Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anderson

Tracking cookie or something

I run PC Matic on my computer almost everyday. For some reason my scheduler won't work, so I run it manually. Anyway, I have something going on with my computer, but Matic isn't catching it. When I do a Google search and it pulls up all the different web sites for the particular search, I click on one and sometimes it takes me to the page, other times it redirectes me to a totally different page not even close to what the original web site was or even what I Googled. Other times it says the page has been reported as a bad web page to Microsoft. Out of, say, 15 web sites Google pulls up for my search over half will redirect me to some home repair page or I get the Microsoft warning. I went back and check on searches from a few days ago, clicked on pages I know worked (at that time) and they are doing the redirecting or giving the Microsoft warning now. I went into Options on Matic and did a restore settings from last Saturday, tried the Google search again and it was still doing it. Anyone have any suggestions?

The first thing to try is to do the full malware scan. Open PC Matic and click on Options>Scan Options and under the type of malware scan select 'Full'.

The first thing to try is to do the full malware scan. Open PC Matic and click on Options>Scan Options and under the type of malware scan select 'Full'.

I ran the scan as you said, but it keeps stalling at Scanning High level threats

710424 C:\Users\Jacque\AppData\Local\Application Data\Application

It stops at that location and doesn't do anything else.

Sorry for the double post. I am still trying to run the full scan. Each time it runs, it gets a little farther before it freezes. The first time it was 710424 then it went to 710844, 710849, 710855 and 710861 on the latest scan. All with the following C:\User\Jacque\AppData\Local\Application Data\Application listed after the above numbers. The only thing I can think that might be causing this is my youngest step son downloaded Frostwire yesterday (which is when this started) when I realized what Frostwire was, I uninstalled it. I had told him NO Limewire...guess I wasn't specific enough, I should have said, "NO Limewire or any other programs like it." Anyway, do I keep running the scan or is there something else I can do? I have no idea how many files the scan needs to go through and for just the 5 scans I have done, it has taken over 3 hours. I had to wipe this computer about 6 months ago because of some kind of malware, spyware or something...I really do not want to have to do that again. :( Thanks for any help!

Thank you for the additional information. You may want to try the following:

1) Try letting Exterminate run overnight and see if it a. completes and b. is much faster the next time it runs

2) Open Windows Explorer and take a look at C:\Users\Jacque\AppData\Local\Application Data\Application and see what's there. You can right-click on folders to access the properties and see the size and when they were created. Anything that you don't recognize you can Google to see if it is safe to just manually delete it.

3) Go to Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools and run Windows Disk Cleanup. You can click on the More Options tab to delete all restore points but the last one, once you are confident you won't need more than the last one

4) Try running Exterminate from Safe Mode with Networking. To boot into Safe Mode, tap the F5 or F8 key while the computer is booting up, then select Safe Mode with Networking, and if you are using XP, login to the administrator account.

5) Try reinstalling Exterminate with a new download from our customer service page (or install and activate the Free scan from the home page.) To uninstall the existing version, go to Start>Programs>PC Pistop>Exterminate (or Exterminate2) and click on uninstall Exterminate(2). Then go to C:\Program Files\PC Pitstop and delete the entire Exterminate folder. Reboot, then reinstall.

I apologize for my inattention.

1) Try letting PC Matic run overnight and see if it a. completes and b. is much faster the next time it runs

2) Open Windows Explorer and take a look at C:\Users\Jacque\AppData\Local\Application Data\Application and see what's there. You can right-click on folders to access the properties and see the size and when they were created. Anything that you don't recognize you can Google to see if it is safe to just manually delete it.

3) Go to Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools and run Windows Disk Cleanup. You can click on the More Options tab to delete all restore points but the last one, once you are confident you won't need more than the last one

4) Try running PC Matic from Safe Mode with Networking. To boot into Safe Mode, tap the F5 or F8 key while the computer is booting up, then select Safe Mode with Networking, and if you are using XP, login to the administrator account.

5) Try reinstalling PC Matic with a new download from our customer service page (or install and activate the Free scan from the home page.) To uninstall the existing version, go to Start>Programs>PC Pistop>PC Matic and click on uninstall PC Matic. Then go to C:\Program Files\PC Pitstop and delete both the PC Matic and the Exterminate3 folder. Reboot, then reinstall.

OK, my "redirecting" problem seems to have stopped. I did a restore and that seemed to have worked. However, I still can't get PC Matic to run through the full security scan. I did a free scan of Exterminate from the web site, it ran all the way through and found 2 mid to high level threats and a HUGE amount of tracking cookies, but then said I had to pay to get them taken off. :( So, how come Exterminate will scan, but PC Matic won't? Do I need to buy Exterminate also?

Exterminate 2.0 is built on the Sunbelt VIPRE scan engine and uses the Sunbelt detection definitions.

Due to integration issues, PC Matic is built on a version of the CA antimalware product and uses the scan engine and definitons from that product.

Different providers have different opinions as to what constitutes a threat. The CA product includes many more tracking cookies, which pose no security threat, than does the VIPRE-based Exterminate 2.0. Tracking cookies come back as soon as the website that planted the cookie is visited again, so there is some disagreement as to the importance of removing every tracking cookie.

If you are running the CA or Norton Internet Security Suite please try uninstalling that product and see if PC Matic will then complete the scan. If that resolves the problem, then reinstall the CA or Norton ISS and be sure to select 'Always Allow' for any requests from the security product to provide access to both PC Pitstop and PC Matic.

If that does not resolve the issue, can you please send us an OverDrive link so that we can see what is taking place on your computer? You can register an account and run the full tests from here:

http://www.pcpitstop.com/pcpitstop/default.asp

then copy and paste the URL from the results page into your reply to this email.

If needed, there is a pictorial guide here: http://forums.pcpitstop.com/html/helpfiles/techexphelp.htm