Sign in to follow this  
garypace

Is My Cooler Working ?

I just finished building my i7-920 box. I have a Cooler Master V8 CPU cooler on a Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 mobo. At normal frequencies, I get 68C from Core Temp (@22 ambient) during Prime95 testing. If I O/C a little bit (2.9GHz) this increases to 78C.

The cooler's fins are cold, and the heat pipes at the CPU base not much more than warm.

I have a couple of questions for the more experienced people out there :

1 - Do you think my cooler mounting is bad ? I had a "uniform and thin as I could get" layer of Arctic Silver compound and I think I tightened the cooler clamps down evenly and "snug". It would help if the cooler manufacturer specified a final tightening torque for the screws. How tight is right ?

2 - On an i7-920, what "torture" temperature would you feel OK with - normal operation is about 50C. My current PC is a Q6600 @ 3GHz which idles around 50 and tortures around 80. It has been 100% solid for about 2 years.

Any advice will be appreciated

Thanks

GP

That's waaaay too hot. Something isn't right for temps that high at that speed.

Pull it and see if it made good contact with the cpu, check your fan.

No, no, no on that core temp.

if both pc's are hot then i'd say yes there's something wrong with that cooler, or the way you apply thermal compound and fix it, maybe it's just you aren't tightening it down fully.

hot temps on both cpu's and the only common factors are you and the cooler then one or the other isn't working correctly. ;)

up to you which one you want to blame.. :lol:

got a feeling that cooler doesn't give great temps anyway with an i7, might want to try googling the combo and see what everyone else gets. :tup:

:b33r:

your q6600 idles at 50c??? with mine at 3.2 with an arctic freezer 7 my idle was 30c..... hmmm ur stuff is def running hot....

agreed :tup:

rightnow im running 3.6 on my Q6600 and my idle temps in core temp show

Core 0 - 25c

Core 1 - 25c

Core 2 - 21c

Core 3 - 21c

nice cold morning to help it out

There is such a thing as spreading the Arctic Silver 5 too thin....... I'd definitely pull the heatsink off both of my rigs and reapply the paste. Use rubbing alcohol to clean up the cpu and heatsink then apply a nice thin layer to the CPU. (but not so thin that you can see the CPU thru' it) "Snug" in my opinion is the point where you start being afraid that the *threads are going to strip*.

:geezer:

Edited by caintry_boy

I have the coolermaster v10....I dont know that it makes much of a difference but i used the Coolermaster Thermalfusion 400 paste...

It was designed for the v8/v10 coolers....

I get about 40C/70C...idle/load at 4.0ghz w/ 1.20v....

and according to all the reviews the v8 has the same performace as the v10...

Thanks to everyone who replied.

I removed the cooler - the thermal interface compound looked perfect (very thin coating evenly on both the cooler and the CPU, no gaps). I re-seated and repeated the tests - same results (stock speed test - 2.67GHz).

So I went to Fry's and bought the most expensive water cooler they had on the shelf (Corsair H50 - looks pretty low-end to be honest)

My temperature rises at stock speed still surprise me - 11C rise @ idle (36C[core average] on a 25C - outside the case - ambient) and 34C rise with Prime95 8-threads (59C).

I'll do some more testing.

Are there more esoteric cooling solutions ? - phase change, Peltier etc ?

Why don't CPU coolers come specified properly ? Defining the "ambient" as air-intake into the cooling element (fins or radiator), the C/W of the case rise as a function of airflow can easily be specified for all supported CPU types.

Regards

GP

I'm running one of those H50's on my i7 920 folding system. The best thing I did for it was put 2 fans on the radiator. Dropped the core temp roughly 4c, down from 59c to 55c at 100% cpu load 24/7. That's still pretty high for my taste but I can live with it @ 3.7Ghz.

60c at 100% load for an i7 is coooool :lol:

these i7's are hot mf's. ;)

edit:- my temps on water with an oc of 3.8ghz

stress test was 40minutes of prime95

core0 :- low 39 high 65 immediately after stress test 45c

core1 :- low 37 high 62 immediately after stress test 42c

core2 :- low 39 high 63 immediately after stress test 45c

core3 :- low 35 high 59 immediately after stress test 40c

best air cooler i think for an i7 :- http://www.crazypc.com/products/prolimatec...lem-508600.html

Edited by terry1966

The temp I gave is for the cpu itself, not high per each core. That's what I thought garypace is referring too also.

