Sign in to follow this  
Guest Kojak

Soon to be released

how will it do in gaming? like will it be better than my amd 965? which i also have it clocked too 4ghzs and sometimes 4.1.

or will it pretty much be good just for multitasking and gaming but i like too see a improvement over my 965 if im gonna spend 300$ lol

thing i don't get why do they still ony have 6mb cache...

all i could think of sense it still ony have 6mb cache is hard core muti tasking even tho i do that with my 965 lol

but in gaming don't think it would better sense ony has 6mb cache and no games uses 6cores... but if it was like 8 or 12 cache than it would've been really nice for gaming sense you still have 2 more cores un touched

Guest Kojak

all i could think of sense it still ony have 6mb cache is hard core muti tasking even tho i do that with my 965 lol

but in gaming don't think it would better sense ony has 6mb cache and no games uses 6cores... but if it was like 8 or 12 cache than it would've been really nice for gaming sense you still have 2 more cores un touched

To the best of my knowledge, most games don't even benefit

fully from dual core CPU's let alone quad or six core CPU's.

I know I'd get more of a performance boost switching to Windows 7.

tho quad does help a bit even the ones that don't use all 4 cores sense when i use too use my opteron 165 duel core oc at 3ghzs with my 4890 as my main gaming rig i got good fps but when i went too my sig system when i also had my older quad 940 in it and when i had my 4890 in it there was a big boost even in the ones that didn't use all 4 cores.

but than again for some reason the ati 4800 series 4850 4870 and 4890 was bottlenecked by the opteron 165@3ghzs... sense i had a 4850 first than went too the 4870 didn't see much difference in fps went too the 4890 helped a liitle sense it did have 1gb of video ram but wasn't doing as it supposed too.

but i think the cache has alot too do with gaming sense my asus g50vt x5 laptop with a core 2 duo @ stock 2.1ghzs with a 9800gs overclocked too gts speeds beated the opteron in most games even with the 4890 in it lol

cause the opteron has 2mb cache and the p7450 core 2 duo has 3mb now i have it overclocked in my laptop too 2.6 and sometimes 2.8:) the operon 165 is stil a good cpu never had problems with it and still going strong even too this day.

even going from my quad 940 overclocked at 3.8ghzs too the 965@3.4ghzs it gave a nice increase which i didn't think it would and when the 965 was at stock it was faster than my overclocked 3.8ghzs..

but ya having more cores and also cache does give stuff more headroom even if the game doesn't used all the cores sense it gives stuff like windows and programs in the background too breath more and alot of newer games pretty much benefits from quad sense it uses all the cores when i play them and tons of them uses duel cores pretty much why my cousin had too upgrade from his single core with the 9600gt lol

he went too the amd 945 quad and kept his 9600gt and boosted his fps in all games he plays by 20fps and in some case 30+.

but six cores right now would be little overkill too me but at 300$ that's pretty cheep but i would like too see one with more cache.

but ya you right about its not fully using the cpus sense they don't even get maxed out sense the max i see my quad % go up ony by 45 too 65 but battlefield company 2 really puts a good load on all 4 cores than any game i seen even more than gta iv or about the same and another one that does is just cause 2.

Edited by gordesky1

4 cores at 150 or less widely available, or 6 cores at 300 with not much boost to many average users.....

wonder how long before we're adding more cores and price?

is there even any practical reason to have a 6x?

It's like having a Corvette. No practical reason to have it, it's just cool :)

is there even any practical reason to have a 6x?

Absolutely!

I have been thinking about an 8 or 12 core CPU

Using applications that take advantage of multiple core CPU's.

99% of the apps I edit/encode videos with are capable of using all the cores as are the server apps and also the compilers I use.

In other words more cores means everything gets done faster.

Then of course even if your apps can't use all the cores your operating system will use them for individual applications if you run a lot of stuff all at once.

More and more applications are being designed to take advantage of multiple cores.

Using applications that take advantage of multiple core CPU's.

99% of the apps I edit/encode videos with are capable of using all the cores as are the server apps and also the compilers I use.

In other words more cores means everything gets done faster.

Then of course even if your apps can't use all the cores your operating system will use them for individual applications if you run a lot of stuff all at once.

More and more applications are being designed to take advantage of multiple cores.

Exactly. I have a quad core AMD rig at the moment and use it for extensive video editing, it's quick; but I'd love to see what six, or 12 cores could achieve.

Less time rendering = more money for me.