Sign in to follow this  
divineimage

Xp Users Should Stop Using Pcmatic

From Your E-mail to me Rob: :nono:

"I have just done some more digging around and was able to reproduce this problem on one of my own test machines so the procmon and registry info wont be needed. (this customer was going to great links to help you resolve the issue) The problem is worse than I hoped (it is affecting more xp users than I thought) and I will probably remove the system restore tip altogether for xp until I get the problem resolved. Manually setting the system restore size to 1024 (which is what we recommend) or as close as you can get since it works by % not mb, using the windows system restore interface would be the best way to make sure your system is configured the way that pcmatic was trying to configure it."

I'm not sure how this relates to ca? I was letting you know that I reproduced and understood your problem and was taking immediate action so it didn't affect other users and told you how to achieve what the product was trying to do manually.

You think System Restore is a waste of time but you think PcMatic's restore will correct any issues caused.

As i told you before what a joke.Don't rely on Windows Restore but Completely rely on Yours.

I told you that was a personal opinion. If you understood the details of how system restore worked you might agree. System restore only restores certain files leaving others behind. It is trying to achieve a very complicated task of restoring a broken computer. There is room for error in there and it is not an ideal, perfect restore as a full disk image would be. I rely on PCMatic restore because it is totally different. When you do a pcmatic clean it keeps track of all registry changes it makes. When you do a restore it puts them back exactly as they were. It is a 100% restore of the changes to the registry and it works. Therefore yes I personally know that our restore will put the registry settings back while system restore does not work as I would like. It would revert lots of registry settings and leave you not knowing what state your pc is in. Again, this is personal preference, many users love system restore and in a pinch it's a great feature.

Funny how when i posted the issue here to begin with your response was to cut off my forum access.

I do not know how to cut off forum access and don't believe that anyone did that to you. Perhaps our forums were down at the time. I do not work in the forums.

It took 2 days to correct my systems after removing your software.

You did not mention to any of us at any point in time that our product caused changes to your system that you had to correct. I would love to hear about these issues so we could resolve them for you, you have not mentioned this.

unfortunately your new PCMATIC has issues.

As I already mentioned, all software has issues. We have a dedicated team ready and willing right now to fix these issues so please provide us details.

Where did you POST the problem for ALL XP users to see?

We do not have a changelist or known bugs list if that's what you're referring to. There is no need to alert all users that a system restore fix gets reverted back to the way it was after a reboot. I pulled the tip so the code didn't do the clean even though it was harmless as it was and then fixed the problem within 3 days.

Why would your team need to use another piece of software to remove your own?

Shouldn't Pcpitstop be able to remove ALL the files it installs or creates when it is removed?

We absolutely do not use other software to remove ours we were simply referring to an industry leading product to point out that we were not leaving registry keys behind. I provided a detailed explanation of the files left behind in my last post.

I think you got perturbed that this "novice" found issues with your coding. :boxing:

It appears that you are viewing this as a boxing match and a fight between customer and developer. I have no programming ego. I make mistakes every single time I write code. I made at least 500 mistakes writing the system restore code. Most of which the developer finds himself while developing the code. After that we do internal testing where at least 5 more issues were found. Then we roll it out to customers and have found about 4 problems since then. You got problems with our code? Bring them on. It is my job to fix them because I am only human and cannot find them all myself. I have fixed every legitimate problem that you have brought up and provided information so we could reproduce and I would be happy to fix the rest if you'd provide that info for us. This is how the business works.

I just had a long conversation with the developer who wrote the installer and who was responsible for the conscious decision to leave behind these files. Our installer works much like all installers out there: it removes what it installs but not necessarily everything that gets created as a result of the program. The exterminate3 / ca files are files that get downloaded by our product while it is in use. They are the malware definitions files and binaries responsible for doing the malware scan. They are not removed for the following reasons:

1) they were not installed by the installer

2) we have no idea what files will go down on the machine because a 3rd party company puts those files down and their code changes frequently with updates so maintaining a list would be cumbersome

3) we cannot simply remove the entire directory because we have no idea if a user might put a personal file in there and not want it removed

This issue has been discussed many times between the 2 companies, up to the ceo of ours and with our customers. We are making a conscious decision to leave these few files on the system. It would be one line of code to our installer to remove the entire directory on uninstall but that is not a clean solution and we do not want to be responsible for deleting your files. Also we have no idea where you're going to install the app, you could choose to install it to c:\ if you prefer and then we'll just delete your entire c drive in our uninstaller to make sure all files are gone? I think you'll agree that that is not a feasible solution and that is why PC Pitstop as well as other companies including Microsoft themselves choose to leave files behind on rare occasions.