60c at 100% load for an i7 is coooool :lol:

these i7's are hot mf's. ;)

edit:- my temps on water with an oc of 3.8ghz

stress test was 40minutes of prime95

core0 :- low 39 high 65 immediately after stress test 45c

core1 :- low 37 high 62 immediately after stress test 42c

core2 :- low 39 high 63 immediately after stress test 45c

core3 :- low 35 high 59 immediately after stress test 40c

best air cooler i think for an i7 :- http://www.crazypc.com/products/prolimatec...lem-508600.html

Thats how my temps are at 4.0ghz with the case side off...but then again i have a good chip

about 5-8 deg more with the side on... :P

My CPU is still hotter than I would expect. open-case, room ambient 24C and Prime95 running I get CPU mean temp of 63C with H50 water cooler with the CPU at stock speeds

The heat exchanger is cool to the touch (as are the water pipes). I begin to wonder if the issue here is the temperature sensing in the CPU.

A few years ago I designed a controller based on a Motorola Power PC 7457. This thing had registers in which I was supposed to be able to read junction temp - completely useless (accuracy +/- 20C or something)

Are there any ways to calibrate the temp sense from the CPU ?

63c seems about right to me at 100% load.

can you list your voltage settings and overclock if any your running, also does the temp immediately drop when you stop prime and to what temp?

My CPU is still hotter than I would expect. open-case, room ambient 24C and Prime95 running I get CPU mean temp of 63C with H50 water cooler with the CPU at stock speeds

The heat exchanger is cool to the touch (as are the water pipes). I begin to wonder if the issue here is the temperature sensing in the CPU.

A few years ago I designed a controller based on a Motorola Power PC 7457. This thing had registers in which I was supposed to be able to read junction temp - completely useless (accuracy +/- 20C or something)

Are there any ways to calibrate the temp sense from the CPU ?

When you say 63C are you talking about the cpu itself or the highest temp recorded on one of the four cores?

If it's the cpu, then yes it's high, but like terry1966 asked what's the clock speed and what are the volts? Did you put 2 fans on the radiator or still running just one?

When you say 63C are you talking about the cpu itself or the highest temp recorded on one of the four cores?

he said mean temp so assume it's the av of 4 high core readings.

Average of the 4 core temps

I am at stock clocking : 20 * 133Mhz = 2.66GHz, Vcore = 1.22V according to the BIOS

The thing I most notice is the coldness of the cooler radiator.

So either :

1 : The coolant flow is wrong

2 : The interface between the cooler and the processor surface is bad (I have used a gallium loaded TIC and applied a controlled 0.002" using a mask we use at work)

3 : The junction to case interface is bad

4 : The device is dissipating more power than it should

5 : The Tj measurement is wrong

6 : A 40C rise at stock temperatures is OK

7 : Some combination of the above.

I really don't know how to proceed. I had planned to OC this and was going to limit to 70C, but with only 7C to go, it doesn't seem worth it.

Previous posts have had <70C at 3.8GHz !!! Maybe I just got a sweaty one.

I would love to be able to calibrate the temperature feedback in some way, but have no idea how to do this.

without changing any voltages, see how high you can overclock it and compare the temps.

then raise the overclock to 4ghz with the needed voltage changes and compare the temps again.

the chip has lots of heat headroom.

the tjmax for an i7 is 99/100c so as long as you stay below 20/25c of that(from what i've read) you have nothing to worry about long term.

you might want to try 2 or 3 different temp monitoring apps just to check the temps your reading in the app your using is correctly calibrated. :tup:

the cooler your using even tho watercooled isn't any better than a high end air cooler like the one i listed before and the one ig is getting.

if you really want to check your temps against anything put the stock cooler on and see the difference, then you won't be worrying so much. :lol:

with stock cooling i got over 90c temp readings under prime95.

edit:- good air flow makes a big difference with the temps.

Edited by terry1966

If you're at stock and getting those kinds of temps with CoreTemp, it seems somethings amiss.......I'd double check my install procedure on the H50 and insure that I only have a nice thin layer of Arctic Silver 5.

Err on the side of caution.....

:geezer:

The best thing I did for my H50 was put 2 fans on it. push-pull. I have it on a i7 920 at 3.7Ghz folding 24/7. I thought it was doing a bad job, then I stuck a Zalman CNPS 9700 NT 110mm on it and found out it was doing a good job compared to the Zalman. The system is in my basement with a couple other systems, it gets kinda hot in the section they are in, but the cores run around 75c, that's 100% HyperThreading cpu usage 24/7...no breaks. The Zalman shot up over 80C within 2 min of folding.

This particular i7 920 is a horrible over clocker. I have to juice it with 1.375v to get it stable at a little ol 3.7Ghz.

Other thoughts, I wish I had never removed it and tried the Zalman. The paste that came on the H50 base actually worked better then the Arctic Silver 5 I have on it. Temp went up about 3C and I have cleaned, reapplied and reseated it 3 times trying to get it back to as good as before I pulled it.