Sign in to follow this  
JohnBick

Pc Matic - Multiple Questions & Suggestions

Long-time PC Pitstop customer/user, new to the forums here. I have attempted to see if these are covered in other PC Matic posts (a couple questions were and are not included here) but I have not seen these.

Background: Initial scan/repair with all defaults worked fine.

Problem #1: When scanning C:\Documents and Settings\User\AppData\Local\Application Data the Security Scan (High Level Threats) locks up, imposes a very high CPU utilization (one core at almost 100%, the other at 50-60%) and sits there. In exploring the situation I found that this directory is actually not accessible even when I try to browse it as an Administrator. PC Matic should be able to recognize this and move past such a situation. Changing to a QUICK Malware scan does not seem to access that subdirectory ant works fine.

Problem #2: The documentation implies that the user will have the option, after the scan, to select what changes are to be made. I am extremely disappointed that the user is not asked BEFORE any attempt is made to defragment the selected disk. Ideally this would include an estimate of how long it is expected to take. I did not appreciate a 15-hour exercise, especially when I run a defragmentation program (PerfectDisk) in the background. I did appreciate the report but should be able to avoid the automated "fix".

-------------

Suggestion A: Many screens have information in "shaded"or lighter text colors. Especially with smaller type this is painfully difficult to see. Please change these to BLACK type. Specifically I note the text above the progress line, the cotents of the Fixes/Advice Summary Report and even the screen shown before the fixes are applied (the latter being somewhat better though).

Suggestion B: Allow the selection of multiple disks.

Suggestion C: I would like to see more details on exactly what changes are being made with the option to individually accept or reject each one.

Suggestion D: The screen for Reports-->Advice (Entitled "Miscellaneous Results - Performance Tweaks - Advice" is confusing. Is this all advice or are some of these changes being made automatically? The text of the right states these are recommended changes but the column header says these are "Test Results". Are these the settings detected or the ones suggested? Change it to two columns showing what it is currently and what is recommended and CLEARLY state whether these chabnges are being made or whether I need to make them manually. It gets more confusing when the Summary Advice lists more items than in the Advice Report, including one not listed on ANY other report (Firefox Passwword Security) that I could find. (See Suggestion A for that summary report!)

Suggestion E: When the Options are saved close the window...

Suggestion F: Performance testing should include ALL attached displays.

Suggestion G: A detailed Final Report should be saved in a file for future reference. I suggest saving the last THREE by default.

Suggestion H: Details should be reported as to why the "World Rank" is what it is. What is my "weak spot"? Strength? What could I do to improve my system?

--------------

If there are work-arounds for any of these I would appreciate pointers. If there is a better place to report the problems please let me know about that as well.

I am willing to beta-test any possible solutions.

:wp:

Thank you for the very detailed and concise suggestions. I have forwarded them intact to the development team as feature requests.

For Problem #2, we expect to have the option to select which fixes are to be implemented finished and updated by the end of the year. It should be an automatic update. One day you will open the program and the new options will be there.

For Problem #1) The problem most likely is a corrupted file down farther in the Application Data directory. What we have seen previously are very large (2-3GB) corrupted PST files. And yes, PC Matic should be able to recognize that and move on. I thought we had the issue fixed, but your expreience would prove otherwise.

To see what we need to do to get this resolved we will need for you to open a help desk ticket. You can do that from here: http://www.pcpitstop.com/store/service.asp

John,

Thanks for the great customer feedback. I think this is a great place to post them. Hopefully, others will join in and we can have one place where we can see what features people want.

First off, I'd like you to know that PC Matic is a different type of application because the code actually resides on the internet as opposed to your hard drive. Therefore, as we add features, you will automatically receive them. You won't need to do anything other than run the application.

We also recently completed a full PC Matic customer survey and based on that survey, many of the requests and issues are already being fixed and should be rolled out shortly.

We are adding two features before the end of the year.

1. The ability to select which drivers will be updated.

2. The ability to skip the defragmentation

As far as the World Rank goes, you can click on your ranking and it will open a window with an analysis of the world rank. Also if you click on the Fixes and Advices section, you will get a complete rundown of everything we recommend be addressed for that PC.

Again, thanks for the feedback.

Thank-you both for your responses.

FYI, I was aware of being able to click on the fix/advice area. Evidently I had not clicked on the right place for the ranking details.

Unfortunately I am VERY hesitant to run the program again. While typing my comments above I had left the PC Matic results displayinh to use as a reference. (Had run it an extra time to be able to display them actually -- really want to see saved reports.) When I completed the post I did a restart on my W7 Ultimate/32 desktop (P5B-e motherboard, 2x150 RAID-1 C-Drive, 320x4 RAID-5 D-Drive). The restart process just stopped. Froze. No disk activity, just a nice windows logo. (I left it for over 1/2 hour.) I pressed my reset button and was eventually told that Windows was not recoverable, did I want to recover an older version. I answered YES and, 12++ hours later it was still just thrashing.

