Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest rorylee

Virus Or Just Suspicious?

Guest rorylee

Is it common for a file(s) to not be scanable by Norton AV 2002? C:/Documents and Settings/my name/ local settings/Temporary Internet Files/ conttent.IE5. Is not scannable by Norton AV, I get the message 'unable to open file, the file is in use by annother application or you don't have permission to open file', I am the administrator and I have nothing else running. After many scans Norton is not detecting anything, but I feel suspicious, the file is index.dat and it will not allow me to rename it either. It is 496 kb, can anyone explain this.

You didn't say your OS,,but have you tried getting at that file while in safe mode to do a scan??

Guest rorylee

My OS is Windows XP Service Pack 1, I just tried Safe Mode using Admin setting and stiil same message of no permission to open or in use by another application. I have done on-line scans with pitstop and panda and Norton, just today. They all say uninfected, however, why can't I scan this file? Something just doesn't seem right about that. Oh yeah, I also tried with Gladiator AV, too!

Not even Windows can do much with the index.dat files while they are in use. Notice that if you go to IE Tools | Internet Options | General tab | Settings | Move folder, it makes you reboot for the change to take effect because it can't move the folder while index.dat is in use.

Windows Cleanup!v3.0 clears index.dat, prompts you to log off, then in the process of logging back on, a new index.dat is created by windows. It is compatible with XP, I use it regularly with XP home, SP1. It is freeware, at 250kb. -kd5-