Sign in to follow this  
BigJoe5434

Gun Lovers

That doesn't surprise me. Why, that's like taking a knife to a gun fight. What are you gonna do, throw it at the intruder? Srsly...

Actually in close quarters (20 feet) the knife wins in such a fight. By the time ya'll get yer guns out, ya been stabbed a few times :P

Joking aside, that is a fact I just got from the president of the gun club I was recently putting a roof on.

Actually in close quarters (20 feet) the knife wins in such a fight. By the time ya'll get yer guns out, ya been stabbed a few times :P

Joking aside, that is a fact I just got from the president of the gun club I was recently putting a roof on.

Was the gun not loaded?

Absolutely. It is a commonly known fact and in fact is why many, many people with knives are shot by police officers and then the public gets outraged, the public simply doesn't understand what the 21 foot rule is.

Basically within 21 feet, the man with the knife has the advantage over someone with a gun that is holstered or concealed. He even has a slight advantage over a gun carrier when the gun is in hand, basically the knife wielder can close the gap of 21 feet faster then most people can react, and the knife is more deadly and accurate when the two actually are in contact with each other.

Soooo, you go ahead and bring that knife to the gun fight, in your average sized room you will win the fight most of the time, but don't forget to have your gun with you for those 30 foot encounters. ;)

I absolutely love the old military colt .45's and it would be my choice of handgun. You pop a .45 round into something, and it ain't getting back up :P

This is true.If the knife is out and there within 15feet.You better go to the ER for those knife wounds.

Ive seen it demonstrated also and theres no way to pull a gun and shoot in time to stop them.

Absolutely. It is a commonly known fact and in fact is why many, many people with knives are shot by police officers and then the public gets outraged, the public simply doesn't understand what the 21 foot rule is.

Basically within 21 feet, the man with the knife has the advantage over someone with a gun that is holstered or concealed. He even has a slight advantage over a gun carrier when the gun is in hand, basically the knife wielder can close the gap of 21 feet faster then most people can react, and the knife is more deadly and accurate when the two actually are in contact with each other.

Soooo, you go ahead and bring that knife to the gun fight, in your average sized room you will win the fight most of the time, but don't forget to have your gun with you for those 30 foot encounters. ;)

I absolutely love the old military colt .45's and it would be my choice of handgun. You pop a .45 round into something, and it ain't getting back up :P

Well I'm not one of those people that gets outraged over a police officer protecting themselves from someone with a knife. Matter of fact I personally don't know anybody that does.

What kind of gun in this 21' deal? Give me a hand gun and shorten the distance and I become more accurate. I''ll take the hand gun, thank you.

Though there are always many variables involved that can modify the risk, the knife does generally have the advantage in close quarters. That is what we taught as well.

But imagine the possible difference when the knife is the defensive weapon and the gun is the offensive weapon at 21 feet when the gun wielder has the immediate intent to kill. :unsure:

Also consider that most defensive circumstances happen at fairly close quarters and suddenly the knife looks more viable as a weapon than might have been apparent before.

Remember that the vast majority of shots fired "in anger" never hurt anybody.

Well I'm not one of those people that gets outraged over a police officer protecting themselves from someone with a knife. Matter of fact I personally don't know anybody that does.

What kind of gun in this 21' deal? Give me a hand gun and shorten the distance and I become more accurate. I''ll take the hand gun, thank you.

Well maybe a little reading is in order.

Even the police say 21 feet is often not even enough time to react, in other words they are stressing that officers be trained and trained well because within 21 feet and in the link below sometimes a little further, the man with the knife will indeed win in close distances, even if he/she is shot, the person with the knife will still be able to inflict serious and deadly blows.

google search 21 foot rule, the very first link that came up.

http://www.policeone.com/edged-weapons/art...e-valid-Part-1/

Among other police instructors, John Delgado, retired training officer for the Miami-Dade (FL) PD, has extended the 21-Foot Rule to 30 feet. "Twenty-one feet doesn't really give many officers time to get their gun out and fire accurately," he says. "Higher-security holsters complicate the situation, for one thing. Some manufacturers recommend 3,000 pulls to develop proficiency with a holster. Most cops don't do that, so it takes them longer to get their gun out than what's ideal. Also shooting proficiency tends to deteriorate under stress. Their initial rounds may not even hit."

