Sign in to follow this  
Assi

Damaged processor

I bought a second hand PC and it got damaged in mail ... it's a long story, so i wont go there now, but the processor has a scratch on the surface and i'm askin now is it still useable?

Looks like this:

Posted Image

Thanks in advance.

OUCH!

If was I was to guess, I would say it's fine as long as it didn't hit any internal components, which it doesn't appear to have done so.

However, I think it will screw up with heat transfer to the heat-sink massively if it does work.

To be quite frank, the only way to know, is to test it.

OUCH!

If was I was to guess, I would say it's fine as long as it didn't hit any internal components, which it doesn't appear to have done so.

I dont think so either. The scratch is very very tiny. It may look big in that macro shoot, but if you compare it to something like a thumb screw, it doesnt look that big:

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/6214/img1461s.jpg

However, I think it will screw up with heat transfer to the heat-sink massively if it does work.

To be quite frank, the only way to know, is to test it.

Ok, i think i have to do that.

I dont swear but i kind of have a feeling that this scratch is already done in the previous installation. :hammer: The seller said his friend put the PC together and it was hard to install the cooler, Zalmann CNPS9500A.

The Zalmann was kind of screwed too, but the bottom looked just nice after i cleaned it:

http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/3549/img1423s.jpg :lol:

Oh and when you said OUCH! ... look at this how i received the PC:

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/7765/img1137s.jpg :cr@sh:

Edited by Assi

I'd send that back to the seller for an exchange pal.

Oh no, dont worry about that. The post office already promised to pay me back almost the whole price i paid from the PC. I have a legal document about it, but i havent received the money yet. I just wanted to know if i can still use the processor and save money. I will buy a brand new motherboard anyway, cause im not gonna use a MB that has been treated like that.

Edited by Assi

Oh no, dont worry about that. The post office already promised to pay me back almost the whole price i paid from the PC. I have a legal document about it, but i havent received the money yet. I just wanted to know if i can still use the processor and save money. I will buy a brand new motherboard anyway, cause im not gonna use a MB that has been treated like that.

I would not be happy about this either and would be looking to recoup my money on the damage, but how is this the post office's fault?

Posted Image

Oh I agree, with proper packing techniques anything can be protected from a person dropped the box, to throwing it on purpose!

Definitely should pursue a refund with this!

-Oh, I bet the RAM is still good too. :)

Edited by porksandwich9113

I would not be happy about this either and would be looking to recoup my money on the damage, but how is this the post office's fault?

Not office, but more like the delivery. The seller said he made proper packing and he also put those "handel with care" glass stickers on it, which he had to pay extra ... but still the thing happened, so it was post delivery's fault.

Oh I agree, with proper packing techniques anything can be protected from a person dropped the box, to throwing it on purpose!

Definitely should pursue a refund with this!

-Oh, I bet the RAM is still good too. :)

Yeah ... but i'm more worried about the graphics card cause the cooler looked like it dropped on that. I dont have a test machine so i cant try them. I only have DDR1 and AGP slots on this machine and on one other machine and then one laptop :D

Not office, but more like the delivery. The seller said he made proper packing and he also put those "handel with care" glass stickers on it, which he had to pay extra ... but still the thing happened, so it was post delivery's fault.

First off all, the cooler looks to me as it was not installed properly. Those Zalman coolers are very hard to get off when using the clip fastening method as this person did. Matter of fact I think the plastic retention bracket would more then likely break before it would fall off. On top off that why did they not use the screw down method knowing this was going to be shipped?

This is really a moot point because of the above info, but just adding it in. He paid extra to put stickers on the package or to have it handle carefully? Never seen that option for shipping. If you put an egg in a box without proper padding and just place some stickers on it saying "handle with care" glass would you expect it to get there unbroken?

