In what other company would you have the actual developer of the program feature himself working directly with customers to solve their problems?

Our software does not put anyone in the position of being a "test dummy". Through the program options you can roll back all registry changes made by the application. If for any reason anyone has further problems our team is more than happy to help out. In a high number of the cases that get reported of our software breaking something it turns out that it was actually something else that changed the way their computer behaved. A recent update or another tool they installed. Regardless, we still help the customer solve the problem and if it was a problem with our software we fix it promptly.

Poor form. Should never, ever bring out details of interaction with a customer, whether negative or positive. It's just poor form, bad business practice, and to be honest I would dump any piece of software in a heart beat for that reason and the reason alone.

If explaining away problems needs to be done, do it with the customer and leave it at that. There will always be people who have issues, problems, and discover bugs, or even have un-reproducible issues/ problems. They will sometimes be nasty and uncooperative.

It is however a kiss of death to the reputation of developers when this posture of publicly picking apart a paying customer is taken.

I have seen such attitudes/stances taken thousands of times in my years of use of foss software, the developers who do this should stick with dealing with bugs, and not the public.

Just bad form, no other way to put it, and it does nothing to promote ones product.

Of course the next step in such a process will be just to delete any posts that don't praise the software.

robw should rethink publicly divulging private communications between customers and customer support.

Edited by Bruce

A proper response to an extremely dissatisfied customer should be dealt with in a much better way...............

Perhaps something like.

We apologize for any problems you may have experienced with the use of our products. We are working to resolve the issues you have had, and would be happy to keep working with you to resolve those issues. However in light of your dissatisfaction with our software we would like to offer you a full refund along with our sincere apologies.

Thank You for trying our product we hope we can do business with you again in the future.

Leave it at that or let someone who knows how to deal with paying customers handle such folks.

A proper response to an extremely dissatisfied customer should be dealt with in a much better way...............

Perhaps something like.

We apologize for any problems you may have experienced with the use of our products. We are working to resolve the issues you have had, and would be happy to keep working with you to resolve those issues. However in light of your dissatisfaction with our software we would like to offer you a full refund along with our sincere apologies.

Thank You for trying our product we hope we can do business with you again in the future.

Leave it at that or let someone who knows how to deal with paying customers handle such folks.

Just to let you all know immediately after I posted this thread Rob and his pals cut off my access to the forums.

If i was such a novice i would not be here now posting my thoughts.It takes a bit more than blocking an IP.

Amazingily stupid on his part to broadcast this as my only intent was to warn others that use XP there was a problem.

PCMATIC has several bugs and people should know before they mess up their systems.

I'm not a novice user and understand more than these posts imply.

It appears that TX REDNECK works for Pcpitstop.

I immediately ended my paying customer status. I've been a customer for 5+years and a paying one since early 07'

Rest assured that this experience will damage the reputation of this company and I have since discovered that there are MANY dissatisfied customers out there posting their experience for ALL to see.

I will NEVER use their software again.

If this guy Rob worked for our company he would have lost his job immediately.

For all you others out there don't let your programming arrogance get the best of you as it did with Rob.I think it :filtered: him off that this "novice user" Discovered the BUG in his coding and he struck out like a child.

To think we were about to sign up as resellers/affiliates and promote the software to our client base.

Thanks Rob for showing me exactly who i was dealing with.

Good Luck To the rest of you

We apologize for any problems you may have experienced with PC Matic. We have resolved the issue you were experiencing with the resizing of the amount of space used for System Restore reverting after a reboot. Thank you for your assistance troubleshooting the issue and thank you for bringing it to our attention.

Thank You for trying PC Matic.

We apologize for any problems you may have experienced with PC Matic. We have resolved the issue you were experiencing with the resizing of the amount of space used for System Restore reverting after a reboot. Thank you for your assistance troubleshooting the issue and thank you for bringing it to our attention.

Thank You for trying PC Matic.

That was not the only issue with your software as i pointed out to Rob. Also interesting to note that when i uninstalled your PCMATIC it left behind MANY reg entries and files on my system. I find it ironic that a piece of software that claims to fix this kind of stuff actually causes problems when uninstalled by NOT cleaning itself COMPLETELY off the system.

Another thought if you are going to qoute scripture you first should use the authorized King James Version as the NASB and many others pervert the Word Of God. the correct qoute should have been:

Titus 3:9 But avoid foolish questions, and genealogies, and contentions, and

strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and vain

(Old Testament Law that is)

Please do yourself a favor and check out avpublishing.com to start.

We would certainly be grateful for a list of the registry entries that were left behind on your computer, or the methodology that was used to find them, as that is not by design nor have we been able to reproduce the issue at this point.

The only item I could find at all that was left behind was an MUICache entry, which should be gone the next time that cache is cleared.

reg.JPG

We would certainly be grateful for a list of the registry entries that were left behind on your computer, or the methodology that was used to find them, as that is not by design nor have we been able to reproduce the issue at this point.

The only item I could find at all that was left behind was an MUICache entry, which should be gone the next time that cache is cleared.

post-9930-127497402747_thumb.jpg

It's amazing how everyone of you that respond work for Pcpitstop. No real honesty in the forums either.

