Sign in to follow this  
Superman199

Final Build pieces coming today.. RAID Question

My final pieces are coming today for my 1st build, and i have a quick question... To speed up the HDs, it RAID a good way to go? I look around the forums and see that many of you have this, so im gonna assume so, but i wanted to make sure... and if so, which way? RAID 0?

Also, do the 2 drives have to be the same size to work?

As always, i did a little research, but i like to ask the people i trust here for real updated info. Thanks!!

My final pieces are coming today for my 1st build, and i have a quick question... To speed up the HDs, it RAID a good way to go? I look around the forums and see that many of you have this, so im gonna assume so, but i wanted to make sure... and if so, which way? RAID 0?

Also, do the 2 drives have to be the same size to work?

As always, i did a little research, but i like to ask the people i trust here for real updated info. Thanks!!

Always best to have 2 identical drives for RAID. RAID 0 is fastest, but also most dangerous, if one drive fails you've lost everything...... RAID 1 is mirrored, one drive to the other and is supposed to let you replace a drive if one fails and not lose data....

Here's some good reading by our own X_C (Don North)....

http://bctis.com/page.php?5

http://bctis.com/page.php?7

:geezer:

Thanks!!

If i do RAID 1, is it still faster than just 1 drive, or no?

NO.

Raid 0, as already stated is fastest but comes with a risk, that's why I back up to an external 2gb NAS drive.

Raid 1, will have no significant speed increase and may actually be slower than one standard drive due to the mirroring process (so I have been told). Also with Raid 1, you effectivley 1/2 your storage, so if you buy 2 x 500gb drives you will only be able to use 500gb as the rest goes to mirrored storage.

You could also go with a Raid 5, 4 disk setup and get the best of both worlds.

isn't a raid 5 with four drives faster then a raid 0 with 2 drives???

supposedly. It always depends on the raid controller if its onboard or has a addon card, and stuff like that. Id take RAID 0 anyday though.

i don't think raid 5 is supported by most onboard raid controllers(just 0 and 1) and you need a dedicated card to use raid 5.

also i'm not sure if it is faster than raid 0 because all it does is use 1 drive for parity or error checking and the others as a normal raid 0, so a bit safer yes but faster no i don't think so, all being equal with the drives and the raid5 only having the 1 extra parity drive than the raid 0.

:b33r:

Edited by terry1966

terry.. The mobo he bought has support for raid 5 and 10..

But still I would recommend getting a controller as it is so much better than on board RAID..

I am using on board RAID right now but when I used my controller it is soo much faster that your on board raid will be!

Why not RAID 0+1 so you're stripped and mirrored? A buddy of mine runs his machines that way.

Sir.. If you're going to be doing a RAID 0, then I suggest leaving the OS and games ONLY on the RAID 0 drives, and get another 1TB drive or similar and store your data/music/movies etc..

RAID 0 might be quick, but you never know when a hard drive might malfunction, so you would have to keep backing up data every so often.. Not that it is guaranteed that your hard drive will die, but a hard drive.. it's hard to know really..

RAID 1 will be slower than a single drive, plus you only get space from one drive out of two, which is useless. RAID 5 can be done via onboard RAID, but it's suggested to do it with a RAID card to see the real speed..

I found the best option was RAID 0 for OS and games, and a single large drive for all other things..

Sir.. If you're going to be doing a RAID 0, then I suggest leaving the OS and games ONLY on the RAID 0 drives, and get another 1TB drive or similar and store your data/music/movies etc..

RAID 0 might be quick, but you never know when a hard drive might malfunction, so you would have to keep backing up data every so often.. Not that it is guaranteed that your hard drive will die, but a hard drive.. it's hard to know really..

RAID 1 will be slower than a single drive, plus you only get space from one drive out of two, which is useless. RAID 5 can be done via onboard RAID, but it's suggested to do it with a RAID card to see the real speed..

I found the best option was RAID 0 for OS and games, and a single large drive for all other things..

I am running exactly that setup. But rather I have my old IDE drive running as my boot.

Well said miggsy! BTW, where the heck have ya' been???

:geezer:

How's it going miggsy? :adios:

That's how I have mine setup right now. 3 drives in Raid 0 and changed location of all my personal folders to a single drive. When I get around to it I'm going to mirror 2 drives for my personal folders.

:tup:

Guest Kojak

terry.. The mobo he bought has support for raid 5 and 10..

But still I would recommend getting a controller as it is so much better than on board RAID..

I am using on board RAID right now but when I used my controller it is soo much faster that your on board raid will be!

I'm using on board raid 0 with an UPS.

If I went to a card, could I simply switch the array to the card ?

Or would I have to start fresh ?