Sign in to follow this  
Jacee

Setting Time Limit on your computer

I just found this handy little application .... it works with XP, Vista and Windows 7.

I downloaded it on my Vista, and it really works :P:lol:

(kick yourself off the computer to go to bed!)

If you want to have your computer shut down at a certain time of day or night, then try windows auto shutdown timer

http://www.techknowl.com/2009/05/windows-a...down-timer.html

I just found this handy little application .... it works with XP, Vista and Windows 7.

I downloaded it on my Vista, and it really works :P:lol:

(kick yourself off the computer to go to bed!)

If you want to have your computer shut down at a certain time of day or night, then try windows auto shutdown timer

http://www.techknowl.com/2009/05/windows-a...down-timer.html

Sorry for being such ignorant parents, but does this work for getting teenagers off the computer at night? They each set themselves up as administrators on the computer (before us), and most controls I find only work against users who are not admin.

They each set themselves up as administrators

There is no reason for kids to have administrator's rights.  Moreover, it is extremely bad practise to browse the Web, retrieve or open e-mail, or use the Internet in nearly any fashion while logged on as an administrator.

My advice --- log on to an account with administrator's rights, open the User Accounts tool in the Control Panel, and change all the children's accounts to Limited User.  For all accounts with administrator's rights, including the Administrator account, set a password that cannot be guessed and that you will not forget.

If you're using Windows XP, the Administrator account likely is not displayed in User Accounts, so you cannot set a password.  In this case, click Start and Run, type Control UserPasswords2 and click OK to open an alternate User Accounts tool.  Click Administrator, click Reset Password, enter and reenter the password, and click OK.  Click OK.

If you have no access to any account with Administrator's rights, restart the computer and, just before Windows starts to load, begin tapping the F8 key.  When the advanced options menu appears, highlight Safe mode and press Enter.  If you can log on to the Administrator account, make the changes described above.