Looks to me them blame is on the seller, not the shipping company.

blame is definitely the sellers(not fitted right like kram said) but doesn't matter either way because your getting your money back. ;)

first thing i'd do is fit the heatsink correctly and fire her up keeping your fingers crossed everything works.

if it does great you have a free pc, if not then start a selective process to see what can be salvaged, :tup:

:b33r:

blame is definitely the sellers(not fitted right like kram said) but doesn't matter either way because your getting your money back. ;)

first thing i'd do is fit the heatsink correctly and fire her up keeping your fingers crossed everything works.

if it does great you have a free pc, if not then start a selective process to see what can be salvaged, :tup:

Doesn't matter who pays for the neglect as long as he gets his money back?

Don't count that as a free pc. More then likely you will have to send the pc back to the post office before you get the money.

lmao, i've broke one of them plastic brakets during a regrease.

done for a week 'cause i had to order a new one online. no pc shop would sell it to me,,,, half of the ones i called told me they didn't even have it, and some told me i was making the part up, that it didn't exist! LOL

Doesn't matter who pays for the neglect as long as he gets his money back?

Don't count that as a free pc. More then likely you will have to send the pc back to the post office before you get the money.

nope doesn't matter who pays up as long as he gets his money back.

and nope bet he doesn't have to return anything.

similar thing with my amd system, insurance paid up and i kept the system. been a good pc for the price too. :rofl2:

similar thing with my amd system, insurance paid up and i kept the system. been a good pc for the price too. :rofl2:

Unbelievable you would make such a statement as it doesn't matter who pays for it as long as he gets his money back. :nono:

How about he just sucks up the loss to himself? Well that's not right either he had nothing to do with the damage.

I don't know what country he lives in, but if it's the US post office, it isn't going to work that way. This is a costly claim, they will want the pc.

i don't know what "post office" the op is referring to, but if its usps and its insured over $200....you bring in the damaged item including the damaged container it was shipped in, so that the p.o. can determine if it was truly damaged during shipping, or if it appears that it was damaged prior to shipping, or if it was simply not packaged properly to begin with (which seems to be the case here). if the post office finds it is at fault and the customer provides proof of value + proof of insurance, then the p.o. will pay the replacement value.

one condition....p.o. keeps the damaged item once the claim is paid.

Unbelievable you would make such a statement as it doesn't matter who pays for it as long as he gets his money back. nono.gif

what's unbelievable about it kram??

as long as he's not out of pocket who cares who pays.. :rofl2:

Edited by terry1966

If I insure a package of working and good condition componants, and the items are damaged during shipping, I would expect the shipping company to honor the insurance claim.

I shipped a lot of PC's over the years, and a lot of parts over the years, 90% of the time I pay for insurance.

Only once was there a situation where it might have been used. It had been slammed around hard enough for a hard drive to come out of the no tool needed hard drive bracket. Yes I pack things in enough padding to survive pretty rough handling, however you can take a computer and shake it violently, toss it around play catch with it and it would not appear to be damaged from being slammed around as there would be no dents or scratches. That doesn't mean it wasn't handled improperly.

Fragile means FRAGILE. It doesn't mean I hope they have enough bubble wrap to survive rough handling. Something marked fragile should be handled like it is..........fragile :lol:

Edited by Bruce

Fragile does mean fragile and yes it does mean you have to package it properly. Buying insurance isn't a scape goat for your negligence. Expect all you want, but in reality if you put an egg in a box with no padding and it gets broke, tough luck, your not going to get paid for your stupidity.

:lol:

I don't think padding is even the case. IMO the cooler was not attached properly.

He wasn't shipping an egg. :geezer:

So? I don't care how much padding he used, it wasn't built properly. Probably on purpose too, insurance scam.

You know that because?

I recently received some items that were known to be good. They arrived non-functional. They were packaged pretty well.

Only possible explanation for not working would be damaged during shipping. ;)

If you read my previous post you would see why.

I have yet figured out your problem with the hard drives. Seems odd that both are not functioning. Could be user error. :rolleyes: