Sign in to follow this  
bfvmg

DynDNS

Hey All,

Here is the setup.

Using qwest DSL with supplied modem/router/wireless (motorola).

I have a PC set up as a FTP server, registered with DynDNS to update the IP address.

My problem is that the Motorola modem/router will not automatically update DynDNS when its own IP address changes (via DHCP from qwest). I know the Linksys WRT54G I have does update DynDNS, but the motorola is giving the linksys the same IP address all the time, and never changes therefore the auto-update feature doesnt work...

The IP address that the motorola modem/router is gettign from qwest changes everyday, so everyday my FTP server loses its connectivity, and then I cannto access it remotely, so I have to physically access the machine, go to DynDNS, and update the IP on their system. AS you can tell, its a real PITA when I am traveling and such.

Does anyone know of an ADSL PPPoE modem/Router (and wireless if possible) that I can purchase that, as part of the setup routine, has the ability to automatically notify DynDNS of its own IP address changes that it receives via DHCP?

I know there will probably be some questions about this, so fire away!

Thanks Guys

BF

wdeywonder,

I thought of that, but because the modem/router is providing the client PC with the same DHCP address day after day, it will never change. The dyndns client will never sense a different ip address, therfore will never update dyndns.

Is that right, or will it update regardless? I never used it before, so I do not know for sure.

you set the program to check your external ip (like going to ipchicken.com or something) every so often, once a day or week or whatever. when it finds a change it'll update dyndns site.

it doesn't go off the internal network IP. so long as your ftp server is static internally, and your router is set to port forward correctly, the software will update the dyndns site

oh, and if you use the software, you HAVE to disable the dndns updater in the router as it'll lock you out of the site for too much update traffic, lol. the software does it better anyways.

Edited by wdeydwondrer

Just an FYI, my Netgear router (And I think most of them) allows me to put in my DynDNS account info - it will then update automatically for me. Then I just set up port forwarding on my router for whatever service I'm looking at.

Just an FYI, my Netgear router (And I think most of them) allows me to put in my DynDNS account info - it will then update automatically for me. Then I just set up port forwarding on my router for whatever service I'm looking at.

bacterozoid

Yes, My linksys router can do that also. However, I am using a Motorola modem/router provided by Qwest. That will not allow you to place your dyndns info on it and update automatically. I spent a few hours going thru every menu on the thing, plus readiung the admind guide. No - Go. it will nto do it!

Like I said, the update client from DynDNS works fine.

Thanks though....

with dyndns, the software updater is always simpler and more relient. i don't doubt that some routers are able to handle it very well, but hoenstly, most routers get muddied up with this seemingly simple feature.

and if you're using a "castrated" router, or one with limited flash memory and a second party linux boot, dyndns may be available, but the coding for it has been reduced, allowing it to get hung up on more instances.

been using dyndns for years (not recently the last 2) and i've always had problems from routers trying to update.

and no prob bfvmg. glad you got it working.