Beyond that, there's the well-established fact that a suspect often can keep going from momentum, adrenalin, chemicals and sheer determination, even after being shot. "Experience informs us that people who are shot with a handgun do not fall down instantly nor does the energy of a handgun round stop their forward movement," states Chris Lawrence, team leader of DT training at the Ontario (Canada) Police College and an FSRC Technical Advisory Board member. Says Lewinski: "Certain arterial or spinal hits may drop an attacker instantly. But otherwise a wounded but committed suspect may have the capacity to continue on to the officer's location and complete his deadly intentions."

http://www.policeone.com/close-quarters-co...le-valid-Part-2

Thats why I love the .45 ACP.A big chunck of slow moving lead will knock a :filtered: down as well as kill him.

Not a fan of these little fast moving bullets these days.

Nice to see you back. You are correct about the 21' rule.

Blah all the fancy noob whizbangers! :P Over 80 years old, been through several wars, and fired many 1000s rounds by me later. Was ny grandfather's, my father's, and been mine for the last 40 years. :lol:

Posted Image

Bad picture but I was in a hurry. That's not a beer mug below the colt but will do in a pinch. :mrwinky:

Edited by John 44

The legend is well known....and also a little exaggerated.

In the words of Massad Ayoob:

“Shooting straight with your .38 beats the bad guy’s jive with his 45.”

I place more emphasis on who stands behind the gun than the gun itself. Remember, the assassin's caliber of choice is actually the .22 rimfire. ;)

The .45 is a very respectable caliber and very well proven indeed, a classic by any standards, and a good choice for a defensive round. But the shotgun trumps all as a home defense weapon. ;)

joe i sense you anxiousness my friend, it reminds us of our first xmas, we are anxious for that day to come quickly then we run to the tree before anyone else wakes up' then we stop on the way and think twice and get everyone else up to share the experience because we know that it would be a much better experience shared together, your sharing that with us.

this time it's a gift to yourself for your hard work and effort and i wish you the best xmas ever and the happiest new year :)

joe i sense you anxiousness my friend, it reminds us of our first xmas, we are anxious for that day to come quickly then we run to the tree before anyone else wakes up' then we stop on the way and think twice and get everyone else up to share the experience because we know that it would be a much better experience shared together, your sharing that with us.

this time it's a gift to yourself for your hard work and effort and i wish you the best xmas ever and the happiest new year :)

thanks for the kind words and i also wish you the best christmas and new years as well. :clap:

you know after checking out gunbroker.com i realised im spending damn near $150 bucks more at the shop for my Springfield XDM 40. :mrsgreen:

i put the gun on layaway, with $200 bucks down and still have remaining $471 on the reciept.

thats a total of $671 for that gun, i could have it for closer to the $550 mark if i get a collectors FFL then i can order a gun fax them proof of my FFL and have it shipped to me.

something i will be looking into in the near future :P

you know after checking out gunbroker.com i realised im spending damn near $150 bucks more at the shop for my Springfield XDM 40. :mrsgreen:

i put the gun on layaway, with $200 bucks down and still have remaining $471 on the reciept.

thats a total of $671 for that gun, i could have it for closer to the $550 mark if i get a collectors FFL then i can order a gun fax them proof of my FFL and have it shipped to me.

something i will be looking into in the near future :P

Lemme know if you do that. I'll slip you some geedus towards any future purchases. ;)

haha thats right being an ffl holder you can have guns shipped to me. but to behonest the drive you would have to make and being my "cuz" :lol: doubt i would charge ya. now others locally yea :P

haha thats right being an ffl holder you can have guns shipped to me. but to behonest the drive you would have to make and being my "cuz" :lol: doubt i would charge ya. now others locally yea :P

25% discount for us Pit members, right Joe??? :lol:

:geezer:

25% discount for us Pit members, right Joe??? :lol:

:geezer:

there ya go :lol:

nah i think Tx lives in Garland, which is about 100 miles from here. i think a generous offer would be meet him half way (Fort Worth) and charge only for my gas used. or no fee if he makes the entire trip :tup: