Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tx Redneck

? about defrag w/ PCMatic.

How come w/ regular use/running of PCMatic the defrag process takes a long time? It doesn't always do it but rather frequently. My thoughts would be that if the proggy was run frequently that the defrag process would get quicker w/ subsequent runs UNLESS there's massive changes to the file quantity.

I don't wanna skip it all together since defragging is a necessary evil but at the same time I don't wanna be held hostage by the process either. Is there some way to reap full benefit w/ out the unusually long process?

My sys specs are in my Tech Express link.

TIA,

Bryan

The defrag should be getting faster each time it is run. There are two phases, the first is the file defrag and the second is the disk optimization. At the disk optimization, every file on the drive is moved to a new position to be closer to the edge of the platter to decrease the access time. Depending on the size and speed of the drive, this can take a while, but once it is done it should never take that long again, unless of course there is some other defrag program that is moving them back. Is everything else, including the native Windows defragger, shut off?

If you select 'partial' from the scan options, it should only run the defrag phase and skip the disk optimization. Try that and see if it speeds things up.

Yeah there's no other defragger in use on here. The reason I noticed it was the next to last time it was run, there was a driver update that NIS said was actin funny so this time I was waiting on that driver to try and update and turn NIS off so it could do its thing.

I'll re-run it and see what happens.

Well it went way fast this time w/out changing any settings. :huh: Now, my suggestion for yalls proggy would be that the preferences aren't set/kept by a cookie. Are there plans to change that in teh future?

, my suggestion for yalls proggy would be that the preferences aren't set/kept by a cookie.

That's already been done and promoted. The preferences are saved to the server.

That's already been done and promoted. The preferences are saved to the server.

:tup: I haven't been usin Ccleaner so I wouldn't have to re-fill out the info at the end.

Thanks I_G.

We're working on getting rid of that screen altogether after it has been filled out once.

Happy New Year Bryan!

We're working on getting rid of that screen altogether after it has been filled out once.

Happy New Year Bryan!

Cool beans!

Happy New Year to you and yours as well!