Sign in to follow this  
tw2

Mother board drivers sony

I have a sony vaio,model PCG-GRV550

They would like to have Ubuntu Installed on it.

Been two years sense i have done a linux install on a sony.

last time i had problems finding drivers for the mother board,

will i have the same thing again or will ubuntu put in drivers

for sound ,video with no or little problems?

Thank you

tw the best advice is to download the ubuntu 9.10 .iso, brun it to a cd, put cd in and restart, let the cd boot, select "try ubuntu without making any changes"

if the live cd loads to the desktop and you are not experiencing any issues' then it's possible you won't if you do a hard drive install.

these days their is no need running around for drivers "mostly"

Well,

live was good,didn`t see any problems, But i do have some issues to work through,,

Display did a setup made sure to turn off the never as far as time out, but i have no screen saver running ,while working the screen will go black,some times i can tap the mouse pad and it will come back.But most of the time i have to turn it off .then restart it.

Also working through webcam problems,new logitech 5000 pro and last is a kodak printer all in one ESP-3 will see if i can find drivers and or an app to make it work.

yes i did the updates and installs.Got a long way to go.For the most part running on a older laptop looks like this will work out.little slower then XP on the boot up,after i get everything working then will see if i can speed up the boot time ..

The logitech camera should work fine. What application are you trying to use it with?

As for the Kodak printer, return it. It doesn't function as expected ( it won't print ) That is in my opinion a defective device. ;)

Get a good printer with good driver support. HP has the absolute best printers and driver support across the spectrum of operating systems.

most logitech cams are supported out of the box and to get skype going with them is a cake walk, the built in messenger "empathy" under msn you may have some troubles, something up with the msn protocol on that, yahoo and others should work.

for the printer, hp's just work when you plug them in, hp obviously wants to sell their printers :tup:

For the record, I bought a Gateway Notebook and an HP PhotoSmart Plus printer a few months ago, and both worked out of the box with Ubuntu. All I had to do was activate an ATI driver. Even my old desktop from 2003 didn't require manually installing a driver.

ok,not my stuff sorry .

webcam now up and working in AMSN.

still having issues with display,not sure why it does this kinda of ramdon.

as it will go black ,no screen saver isn`t running.maybe ,just maybe it`s a power saver ...

it is a laptop so guess i need to check

as far as the kodak printers i own two and have no problems with them.

but this is a customers so it`s a kodak they have, will see what i can work out.

last time i put suse on a sony,i was pulling my hair out trying to get it work.

ubuntu so far just little things,bugs so to speak

or me doin the mess up myself sometimes i do over look.

or miss the simple setting.just like the power saver,

boy do i feel stupid now ... lol

There is no work around or driver for that printer.

So if they don't have another machine they can print from then it is just a large paper holder.

still having issues with display,not sure why it does this kinda of ramdon.

as it will go black ,no screen saver isn`t running.maybe ,just maybe it`s a power saver ...

it is a laptop so guess i need to check

go to system> preferences > screensaver

move slider to an appropriate idle time then select a different screensaver other than the default blank screen.

edit: at the bottom you will see a power management button, go in and set the monitor and computer sleep time, also notice hard disk spin down feature, that will save some extra power.

Edited by duanester

Yup,

you bet powersaver was the problem with the display..yes Bruce i told them about no support for kodak..

what a nightmare this is turning into for me ,got them talked into getting another printer HP for sure..

Got most of this in the bag.one thing i`m working around is Amsn is acting like it is fire walled.Gee i can`t fine one in ubuntu, plus i turned off the router, wired this one just a temp must be a bug in Amsn..

Not sure why they didn`t stick to windows ,they want it to act like it...

one thing i`m working around is Amsn is acting like it is fire walled.Gee i can`t fine one in ubuntu

there's a firewall and it's called iptables and it's running, if you want to modify it's rules you can installed firestarter from ubuntu software center.

now amsn i never tried on this version of linux, i will have a go at it and let you know.

Video will work with amsn, but audio does not.

If they want to use an application for video calls I highly recommend skype. :tup:

If they want to use an application for video calls I highly recommend skype. :tup:

i agree with bruce, skype is a multi platform app and i think everyone should have it, easy to install and configure on all platforms and it should replace "any" other application.

Ok,

I found the fire wall,got it set got everything working.So till they get the printer.then will have to go set it up for them.I agree on skype also.just can`t sometimes get customers to try things.

there take was all there friends will have to pay to use it...

one thing if i did more installs on laptops ,it might go faster for me.but for now one a year.

i`ll be back with more of the unknown,

Thanks guys , a lot.

Bruce

I agree on skype also.just can`t sometimes get customers to try things.

there take was all there friends will have to pay to use it...

skype to skype is free, to call a landline or cell phone will cost.

basically it's everything an instant messenger can be except it works on all platforms, windows, linux, mac..... unlike a windows live messenger that only works on windows, in this case we can add to the 40 million skype users.

I did set up skype as well as the hp printer.gee works without any problems..

So,now it is back.wonderful in pieces :pullhair:

what is it with people leaving the laptop on a table pluged in when not in use.

I guess the little one got up for a drink walked into the cords and off it came..

Just what i wanted a repete....