Sign in to follow this  
vader7666

Self-Hosting Questions

Hello,

I plan to host a small development website from a desktop computer, and have a few questions about doing so. First off, which HTTP server should I use (e.g. Apache, lighttpd, etc.)? Second, which OS should I run for this server? I have heard Ubuntu Server Edition and Debian are good, but I could do with some opinions. Third, what are good mail and FTP servers?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Debian + lighty + vsftpd + (postfix for smtp, courier for imap(s), saslauthd) is the combination I've used happily for a few years.

Phil

Debian + lighty + vsftpd + (postfix for smtp, courier for imap(s), saslauthd) is the combination I've used happily for a few years.

Phil

Thanks.

I run Windows 7 on my desktop computer, but I run a virtual machine with Ubuntu Server on top of it as my web server. The install is cake...plus, with OpenSSH enabled, I can just SFTP with zero extra configuration...no hassle with installing an FTP server.

It hasn't let me down. If you have a dedicated desktop for it, I'd just skip the VM and go straight up Ubuntu Server. (There's no GUI, by the way, unless you install it yourself)

I run Windows 7 on my desktop computer, but I run a virtual machine with Ubuntu Server on top of it as my web server. The install is cake...plus, with OpenSSH enabled, I can just SFTP with zero extra configuration...no hassle with installing an FTP server.

It hasn't let me down. If you have a dedicated desktop for it, I'd just skip the VM and go straight up Ubuntu Server. (There's no GUI, by the way, unless you install it yourself)

What virtual machine software (hypervisor) do you use?