Sign in to follow this  
warchild119

problem with router

hey guys i have a linksys wrt300n router that is not allowing me to connect to the internet.

i bought it 3 years ago and now is giving me problems. i tried to reset it but nothing happened and i have no clue how to update the firmware.

can anyone help me?

Nothing connects to the internet through the router? It you tried the reset and still can't get anything to go through the router, I would guess it's toast.

As for the reset button. It needs to be presses for at least 10 seconds. Curious if the connected machines are pulling an ip from the router? When you have the pc connected to the router open up Internet Explorer and type in 192.168.1.1 and enter. Then put in the password which normally is "admin" (without the qoutes) and no user name is needed. Does this give you access to the router's settings?

As for the reset button. It needs to be presses for at least 10 seconds. Curious if the connected machines are pulling an ip from the router? When you have the pc connected to the router open up Internet Explorer and type in 192.168.1.1 and enter. Then put in the password which normally is "admin" (without the qoutes) and no user name is needed. Does this give you access to the router's settings?

i'm able to get in the router.

Do you have another cable to change out with the cable going from the modem to the router?

I hated that Router, it's useless it might be the cable or more likely the router is wonky.

Unplug reset and unplug the router. Reboot the modem first and then power up the router and connect the WAN port.

Edited by Intratech

I hated that Router, it's useless it might be the cable or more likely the router is wonky.

Unplug reset and unplug the router. Reboot the modem first and then power up the router and connect the WAN port.

I'm assuming you already did what Intratech posted, if not go through those steps again.

You could try the firmware update. Go to Linksys website and grab the latest firmware for your router. There should be instructions that tell you how to do the update.

On my Linksys router it's as simple as downloading the file, log into the router and go to the "Help" tab and then click the "Upgrade Firmware" and point it to the file.

Edited by KRAM

if you have dsl you may need to manually change the routers ip, for example: if it's 192.168..0.1 it should be 192.168.2.1, save the changes and restart the router, you should then have an internet connection.

ok after a couple of resets and update the firmware 3 times it started to work.

difference now is that before i used to test the speed at speedtest.net and the result was 23mg/s and upload 7mb/s. now i get 12mb/s on downloads and less than 1mb/s on uploads.

you guys think i should just buy another router? whichone would you guys recomend?