Sign in to follow this  
Assi

i5-650 at 3470MHz

Sorry about these stupid questions but this is my new system and i'm not an overclocker ... far from it actually... but can someone tell me why is this processor running at 3470MHz even though it says 3,20GHz in the box, and everywhere.

My motherboard is ASUS P7P55D-E PRO but i didnt install those "auto overclicking" things yet so that cant be the case. This screenshot is with PC Wizard, so can that tell wrong numbers?

Posted Image

Another noob question:

This is a dual core processor right? Well, what does it mean when there is 4 of these CPU Usage history blocks in the Windows Task Manager?

Here's a screen shot where i have a video converting on (which used ALL the CPU power on my old system, lol)

Posted Image

I work a lot with video converting so I LOVE MY NEW MACHINE cause it handeled a project that use to take about 40 minutes in 7 minutes :mrgreen:

Edited by Assi

Mornin Assi,

That chip is a dual core but has HT(Hyper Threading) so the OS "sees" it as a quad core. It has 2 physical processing cores and two virtual cores.

The clock speed is base 3.2Ghz and is capable of self overclocking to 3.46-7 to do processor intensive projects a lil quicker.

Here's the Intel spec sheet for it.

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=43546

Mornin Assi,

That chip is a dual core but has HT(Hyper Threading) so the OS "sees" it as a quad core. It has 2 physical processing cores and two virtual cores.

The clock speed is base 3.2Ghz and is capable of self overclocking to 3.46-7 to do processor intensive projects a lil quicker.

Here's the Intel spec sheet for it.

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=43546

Big thanks Tx Redneck, that helped alot. :adios:

I checked the product page when i was buying the processor but now when you explained it, it made more sense. :mrgreen: ... oh and i never heard about virtual cores before. ... i'm so newbie. :rolleyes:

Thanks again.

Gotta love Turbo mode. If less than the max amount of cores is being utilised, it will boost the clockspeeds of a set number of cores, to within the thermal limit of the processor.

Gotta love Turbo mode. If less than the max amount of cores is being utilised, it will boost the clockspeeds of a set number of cores, to within the thermal limit of the processor.

I havent have time to do anything like that yet cause i have a huge job installing all kinds of work stuff back on but thanks for telling me. :adios:

I havent have time to do anything like that yet cause i have a huge job installing all kinds of work stuff back on but thanks for telling me. :adios:

there is nothing to set, he was just explaining how turbo mode works and "on"is the default setting. :tup:

:b33r: