Sign in to follow this  
adam22

How to Clean Your Keyboard

I stumbled upon this article on Yahoo! today and it is pretty handy. I attempted to clean a keyboard one time and it didn't go so well (I broke the space bar)...check this out so you don't end up like me.

http://shine.yahoo.com/event/haven/how-to-...yboard-1117544/

How to clean your keyboard

by Emily Hsieh, Shine staff, on Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:55am PST

It’s important to remember to show your keyboard some love every now and then both for the sake of good hygiene and to ensure it functions properly. Those keys take quite a beating everyday, and all the little crevices are excellent at trapping things like dust and hair, and if you ever eat near your computer, it’s easy to wind up with sticky surfaces and crumbs buried between the cracks. Ew, right? Here, step-by-step instructions to get your keyboard in tip top shape.

Shut down your PC, and unplug the mouse, discs or CDs, USB drives or anything else that’s protruding from your machine. Carefully, turn the keyboard (or your entire laptop, as the case may be) upside down and give it a gentle shake to release any dusty build-up that might be lurking between the keys.

Use a can of compressed air (available at just about any electronics store) to blow off residual debris around and under all the nooks and crannies. Alternatively, the hose of a vacuum cleaner works too.

Put a couple drops of isopropyl alcohol on a Q-tip and run it around the edges of your keys to get them squeaky clean. The cotton swab should be only slightly damp—not wet—dripping liquid into your keyboard is (obviously) a bad thing!

Lastly, give the whole thing a once over with a dry, lint-free cloth, and let it air dry for a few minutes before using it (never turn on your machine until you’re positive the keys are completely dry). And between in-depth cleanings, one of my favorite tricks is to use the sticky part of a Post-It note to run between rows of keys to pick up dust.

Use a can of compressed air (available at just about any electronics store) to blow off residual debris

You can buy this by the electronical store, that is true, but also by a photoshop.

At least, in my country is that possible.

America is a big country, so I do know for 100% that in the Usa, photoshops also buy cans compressed air.

unplug the mouse, discs or CDs, USB drives or anything else that’s protruding

Good advice for laptops, but otherwise unnecessary.

Put a couple drops of isopropyl alcohol on a Q-tip and run it around the edges of your keys

We continually press the tops of the keys, grinding in shed skin cells, skin oil, and other debris, so cleaning just the vertical surfaces doesn't do it.  The keytops can be cleaned with a cloth dampened (not dripping) with soapy water; take a second pass with a cloth dampened with clean water.

I find cotton swaps too fragile for between-key cleaning.  A great tool for this is a VCR head cleaning wand, which is a flat plastic stick tipped with thin chamois leather.  They're available at any electronics repair shop.  Moisten with most any alcohol except "rubbing" alcohol.

Really grimy keys need to be removed (take a photo of the keyboard first!), soaked, and scrubbed. 

I find cotton swaps too fragile for between-key cleaning.

Agreed. When I made clean the keyboard, then I open the keyboard and with a brush, clean I the keys.

But you must do that be carefully, because on the keys, there are membranes and you take the risk that you loose a membrane or more.

I think and I will do now, clean my keyboard with the Dust off cleaner airbus.

That is more safety and easier, find I personnally.

Edited by Strong Rock

I've never needed to do this, but I think it's worth a try for those extreme cases.

http://www.wikihow.com/Clean-a-Keyboard-in-a-Dishwasher

I suppose that the keyboard from your link is a waterproof keyboard, it must, because when it is a normal keyboard what the most users have and you doing the normal keyboard in the Dishwasser than you can dropped the keyboard in the trash.

Clean your keyboard with air dust cleaning is the best and safety way.

The keyboard put in a Dishwasser and turn it on, is the same when your little son dropped your Transistor Radio under water, because he playing Submarine with that.

When someone has a short memory, than is it smart that someone take a picture from his keyboard.

Personnally think I that the best way for clean the keyboard is, clean it with an special airbus under high compression.

Edited by Strong Rock

You can clean your keyboard and make it like new with a cleaner called CYBER CLEAN which gets dust,dirt etc,from under keys as well as cleaning the top of keys.I have used it over an over and it always does great.Can be purchased at Radio Shack for 2 0r 3 $,s

Adam, be aware that this material is copyright by Yahoo, which does not permit wholesale copying of this nature.  To quote parts of an article to outline the subject matter, and to provide a link to the original article, is nearly always acceptable; to copy & paste an entire article is nearly always unacceptable.

Adam, be aware that this material is copyright by Yahoo, which does not permit wholesale copying of this nature. To quote parts of an article to outline the subject matter, and to provide a link to the original article, is nearly always acceptable; to copy & paste an entire article is nearly always unacceptable.

You would be 110% wrong. In fact I think perhaps you should have a better look at fair use laws, and the intended purpose of the OP. It indeed falls within the legal rights of fair use.

You would be 110% wrong ... It indeed falls within the legal rights of fair use.

Well, Bruce, I can't be 110% wrong, or even 100% wrong, since Yahoo really does forbid redistribution.  When you use Yahoo, you make a de facto agreement to the terms of service.

Any unauthorized reproduction, publication, further distribution or public exhibition of the materials provided on the Yahoo! Services, in whole or in part, is strictly prohibited.

You mention that I "should have a better look at fair use laws".  In the US at least, "fair use" is not law, but a set of rules ("legal doctrine").

Regardless, this instance is fairly easy to classify.  Rather than quoting a portion of the article, Adam copied the entire text, which the exceeds "substantiality" rule, disqualifying it as fair use.

It is an educational use for purposes such as criticism, comment, and thus such copying is permitted in part or in whole. According to copyright laws of the United States.

I have also read yahoos terms and they do not in anyway shape or form trump "law" concerning such things, nor do they own the copyrights to individual blog contributions of people not in their employ.

If you would like to carry on this discussion I would be thrilled to so in general discussions so as not to highjack this thread.

Edited by Bruce

such copying is permitted in part or in whole

Saying it is doesn't make it so.  I was conscientious enough to quote my source regarding Yahoo's position.  Now I'll quote some pertinent statements from the U.S. Copyright Office, and if you have an accredited source that overrides them, quote that, and give a link.  Otherwise, you're voicing only your opinion.

REF: www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html, revised May 2009

... examples of activities that courts have regarded as fair use: “quotation of excerpts in a review or criticism ... quotation of short passages in a scholarly or technical work ... summary of an address or article, with brief quotations, in a news report ... reproduction by a teacher or student of a small part of a work”

Quotation of "excerpts" and "short passages", "summary ... with brief quotations", "reproduction ... of a small part of a work" clearly indicate the pattern of intent.

nor do they own the copyrights to individual blog contributions of people not in their employ

The byline reads "by Emily Hsieh, Shine staff".  Ms. Hsieh works for Shine; Yohoo owns Shine; Yahoo holds the rights to the article.  QED. Edited by TomGL2

I would be more then happy to have this discussion in GD, so as not to highjack a good thread, with helpful information.