Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

keith1937

Defrag concerns is it working correctly?

I have recently installed W7 on a new clean HD and I know exactly what I have on that drive.

Total fragments should be 10%

Data fragments should be 10%

That is what it is telling me.

My results are after three runs

The previous run for Total fragments was 10.67% then after next run 10.93% a second run as suggested 10.68%

No problems with that at all.

Data fragment is totally different.

Data fragments first run 45.20% second run 44.62%

That is my concern why is it so high after the second run?

I am not running any other defragment programs at all.

Keith :adios::adios:

Your description of the issue indicates that the fragmentation is most likely in the restore points.

You can either run Windows Disk Cleanup and delete all but the last restore point, or, if necessary, turn off System Restore, reboot and defrag, then turn System Restore back on (and be sure to manually create a new restore point in Windows 7) and you should see great improvement.

I always run Disk Clean up first any way.

I tick every box as well.

The only thing I do not do is clean up system files as I do not understand what that means.

if necessary, turn off System Restore, reboot and defrag, then turn System Restore back on (and be sure to manually create a new restore point in Windows 7) and you should see great improvement.

That just seems to complicated for me to do sorry.

I do not know how to do each of those steps.

Please post an OverDrive link so that we can see what is taking place on your computer. You will need to register an account, login, and run the full tests from the link below, then copy and paste the URL from the results page into your reply:

http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/

If you need help, there is a tutorial here:

http://forums.pcpitstop.com/html/helpfiles/techexphelp.htm

IntelGuy

Thank you

I will do that tomorrow morning.

Its a stinking hot night only 9pm and its 30C outside

I am in Victoria In Australia

Hello IntelGuy

Sorry to say no matter what I do I can not run that test. I have checked my Internet Options several times and it is set up exactly as recommended. I even restarted the computer and rechecked the settings and still OK

As far as I know I have Active X but again for some reason your program tells me I cannot access it.

If I remember some time back with XP I had the same thing.

Is there a link so that I can download Direct X

Do I have to find any old Direct X and remove it. If so where is it?

In other words what do I do now.

Would re-downloading PC Matic help

I also did a MS update and I am up to date Nop problems there

Can you run the Active X test from here?:

http://www.pcpitstop.com/testax.asp

If you are using IE, please go to: Tools | Manage Add-ons | Add-ons currently loaded in Internet Explorer and also | Add-ons that have been used by Internet Explorer and verify that all Active X add-ons from PC Pitstop are enabled.

Hello IntelGuy

I hate to say I have tried that several times today plus going further and checking the Active X recommendations and they are all correct (enabled) where it is supposed to be etc.

If you are using IE, please go to: Tools | Manage Add-ons | Add-ons currently loaded in Internet Explorer and also | Add-ons that have been used by Internet Explorer and verify that all Active X add-ons from PC Pitstop are enabled.

Active X is not there either

I am running W7 and IE8

Is it possible there is a different Active X for IE8 ?

Is there a MS link some where I have hunted for it but no luck I can test/run it from many unknown links and I do not want to risk that.

There must be some thing stopping it being installed BUT WHERE????? is the big question.

I am starting to get a bit frustrated I dont know you are feeling about this problem.

Can you run the Active X test from here?:

http://www.pcpitstop.com/testax.asp

You seem to be saying in other posts about netscape and opera etc. that these tests will only function properly for those who use IE as their default browser and have activeX enabled?

The test page fails for me using firefox (latest) as well as flock (Firefox based) even with adblock opened wide for your systems and activex enabled. It works fine with permissions in IE. :unsure:

I only use IE when I am forced to (windows update) as it seems to still be a requirement for that to function without jumping through various add-on hoops.

So, again, can people using other than IE as a default use pcmatic? This will especially be important for people such as myself planning to purchase a ten user license that operates on remote systems I can only access when the user connects to my remote help desk.

So far I'm seeing plenty of evidence for holding off on upgrading from Optimize 3.0 to pcmatic. Especially since I've also learned via this forum that there are windows update cleanup features in optimize 3.0 that have not yet been implemented in pcmatic which results in optimize finding things to cllean up when run stand alone after the all inclusive pcmatic has been run? That limitation is certainly not implied anywhere in the site advertising or literature.

Sign me waiting for the dust to clear. :unsure::(

The browser issues are only with the free OverDrive diagnostic scan.

Our paid software products such as PC Matic are browser independent, meaning they do not need any particular browser. The Windows components used by our software are part of the Windows installation and are also used by and can be configured through Internet Explorer, which is itself an integral part of a Windows installation.

I don't see a lag of a week or two to add a feature from one product into a separate unique product as a limitation. I see the fact that PC Matic can be updated on the fly and will be automatically updated for the users without them having to do anything other than run the program as a big plus.

Hello IntelGuy

Where do I go from here.

Does PC Pitstop have a separate tool that I can just run a defrag.

Running the MS Defrag will not help as it uses a different system (am I correct)?

You can try running the MS defrag, but it has a bad habit of not reporting files that it cannot defrag. Unless we can get a look at what files those are, we are really just guessing. Did you cleanup any extra restore points?

Open Windows Disk cleanup from Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Disk Cleanup, and then click the 'More Options' tab to delete all but the most recent restore point.

Also, it is OK to let Disk cleanup remove any suggested system files. It will not remove anything important.

Hello IntelGuy

For years I have always done a clean up before I turn the computer off.

I have finally reduced the Total Fragments from 10.67 to 5.95

Data Fragments from 45.20 to 27.56

Over the last few days I have been the test and Fix it every day and it is very slowly working.

Is there any other Defrag systems I can try other than MS that might help, or should I leave it well alone and just keep going along very slowly.

Is it possible I could have a glitch in my Defrag program?

Files in use cannot be defragged, so make sure that everything possible is shut down when defragging.

You can also try defragging from Safe Mode with Networking in case there is something running that is interfering with the defrag process.

Hello IntelGuy

I ran it in the safe mode as per instructions.

A few surprises.

It started of at bottom 33%

The total started at 6.83 and finished at 5.96

Data 27.99 to 27.44

That was after two runs.

I turned the computer off and run it again as usual

33% went to 50%

Total 6.1 to 5.59

Data 27.97 to 27.55

It looks like the Data in OK and the Total is moving down very slowly

I also tried again to get the info you require but still no go.

Looks like its one of those things.

Thank you for all your help .

Unless you can think of any thing else it looks like you have tried every thing.

I will keep running the program every time I close of and see what happens by the way its going at .5% its going to take some time to get it down.

I think I am wording this correctly. before I had W7 I could reduce (a old memory/restore ???) by using a slider to 1% but for some reason I can not find it now

Can you help with that one if not no big deal. I tried it in the trouble shooting but I could not find it at all I know it was there in XP.

Thanking you again

Hello Keith.

In Windows 7 go to Start/Control Panel/System/System Protection/Configure.

You should now see the familiar slider and the options to Turn Off, Reduce or otherwise configure your restore settings.

Thank you.

Shogan

Thank you this should improve my score it was set at about 24%+

I have moved it back to 2% I can go to 1%

Can you tell me what the recommended setting/storage should be please

1 to 2 GB's should be adequate.

Also, PC Matic should be able to tell you exactly where the fragmentation is:

To see the fragmentation analysis:

Posted Image <--- Click here

Posted Image