If any files are left behind that are not part of the CA engine please let me know and it will be addressed.

Here we go again blame it on CA. :cr@sh:

Rob we both know that it would not be too big a deal to create a log file that keeps track of everything the software installs and where it installs.Then on uninstall easy to remove.

As you say top product "Revo" can do it without erasing the entire "c" drive :mrsgreen:

This log could also be set to only uninstall your stuff and leave anything else.

You still have not addressed your treatment of me ( a paying customer) and my concerns openly in this forum.

Why would you cut off my access to the forums when i tried to help others? :nono:

Where did you POST a warning to XP users so they would not have problems ? :h3lp:

From your e-mail here's the qoute:

I have just done some more digging around and was able to reproduce this problem on one of my own test machines so the procmon and registry info wont be needed. The problem is worse than I hoped (it is affecting more xp users than I thought) and I will probably remove the system restore tip altogether for xp until I get the problem resolved. Manually setting the system restore size to 1024 (which is what we recommend) or as close as you can get since it works by % not mb, using the windows system restore interface would be the best way to make sure your system is configured the way that pcmatic was trying to configure it.

Why would you not tell your customers? :snooze:

The conversation was about registry entries, not malware definitions.

IntelGuy,

I have no problem with you. I realize you are just trying to do your job.

This issue has to do with Rob and his way of twisting the truth.By the way one thing Rob leaves out is that i told him about other issues besides reg files.

I pointed this out to you just to show that you too are aware of issues with the software.

I do have a question though i noticed in that post that you gave a link for download and it appeared to be an affiliate link so you get paid to sell the software ? :hammer:

If this is so then talk about deception you promote something to get paid and how could anyone rely on your input? That's like so many tech reviewers on the web that review only the stuff they get affiliate commissions for. What is wrong with this picture.

Be honest is this how it works with you and Pcpitstop?

I do not know how to cut off forum access and don't believe that anyone did that to you. Perhaps our forums were down at the time. I do not work in the forums.

Either you or you had someone else do it and it lasted for a week.Forums were not down and were easily accessed from another location.

For your information we happen to be in the computer business.Have several pieces of software which we developed and a very good client base of about 200,000.

You did not mention to any of us at any point in time that our product caused changes to your system that you had to correct. I would love to hear about these issues so we could resolve them for you, you have not mentioned this.

From My e-mail to you on 5/14/2010:

"Who is this I'm communicating with ? Is this Rob?

I have more issues to report but I want to know who I'm talking to.

I have MORE issues apparently caused by PCMATIC on another system (XP3)."

We do not have a changelist or known bugs list if that's what you're referring to. There is no need to alert all users that a system restore fix gets reverted back to the way it was after a reboot. I pulled the tip so the code didn't do the clean even though it was harmless as it was and then fixed the problem within 3 days.

The software did not revert back system restore until it first wiped out any restore points

And also it caused the service to be suspended until someone figures out that's what has happened there is nothing to indicate a problem.

It appears that you are viewing this as a boxing match and a fight between customer and developer. I have no programming ego. I make mistakes every single time I write code. I made at least 500 mistakes writing the system restore code. Most of which the developer finds himself while developing the code. After that we do internal testing where at least 5 more issues were found. Then we roll it out to customers and have found about 4 problems since then. You got problems with our code? Bring them on. It is my job to fix them because I am only human and cannot find them all myself. I have fixed every legitimate problem that you have brought up and provided information so we could reproduce and I would be happy to fix the rest if you'd provide that info for us. This is how the business works.

Not a boxing match at all just injecting some humor into the issues :)

Isn't that why you have emoticons ?