Sorry but i would not reinstall your software products on my systems. All one has to do is a full search of their system including "hidden files and folders" and you will see the stuff left behind by PcMatic.Which do not go away unless manually removed. The files are located in several places as you already know.This should concern most people.The average person that would use your software is not even aware that they are connected to your servers.

Saying you can not reproduce the problem is a lie and only meant to deceive the public from the issues with your software. Rob tried that one on me to no avail.

I'm surprised that you in particular would participate in this deception.

1 Cor.6:17, Deut.22:10

No, it is not a lie. I not only searched the registry, including hidden files and folders, I also used several software programs designed to find any left-over entries.

As this has now degenerated into name-calling on a personal level I don't see any point in continuing the conversation. I'm sorry that I was unable to assist with your issues.

No, it is not a lie. I not only searched the registry, including hidden files and folders, I also used several software programs designed to find any left-over entries.

As this has now degenerated into name-calling on a personal level I don't see any point in continuing the conversation. I'm sorry that I was unable to assist with your issues.

There is no name calling "on a personal level" just truth calling.

Do tell us what software you used to check out your system for leftovers.XP's search feature does a great job of finding almost all of them on it's own.

What this has turned into is the same it does everywhere else on Pcpitstop forums. If they don't like what you say then they cover it up and try to make you look like either the bad guy or like you don't know what you are talking about.

Funny though searching the internet and the forums many people feel the same as i do and have stopped using Pcpitstop products

I wonder how CA would look upon the e-mail exchanges i had with Rob and his lack of customer concern ?

To you IntelGuy on a personal level I'm disappointed that you qoute scripture but do not adhere to it's instructions.

We all will give an account one day "brother"

...Do tell us what software you used to check out your system for leftovers. ...

If you look at the screenshot you will see that Revo Uninstaller was used. The other program was Total Uninstall.

I found this you posted elswhere on the forums so you are aware of at least one issue of files being left behind.

WOW "Truth Huh" Your other post below: :nono:

IntelGuy6:49pm Thu Dec 31 2009

Thank you for the additional information.

Please try this:

1) uninstall PC Matic from the control panel add/remove programs

2) check the installed programs list for an entry called Exterminate3 (this entry does not say PC Pitstop in front of it so it'll appear in the list with the rest of the E's), remove the entry if it's there

3) manually go to c:\program files\pcpitstop and manually delete the PC Matic and Exterminate3 folders to make sure that all parts are removed (sometimes the malware piece, which is what's failing, leaves behind files and we want to make sure you get fresh copies) :pullhair:LEAVES BEHIND FILES GUESS WHAT IT STILL DOES

4) reinstall PC Matic from this link:( http://www.pcpitstop.com/store/get.asp?prd...ic&aff=0002 ) or our website and after installing verify that Exterminate3 is back in the add/remove program list

5) open PC Matic and go to the options and verify that the malware scan is on

6) do another scan and let us know if the issue is not resolved

Do tell us what software you used to check out your system for leftovers.XP's search feature does a great job of finding almost all of them on it's own.

Revo Uninstaller is a professional tool designed to remove junk that uninstallers miss. They must have a bug since they have missed all the files we leave behind. Please let us know what you searched for we would be happy to have a look and resolve this issue for you.

What this has turned into is the same it does everywhere else on Pcpitstop forums. If they don't like what you say then they cover it up and try to make you look like either the bad guy or like you don't know what you are talking about.

We aren't covering anything up. Our entire communication is right here for the world to see. If you have a problem with the product, we are always here to help you. Please provide us with information so we can resolve all of these problems.

I wonder how CA would look upon the e-mail exchanges i had with Rob and his lack of customer concern ?

I am not sure what this is referring to. I have great customer concern. I'm taking time out of my busy programming schedule to address issues with you on this forum just like I did in our helpdesk system. Not to mention quickly fixing the problem you had with restore points getting resized after a restart which has been fixed for awhile now. So as soon as you're ready to provide actual problem information our entire dev team will be at your disposal to get the issue resolved.

3) manually go to c:\program files\pcpitstop and manually delete the PC Matic and Exterminate3 folders to make sure that all parts are removed (sometimes the malware piece, which is what's failing, leaves behind files and we want to make sure you get fresh copies) :pullhair:LEAVES BEHIND FILES GUESS WHAT IT STILL DOES

Multiple of our products rely on the Exterminate3 files to do a malware scan. We have 3 products using this and these files are part of CA's installer for their malware engine. However you are right, we could add a check to our uninstaller to make sure that none of the products using this are there and if not to remove these files. The only downside there is that you will need to do a full malware definitions download the next time you install so if you're just updating with a new installer then your next scan will likely take some time. I will talk to the other developers and look into addressing this problem.

Revo Uninstaller is a professional tool designed to remove junk that uninstallers miss. They must have a bug since they have missed all the files we leave behind. Please let us know what you searched for we would be happy to have a look and resolve this issue for you.

We aren't covering anything up. Our entire communication is right here for the world to see. If you have a problem with the product, we are always here to help you. Please provide us with information so we can resolve all of these problems.

I am not sure what this is referring to. I have great customer concern. I'm taking time out of my busy programming schedule to address issues with you on this forum just like I did in our helpdesk system. Not to mention quickly fixing the problem you had with restore points getting resized after a restart which has been fixed for awhile now. So as soon as you're ready to provide actual problem information our entire dev team will be at your disposal to get the issue resolved.

From Your E-mail to me Rob: :nono:

"I have just done some more digging around and was able to reproduce this problem on one of my own test machines so the procmon and registry info wont be needed.(this customer was going to great links to help you resolve the issue) The problem is worse than I hoped (it is affecting more xp users than I thought) and I will probably remove the system restore tip altogether for xp until I get the problem resolved. Manually setting the system restore size to 1024 (which is what we recommend) or as close as you can get since it works by % not mb, using the windows system restore interface would be the best way to make sure your system is configured the way that pcmatic was trying to configure it."

You think System Restore is a waste of time but you think PcMatic's restore will correct any issues caused.

As i told you before what a joke.Don't rely on Windows Restore but Completely rely on Yours.

We aren't covering anything up. Our entire communication is right here for the world to see. If you have a problem with the product, we are always here to help you. Please provide us with information so we can resolve all of these problems

Funny how when i posted the issue here to begin with your response was to cut off my forum access. This is out in the open to you? ;)

I am not sure what this is referring to. I have great customer concern. I'm taking time out of my busy programming schedule to address issues with you on this forum just like I did in our helpdesk system. Not to mention quickly fixing the problem you had with restore points getting resized after a restart which has been fixed for awhile now. So as soon as you're ready to provide actual problem information our entire dev team will be at your disposal to get the issue resolved

Your time is more valuable than mine? It took 2 days to correct my systems after removing your software.We run several businesses and have a full schedule that is why i choose to use software that gets the job done,unfortunately your new PCMATIC has issues.

Customer service by cuttin off my access to the forum thread i started to warn others so they would not have the same issues.

Where did you POST the problem for ALL XP users to see?

Revo Uninstaller is a professional tool designed to remove junk that uninstallers miss. They must have a bug since they have missed all the files we leave behind. Please let us know what you searched for we would be happy to have a look and resolve this issue for

Why would your team need to use another piece of software to remove your own?

Shouldn't Pcpitstop be able to remove ALL the files it installs or creates when it is removed?

Is not this one of your selling points that your software removes Reg and files that go nowhere?

I think you got perturbed that this "novice" found issues with your coding. :boxing:

You Rob Admin Programmer have no clue :thud:

Multiple of our products rely on the Exterminate3 files to do a malware scan. We have 3 products using this and these files are part of CA's installer for their malware engine. However you are right, we could add a check to our uninstaller to make sure that none of the products using this are there and if not to remove these files. The only downside there is that you will need to do a full malware definitions download the next time you install so if you're just updating with a new installer then your next scan will likely take some time. I will talk to the other developers and look into addressing this problem.

Grab only part of the qoute..

The whole qoute was that IntelGuy acted like this was not a problem.But yet posted of a similiar one in the forums. Let's keep it real fellas. :rolleyes:

Blame it on CA and take ALL the heat off of yourself that's original too.

Do you want to have a complete effective piece of software or not?

If so then you should be thinking of these things before they become problems for which customers who are not as knowledgable as you guys trust you to do.

Nothing worse than using someone's software and it screws everything up. :angry:

A friendly piece of advice which another poster here tried to give you.

NEVER attack a customer in public.This will be the "kiss of death for your software"

With the internet capabilities bad news travels faster than good.

Now i have to get back to my beer :b33r: and you need to get back to that busy schedule of programming. :tup:

Grab only part of the qoute..

The whole qoute was that IntelGuy acted like this was not a problem.But yet posted of a similiar one in the forums. Let's keep it real fellas. :rolleyes:

The conversation was about registry entries, not malware definitions.

I just had a long conversation with the developer who wrote the installer and who was responsible for the conscious decision to leave behind these files. Our installer works much like all installers out there: it removes what it installs but not necessarily everything that gets created as a result of the program. The exterminate3 / ca files are files that get downloaded by our product while it is in use. They are the malware definitions files and binaries responsible for doing the malware scan. They are not removed for the following reasons:

1) they were not installed by the installer

2) we have no idea what files will go down on the machine because a 3rd party company puts those files down and their code changes frequently with updates so maintaining a list would be cumbersome

3) we cannot simply remove the entire directory because we have no idea if a user might put a personal file in there and not want it removed

This issue has been discussed many times between the 2 companies, up to the ceo of ours and with our customers. We are making a conscious decision to leave these few files on the system. It would be one line of code to our installer to remove the entire directory on uninstall but that is not a clean solution and we do not want to be responsible for deleting your files. Also we have no idea where you're going to install the app, you could choose to install it to c:\ if you prefer and then we'll just delete your entire c drive in our uninstaller to make sure all files are gone? I think you'll agree that that is not a feasible solution and that is why PC Pitstop as well as other companies including Microsoft themselves choose to leave files behind on rare occasions.

If any files are left behind that are not part of the CA engine please let me know and it will be addressed.