Sign in to follow this  
rosangela_1957

8 tips to manage your files better

http://www.microsoft.com/atwork/productivity/files.aspx

8 tips to manage your files better

Use these tips to help manage your files.

1.Use Documents. For many reasons, it's smart to take advantage of the Documents feature (called Documents in Windows 7 and Windows Vista, and My Documents in Windows XP. To open Documents in Windows, click Start, and then click Documents. And discover an easy way for you to store your personal documents.

By using Documents, you will be better able to:

◦Find files. Windows provides easy access to the Documents folder (and its subfolders) in many places: through the Start menu, the task pane in Windows Explorer, common File Open and File Save dialog boxes, and other places.

◦Back up files. You should back up files regularly—and keeping all your files in one place helps make backup a snap.

◦Keep files separate from programs. By separating document files and program files you reduce the risk of accidentally deleting your documents when you install or upgrade programs.

2.Adopt consistent methods for file and folder naming. Develop a naming scheme for the kinds of files you create most often and then stick to it.

3.Keep names short. Even though Windows enables you to use long file names, it does not necessarily mean you should. Long file names are harder to read.

Let your folder structure do some of the naming. For example, rather than creating a file called Great American Novel Chapter One First Effort, you can build a structure like:

4.Separate ongoing and completed work. To keep the Documents folder from becoming too unwieldy, use it only for files you're actively working on. As a result, you can reduce the number of files you need to search through and the amount of data you need to back up. Every month or so, move the files you're no longer working on to a different folder or location, such as a folder on your desktop, a special Archive folder, flash drive, external hard drive, or even on a CD.

5.Store like with like. Restricting folders to a single document type (or predominantly one type) allows you to take advantage of folder templates in Windows Explorer. This makes it easier for you to find files. For example, with all your graphics in a single folder, it's easy to use the Filmstrip view and slide show feature in Windows Explorer to find the right picture for your newsletter.

6.Avoid large folder structures. If you need to put so many subfolders in a folder that you can't see all of them at a glance, consider creating an alphabetic menu.

7.Use shortcuts and shortcut links instead of multiple copies. If you need to get to the same file from multiple locations, don't create copies of the file. Create shortcuts to it instead. To create a shortcut, right-click on the file and click Create Shortcut. You can drop and drag the shortcut to other locations.

8.Quickly get to the items you use every day. Jump Lists, a fun new feature in Wndows 7, are lists of recently opened items, such as files, folders, or web sites that are organized by the program that you use to open them. You can use a Jump List to open items. And you can also pin favorites to a Jump List.

My word files using ms office 2003 open at a crawl and close, save at a crawl. This is about a month old as an issue. It even seems like I have two versions openning at times because it starts to open, stops and starts, then opens sometimes.

How can I fix that issue?

Please reply to ndlicht@verizon.net

Hi ndlicht,

Please, post your questios on User to User Help - http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?showforum=3

Thanks

My word files using ms office 2003 open at a crawl and close, save at a crawl. This is about a month old as an issue. It even seems like I have two versions openning at times because it starts to open, stops and starts, then opens sometimes.

How can I fix that issue?

Please reply to ndlicht@verizon.net