Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Simon9one

Crossfire Question

Now that prices have fallen sufficiently, I'm looking to get a second HD 3870 and set it up with my current one in crossfire. I was wondering whether the HIS version of the card (right here) will work with the Diamond version I previously purchased.

I know next-to-nothing about crossfire, so any other tips would really help.

Now that prices have fallen sufficiently, I'm looking to get a second HD 3870 and set it up with my current one in crossfire. I was wondering whether the HIS version of the card (right here) will work with the Diamond version I previously purchased.

I know next-to-nothing about crossfire, so any other tips would really help.

yes that will work just fine :tup:

Hey Simon!

It will work since it is the same chipset, BUT I dont recomend that you go Xfire.

1) Your PSU will be pushing it, you will get immediate instability.

2) a single 4870 will wreck the dual setup and its $125 for a 512mb card. $144 for a 1gb

3) Old Technology! More Heat! Less Space!

You can easily sell your card for $50 and then $75 you get the 4870.

Sounds fair?

That's a good idea! A friend of mine is actually looking for a new midrange card (which may be part of the reason I'm buying now....I can't let him one-up me). He says he'll buy my current card, so this should work out perfectly.

While looking at cards the 4890 caught my eye, and all the reviews and benchmarks I saw only reinforced my lust for this card. Price be damned, I've made my decision.

It's good that you all approve. I did think about the 5000 series, but it looks like the 4890 is still kicking all but the best of them. And I don't think I'll need DX11 for a while. Hopefully, time permitting, I can get back to overclocking for the Pit in the not too distant future.