Sign in to follow this  
Joe C

AMD Hexa core

that amd six core doesnt look to pleasing... far as i know my 955 does better then it, depending on the program... and in games, 955 wins...

handbreak on 6 threads will kill your 955, and people are easily getting this thing to 3.8 - 4.0 I heard.

Turbo puts three threads to 3.33ghz for games/lower threaded apps.

Still, I'd prefer my i7 920. And it's not worth upgrading from an AMD quad.

Edited by porksandwich9113

It is worth it. Two extra cores, with almost no extra power consumption, high overclocks, and six cores, for $200-$300.

I'd prefer The Phenom II X6 over my e6300, since Intel has nothing comparable at the moment, especially for Socket 775.

Not to mention, AM3 will be compatible with AMD's Bulldozer, which is supposed to be a world beater. Try that with Socket 1366 & Sandy Bridge. ;)

Edited by brandon

I would honestly choose the hexa core. Look at it, 6C/6T doing close the damage as the Intel 6c/12T CPU for 5 times as much. Ok it wont clock as high as a flippen intel but in real world, your 24/7 clock is all that matters. I have been more then pleased with AMD lately.

Put in an Athlon 2 X4 620 in my bros PC doing 3.7ghz 24/7 and it packs a punch for $100.

You have a $200 CPU, $100 set of DDR3 1600, $120 board and a $30 cooler and you have set yourself faster then most ( I should say All) intels at that price.

I7 920 $300. A motherboard that can OC $250. Triple channel that for some reason does as good as dual channel on an amd $200. $200 water cooling to be able to get a cool 24/7 clock.

AMD won.

There are guys in the AMD forums already with them. So far they are looking good. One person has it running at 4.1ghz stable with a Corsair H50. For the price its not to bad of a deal.

I would honestly choose the hexa core. Look at it, 6C/6T doing close the damage as the Intel 6c/12T CPU for 5 times as much. Ok it wont clock as high as a flippen intel but in real world, your 24/7 clock is all that matters. I have been more then pleased with AMD lately.

Put in an Athlon 2 X4 620 in my bros PC doing 3.7ghz 24/7 and it packs a punch for $100.

You have a $200 CPU, $100 set of DDR3 1600, $120 board and a $30 cooler and you have set yourself faster then most ( I should say All) intels at that price.

I7 920 $300. A motherboard that can OC $250. Triple channel that for some reason does as good as dual channel on an amd $200. $200 water cooling to be able to get a cool 24/7 clock.

AMD won.

Yet most of us all buy Intel. :)

Haha, you have to admit though, the i7's decimate if you need/want top performance like most of us do.

I enjoy nothing more than being able to encode a video on 4 threads, play an HD video on one thread on the left monitor, and play a game on the right monitor with the last 3 threads, and still have cpu utilization only hit 80%.

P.S. you can get i7 gear for a lot cheaper than that if you know where to look. I got my CPU, Ram, MB all for freaking 500 bucks and a cooler I will be able to use for a long time for 80$.

I personally have not yet seen any reviews or bench marks for this AMD hexa chip, but I will look into it. It could be a good and cheap alternative for future builds. Intel hasn't put their i7 hexa core on the market yet to compare it with

I personally have not yet seen any reviews or bench marks for this AMD hexa chip, but I will look into it. It could be a good and cheap alternative for future builds. Intel hasn't put their i7 hexa core on the market yet to compare it with

Incorrect, as a matter of fact, IG is runnin one.

http://www.pcrush.com/product/Intel-Proces...core?refid=1868

Turbo puts three threads to 3.33ghz for games/lower threaded apps.

To bad for now AMD has to do it with software.The chip it self cant control it.

Thats kinda lame IMO. :rolleyes:

nice cheap chip and if your doing a lot of multi threaded apps worth buying, but for most everyday things intel dual cores will beat it. nice cool cpu tho if you have heat issues.

Again, we can only repeat that these new Thuban chips will absolutely appeal to those who take their multi-threading performance serious, those who don't have an unlimited budget, or those who do not want to upgrade their whole system. If either of those three categories applies to you, then you can't go wrong with Phenom II X6. Now having said that, if you are building a general purpose system from scratch then a Core i5-750 / Core i7-860 / Xeon X3440 processor combined with a dirt-cheap H55-based motherboard might be your best choice since it will have lower power consumption and more even performance across the board.

just happened to be the first review i clicked on but all others i've read say same thing.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardw...-review-17.html

still worth the money in my opinion, and will make a very nice system. ;)

:b33r:

Many of my games use all 4 of my cores. I would imagine that games will begin to take advantage of more than 4 within a year.

Edited by AdamMAXIS

I wouldn't be so quick to say that. According to a lot of things I have read, parallelising code is very hard, and the more cores you have, the more you have to do to get it to take advantage of multiple cores.

While I can see it happening for big name software, which have the manpower/skill to do such, I can't see it for much of anything else.

Not to mention, soon, 6 cores will be quaint. AMD's Bulldozer is slated to come out soon, and it will have up to 16 "cores", it also has 12 core Opterons currently available, and Intel is coming out with 12 core processors as well.