I tried going the "F8" route and selecting the last known good configuration. I got in, sort-of, but was told it was not genuine Windows, performance was non-existent (unusable) due to disk activity (minor CPU load). I gave up again after a couple hours.

I am the VERY proud owner of an HP MSS and at times like that I ask myself why I wasted all that time. Half an hour later I had recovered to the day beofre I installed PC Matic and was running fine. But was the problem with PC Matic? Ran it about four-five times with basically the same steps as before (no other applications running this time, and no posting while reading!) SAME PROBLEM.

Repeated the entire sequence again: Install, initial scan with defaults, restart, let the C-Drive defrag (not too bad time-wise), Quick options then thorough and then quick again. Then quick once more. SAME PROBLEM.

This time when I restarted I did not re-install PC Matic.

I'll open that ticket tomorrow (it's too late to attempt it tonight). I :filtered:-u-me it will be OK to link back to this rather than re-do all the data entry?

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble.

When you open the ticket you can just put it to Attn Doug and state it is John Bick from the forum and we'll take it from there.

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble.

When you open the ticket you can just put it to Attn Doug and state it is John Bick from the forum and we'll take it from there.

i too have problems with pcmatic , my wont load properly saying not all activex controls could be loaded , ive tried everything they suggested but now my comp`s not the same things keep freezing , wish i hadn`t bought it

Our software comes with a 30-day 100% satisfaction money-back guarantee. If you are not satisfied with your purchase or how the program works, just let us know and your money will be refunded.

You can request a refund from here:

http://www.pcpitstop.com/store/service.asp

If the Active X controls are not loading the problem is with the Windows installation, incorrectly configured security software, or the browser settings, not with PC Matic.

There is nothing in trouble shooting Active X issues that would cause a computer to start freezing. I would recommend doing a malware scan or a Windows System Restore.

Guest jsm555

All good suggestions, certainly should be included in a product of this type - I'm beginning to wonder if PCMatic ever finished beta test.

Long-time PC Pitstop customer/user, new to the forums here. I have attempted to see if these are covered in other PC Matic posts (a couple questions were and are not included here) but I have not seen these.

Background: Initial scan/repair with all defaults worked fine.

Problem #1: When scanning C:\Documents and Settings\User\AppData\Local\Application Data the Security Scan (High Level Threats) locks up, imposes a very high CPU utilization (one core at almost 100%, the other at 50-60%) and sits there. In exploring the situation I found that this directory is actually not accessible even when I try to browse it as an Administrator. PC Matic should be able to recognize this and move past such a situation. Changing to a QUICK Malware scan does not seem to access that subdirectory ant works fine.

Problem #2: The documentation implies that the user will have the option, after the scan, to select what changes are to be made. I am extremely disappointed that the user is not asked BEFORE any attempt is made to defragment the selected disk. Ideally this would include an estimate of how long it is expected to take. I did not appreciate a 15-hour exercise, especially when I run a defragmentation program (PerfectDisk) in the background. I did appreciate the report but should be able to avoid the automated "fix".

-------------

Suggestion A: Many screens have information in "shaded"or lighter text colors. Especially with smaller type this is painfully difficult to see. Please change these to BLACK type. Specifically I note the text above the progress line, the cotents of the Fixes/Advice Summary Report and even the screen shown before the fixes are applied (the latter being somewhat better though).

Suggestion B: Allow the selection of multiple disks.

Suggestion C: I would like to see more details on exactly what changes are being made with the option to individually accept or reject each one.

Suggestion D: The screen for Reports-->Advice (Entitled "Miscellaneous Results - Performance Tweaks - Advice" is confusing. Is this all advice or are some of these changes being made automatically? The text of the right states these are recommended changes but the column header says these are "Test Results". Are these the settings detected or the ones suggested? Change it to two columns showing what it is currently and what is recommended and CLEARLY state whether these chabnges are being made or whether I need to make them manually. It gets more confusing when the Summary Advice lists more items than in the Advice Report, including one not listed on ANY other report (Firefox Passwword Security) that I could find. (See Suggestion A for that summary report!)

Suggestion E: When the Options are saved close the window...

Suggestion F: Performance testing should include ALL attached displays.

Suggestion G: A detailed Final Report should be saved in a file for future reference. I suggest saving the last THREE by default.

Suggestion H: Details should be reported as to why the "World Rank" is what it is. What is my "weak spot"? Strength? What could I do to improve my system?

--------------

If there are work-arounds for any of these I would appreciate pointers. If there is a better place to report the problems please let me know about that as well.

I am willing to beta-test any possible solutions.

Many of the items in the list were already scheduled to be added as new features.

As we add features, you will automatically receive them. You won't need to do anything other than run the application.

We also recently completed a full PC Matic customer survey and based on that survey, many of the requests and issues are already being fixed and should be rolled out shortly.

We are adding two features before the end of the year.

Just taking advantage of this post title...

