Sign in to follow this  
madeline

Hijack Log as Requested by Jacee

madeline

MalwareBytes came back clean so don't worry over that.

By chance, did ComboFix say upload successful?

Also, can you run the Kaspersky scan?

madeline

MalwareBytes came back clean so don't worry over that.

By chance, did ComboFix say upload successful?

Also, can you run the Kaspersky scan?

Hi Juliet, I figured it out, sorry. Yes ComboFix uploaded ok and I posted the log. I am now running Kaspersky, its been about 2 hours and is 78 percent complete. Will post that info as soon as its finished, thanks for the reply.

Hi Juliet, I figured it out, sorry. Yes ComboFix uploaded ok and I posted the log. I am now running Kaspersky, its been about 2 hours and is 78 percent complete. Will post that info as soon as its finished, thanks for the reply.

Good deal, thank you.

Kaspersky Report Log:

KASPERSKY ONLINE SCANNER 7.0: scan report

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Operating system: Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600)

Kaspersky Online Scanner version: 7.0.26.13

Last database update: Wednesday, February 10, 2010 00:13:47

Records in database: 3460583

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scan settings:

scan using the following database: extended

Scan archives: yes

Scan e-mail databases: yes

Scan area - My Computer:

C:\

D:\

E:\

G:\

H:\

I:\

J:\

Scan statistics:

Objects scanned: 142979

Threats found: 1

Infected objects found: 2

Suspicious objects found: 0

Scan duration: 04:00:50

File name / Threat / Threats count

D:\I386\APPS\APP02906\src\CompaqPresario_Spring06.exe Infected: not-a-virus:AdWare.Win32.WeatherBug.a 1

D:\I386\APPS\APP02906\src\HPPavillion_Spring06.exe Infected: not-a-virus:AdWare.Win32.WeatherBug.a 1

Selected area has been scanned.

Slightly concerned because I left the computer running all night while the last scan ran. Before the report ran a box popped up stating an update was ready and I thought it was part of the scan process and hit ok. Hope I didn't re-infect my system. Update took about five minutes.....

What Kaspersky found came preinstalled on your computer and we will not be going after it since it's located in what should be the computers recovery console.

Slightly concerned because I left the computer running all night while the last scan ran. Before the report ran a box popped up stating an update was ready and I thought it was part of the scan process and hit ok. Hope I didn't re-infect my system. Update took about five minutes.....

My first thoughts is it's your antivirus updating, or a windows update. If it was something malicious you would know.

Logs look good now. It's looking like we can do final cleanup and preventive tips?

Great thanks so much. Will wait for your reply.

Also, not sure if I said it before but thank you CatByte for taking time to help me, its appreciated more than you know.

Great thanks so much. Will wait for your reply.

Also, not sure if I said it before but thank you CatByte for taking time to help me, its appreciated more than you know.

CatByte is awesome ain't she!

Don't miss or skip this next step, this will remove malicious files from quarantine and set a clean restore point.

Go to Start > Run > copy and paste the full text path in the run box

Start > Run & typing in ComboFix /Uninstall

Note the space between the x and the /U, it needs to be there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Download OTC by OldTimer and save it to your desktop.
  • Double click Posted Image icon to start the program. If you are using Vista, please right-click and choose run as administrator
  • Then Click the big Posted Image button.
  • You will get a prompt saying "Being Cleanup Process". Please select Yes.
  • Restart your computer when prompted.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Your good to go, good job!

Please take the time to read over a few of my preventive tips.

Please navigate to Microsoft Windows Updates and download all the "Critical Updates" for Windows.

Firefox 3

The award-winning Web browser is now faster, more secure, and fully customizable to your online life. With Firefox 3, added powerful new features that make your online experience even better. It has more features and is a lot more secure than IE. It is a very easy and painless download and install, it will no way interfere with IE, you can use them both.

*NoScript - Addon for Firefox that stops all scripts from running on websites. Stops malicious software from invading via flash, java, javascript, and many other entry points.

WOT Web of Trust, warns you about risky websites that try to scam visitors, deliver malware or send spam. Protect your computer against online threats by using WOT as your front-line layer of protection when browsing or searching in unfamiliar territory. WOT's color-coded icons show you ratings for 21 million websites - green to go, yellow for caution and red to stop, helping you avoid the dangerous sites. WOT has an addon available for both Firefox and IE.

How to prevent Malware: Created by Miekiemoes

Here are some additional utilities that will further enhance your safety.

# http://www.trillian.cc → Trillian or http://www.miranda-im.com → Miranda-IM - These are Malware free Instant Messenger programs which allow you to connect to multiple IM services in one program! (AOL, Yahoo, ICQ, IRC, MSN)

Scan your computer regularly for malware

Scan on a regular basis to keep your computer clean, free software such as Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) and SUPERAntiSpyware-

Please note that these products can also be run as free without a licience as a scan on demand scanner.

Backup regularly

You never know when your PC will become unstable or become so infected that you can't recover it. Follow this Microsoft article to learn how to backup. Follow this article by Microsoft to restore your backups.

Alternatively, you can use 3rd-party programs to back up your data. One example can be found at Bleeping Computer.

Avoid P2P

P2P may be a great way to get lots of stuffs, but it is a great way to get infected as well. There's no way to tell if the file being shared is infected. Worse still, some worms spread via P2P networks, infecting you as well. If you do need to use them, use them sparingly. Check this list of clean and infected P2P programs if you need to use one.

Please read this article 'Safe Computing Practices'.

So how did I get infected in the first place.

Secure My Computer: A Layered Approach

Strong passwords: How to create and use them

Free Antivirus-AntiSpyware-Firewall Software

Keep a backup of your important files - Now, more than ever, it's especially important to protect your digital files and memories. This article is full of good information on alternatives for home backup solutions.

Slow Computer May Not Be Malware Related, Help! My computer is slow!

http://users.telenet.be/bluepatchy/miekiem...owcomputer.html

PC Safety and Security--What Do I Need?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/security-c...-do-i-need.html

Stand Up and Be Counted ---> Malware Complaints <--- where you can make difference!

This site offers people who have been (or are) victims of malware the opportunity to document their story.

Extra note:

Make sure your programs are up to date - because older versions may contain Security Leaks. To find out what programs need to be updated, please run the Secunia Software Inspector Scan. http://secunia.com/software_inspector/

Thanks Juliet. What do you mean though "copy and past the full text path in the run box? Do you mean the line directly below it (Start>Run & typing in ComboFix /Uninstall?

Open the run box, then type in

ComboFix /Uninstall

Open the run box, then type in

ComboFix /Uninstall

Juliet thank you so very much!!! Switched to Firefox so hopefully that will help. I never liked IE anyway.

I truly appreciate all your help you have been wonderful!