If i posted your e-mail responses to me i believe it would show a different side of your ego. :banana:

... I do have a question though i noticed in that post that you gave a link for download and it appeared to be an affiliate link so you get paid to sell the software ? :hammer:

If this is so then talk about deception you promote something to get paid and how could anyone rely on your input? That's like so many tech reviewers on the web that review only the stuff they get affiliate commissions for. What is wrong with this picture.

Be honest is this how it works with you and Pcpitstop?

Nope, I do not get an affiliate commission nor do I sell PC Pitstop software. The link is from our home page. I grabbed it from there because that was easy for me to do. You can go to the home page and right-click on the red "Free Test Drive" button and select "Properties" and see the URL.

Nope, I do not get an affiliate commission nor do I sell PC Pitstop software. The link is from our home page. I grabbed it from there because that was easy for me to do. You can go to the home page and right-click on the red "Free Test Drive" button and select "Properties" and see the URL.

I'm glad to hear that you are not.

But it is an affiliate link so I guess Pcpitstop is actually selling someone else's software probably as a value added partner.The web we weave i had no clue :rolleyes:

To you IntelGuy personally :

3 John 1:2

I will see you in the future

PC Pitstop uses affilate codes on our own website to track which advertisements are working and which ones are not. aff=0002 lets us distinguish whether the product came directly from our website or from another location, such as Tucows or Download.com.

I'm glad to hear that you are not.

But it is an affiliate link so I guess Pcpitstop is actually selling someone else's software probably as a value added partner.The web we weave i had no clue :rolleyes:

Feel free to continue to weave whatever web you'd like. That is our product on our homepage with our own affiliate code that our own installer reads so that our own servers know where that product was downloaded from.

To you IntelGuy personally :

3 John 1:2

I will see you in the future

Please do not threaten our staff members.

This forum thread looks exactly how the ticket does now. PC Pitstop has done everything we can to help you out. Yes you did mention in the ticket that you had many problems with the software. All of which you refuse to elaborate on so that we can resolve them for you. You have my full attention and dedication to solve any problems you are having with the software but please understand that I cannot spend an entire work day reading these posts anymore. They are off topic and have nothing to do with getting problems resolved in the software which is exactly why we stopped replying to the help desk posts and gave you a full refund with our apologies.

If any legitimate software problems arise and you are ready to work with us to get to the bottom of them, you have our support. Until then, I am getting back to working on PC Matic.

PC Pitstop uses affilate codes on our own website to track which advertisements are working and which ones are not. aff=0002 lets us distinguish whether the product came directly from our website or from another location, such as Tucows or Download.com.

Thanks for the clarification on that.

However some of the stuff comes from CA and I'm sure others under some sort of value added program which is fine just like it to be up front.

You take care and remember:

Shrewd as snakes,harmless as doves :tup:

Feel free to continue to weave whatever web you'd like. That is our product on our homepage with our own affiliate code that our own installer reads so that our own servers know where that product was downloaded from.

Yes IntelGuy clarified that for me. we do the same with our software just different format

Please do not threaten our staff members.

You obviously misunderstood my PERSONAL response to IntelGuy it's about "life after death"

We appear to be brothers in the spiritual sense B)

This forum thread looks exactly how the ticket does now. PC Pitstop has done everything we can to help you out. Yes you did mention in the ticket that you had many problems with the software. All of which you refuse to elaborate on so that we can resolve them for you. You have my full attention and dedication to solve any problems you are having with the software but please understand that I cannot spend an entire work day reading these posts anymore. They are off topic and have nothing to do with getting problems resolved in the software which is exactly why we stopped replying to the help desk posts and gave you a full refund with our apologies.

Yes you did refund my money but no apology from you even now for your rude treatment of a paying customer. What this post has become because of you Rob is the platform to take you to task for your arrogant attitude towards customers and your useless attempts to insult them.Instead of owning your wrong.

If any legitimate software problems arise and you are ready to work with us to get to the bottom of them, you have our support. Until then, I am getting back to working on PC Matic

I will not need your assistance as i will not use your products anymore.You need to get back to PCMATIC and fix ALL the Issues it has :tup:

Hopefully others that read this will learn how to handle customers better by seeing how you have done it all wrong

You seem to have forgotten if you ever knew that one person can bring down an empire. ;)