I have PC Matic installed on a Windows 7 RC system, and here go my suggestions:

1. When launched the very first time after turning the system on, the app took too much long time to load. About two minutes.

2. After it loaded, it asked me to install two pieces of software, one of them a dll (I forgot to take note of them).

3. I noticed there is no "check for update" option, a commom one in such kind of apps.

4. Although logged in, the "User input" section has no data entry, like I've never done it, when I have. The same with the "Scan options" settings.

For Problem #1) The problem most likely is a corrupted file down farther in the Application Data directory. What we have seen previously are very large (2-3GB) corrupted PST files. And yes, PC Matic should be able to recognize that and move on. I thought we had the issue fixed, but your expreience would prove otherwise.

http://www.pcpitstop.com/store/service.asp[/url]

I am another one with the freeze up (problem 1) I ran a scan, had it do a full repair and rebooted. Went to do the recommended final scan and it froze while doing the HST test.

Raptor

Just taking advantage of this post title...

I have PC Matic installed on a Windows 7 RC system, and here go my complaints:

1.When launched the very first time after turning the system on, the app took too much long time to load. About two minutes.

What speed is your Internet connection? It should only take about 15-20 seconds to load.

2. After it loaded, it asked me to install two pieces of software, one of them a dll (I forgot to take note of them).

That is correct. There are actually four Active X controls that need to load after the initial installation. Depending on what free scans or programs have been run previously, some or all may be already on the computer.

3. I noticed there is no "check for update" option, a common one in such kind of apps.

PC Matic auto-updates, meaning that it is web-based and always loads the latest version available each time it starts.

4. Although logged in, the "User input" section has no data entry, like I've never done it, when I have. The same with the "Scan options" settings.

Logging out and then logging back in should resolve that issue.

I am another one with the freeze up (problem 1) I ran a scan, had it do a full repair and rebooted. Went to do the recommended final scan and it froze while doing the HST test.

Raptor

Sorry, but I don't recognize what you mean by the HST test. Which test is that?

These features are now added.

Okey.....first, thanks for watching the forums and working on making PCMatic a worthwhile program.

Yes, all the users are correct....it needs a lot of work, but as with any new experimental type program, there will be bugs, glitches and a lot of mid-nite oil to burn to make it right.

You said in a previous post that new features were being added and as stated above I see that in "settings" I can skip defragmentation. Thank you very much for that option as I use a 3rd party defragmenter for my system.

You also say above, that we now have the ability to select which drivers will be updated.

Hmmmm.....maybe not.

I ran PCMatic and it said I had 2 drivers that needed updating.

I do not want to update these drivers as they actually do not apply to my system as currently configured.

Therefore, I unchecked them and was assuming that they would not be downloaded and installed.

Wrong assumption.

When I clicked on the "Fix ALL" button, because it's the only choice there is (which is a bad choice), it ran thru all the other fixes and then started downloading the new drivers.

I immediately shut the program down and rebooted my system just to be sure it didn't keep downloading.

I have not tried this option again.....one scare is enough.

Other than that.....PCMatic appears to be on a good course but users definitely need to be able to pick and choose which "fixes" they want to complete and which they do not want to complete.

Also, just to let you know....on the main screen where it shows your system, there is not enough room to completely see the full description of my system. The bottom line of the description is cut in half.

Now, take care and have a great day.

Bill in NC

Edited by wonka

Yours is the first and only report that the driver skip feature is not working. It works as intended on my five systems.

You need to open a ticket at our help desk so that we can see what's happening on your computer. You can do that from here:

http://www.pcpitstop.com/store/service.asp

Thanks for the link to submit a report.

I ran a new scan this morning which completed normally.

It told me I had 2 out of date drivers which I previously explained that I do not want to update.

I uncheck the "install" blocks under the drivers section of the report and then told PCMatic to "Fix All".

It again went thru all the other fixes and then started to download the new drivers.

I will go to the link you gave me and submit a report.

Thanks and have a great day.

Bill

Sorry, but I don't recognize what you mean by the HST test. Which test is that?

HST is the High Security Scan it still will not finish and freezes at about 131000 file count.

Raptor

Thank you for the additional information.

Please try this:

1) uninstall PC Matic from the control panel add/remove programs

2) check the installed programs list for an entry called Exterminate3 (this entry does not say PC Pitstop in front of it so it'll appear in the list with the rest of the E's), remove the entry if it's there

3) manually go to c:\program files\pcpitstop and manually delete the PC Matic and Exterminate3 folders to make sure that all parts are removed (sometimes the malware piece, which is what's failing, leaves behind files and we want to make sure you get fresh copies)

4) reinstall PC Matic from this link:( http://www.pcpitstop.com/store/get.asp?prd...ic&aff=0002 ) or our website and after installing verify that Exterminate3 is back in the add/remove program list

5) open PC Matic and go to the options and verify that the malware scan is on

6) do another scan and let us know if the issue is not resolved