Sign in to follow this  
rosangela_1957

Install Windows XP Home Edition a Backup software

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/s...n/backupsw.mspx

Computers, like any appliance, can break down or fail. To protect your important files from computer failure, you should make backup copies of your files. Each edition of Microsoft Windows XP—except Windows XP Home Edition—includes Windows Backup, a program that helps you save your files to an external disk. If you use Windows XP Home Edition, you can manually install Windows Backup.

To manually install Windows Backup

1. Insert your Windows XP CD into your CD drive. If Windows XP Setup does not appear after several seconds, open My Computer, right-click your CD drive, and then click AutoPlay.

2. In the Welcome to Microsoft Windows XP window, click Perform additional tasks

3. Click Browse this CD.

4. Double-click VALUEADD, double-click MSFT, and then double-click NTBACKUP to open the \VALUEADD\MSFT\NTBACKUP folder.

5. In the NTBACKUP folder, double-click NTBACKUP.

6. After setup is complete, click Finish.

You can now start Windows Backup by clicking Start, pointing to All Programs, pointing to Accessories, pointing to System Tools, and then clicking Backup. For more information about protecting your files from computer failure, read Back up your files.

i am running windows 7 rc on a dell inspiron 9300.

i am using my dell reinstallation cd trying to restore windows xp2.

using your instructions i was able to install backup in sysem tools.

when i tried to run backup i received the message ntmsap.dll is missing.

reinstall ntmsap.dll.

how do i do this?

thank you,

bunchy1

i am running windows 7 rc on a dell inspiron 9300.

i am using my dell reinstallation cd trying to restore windows xp2.

using your instructions i was able to install backup in sysem tools.

when i tried to run backup i received the message ntmsap.dll is missing.

reinstall ntmsap.dll.

how do i do this?

thank you,

bunchy1

i am using my dell reinstallation cd trying to restore windows xp2

If you want to restore the computer to the condition in which it was shipped, power up the system and, when the Dell splash screen appears, tap F11 a couple of times while pressing a Control key.  Then, click Restore, or press Tan to highlight Restore and press Enter, and follow the prompts.

If you want to reinstall Windows only, with no 3rd-party drivers or other programs, power up the computer and insert the Operating System Reinstallation CD (Windows XP CD).  Power down the computer and power up again.  Press a key when prompted to boot from the CD.  When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press Enter to start installation.  When installation completes, any missing drivers can be installed from the Resource CD.

It is usually much easier to use the Restore feature described in the first paragraph than to manually reinstall Windows, drivers, other programs, etc.

Edited by TomGL2

Hi I am a new member and not sure this is the place to post. However the instructions were great for backing up XP home. I have been to at least 4 forums with no answer so thought I would try here.

My issue is how to back up my Ipod/ITunes. Have tried to place my programs on EHD but that does not work. I have over 4,000 songs and hate to loose. My job is international so do a lot of correspondence with various countries. Virus's are prevelant and have to reinstall periodically. Have tried Apple but will also not help.

Would appreciate if someone could direct me to where I may receive an answer. Thanks in advance.

Although you CAN install NT backup you can only do a backup, NOT create an ASR disk which (IMHO) limits the usefulness of the utility.

Why not just install one of the free disk imaging programs like EASEUS TODO??

Of course if you are using Win7 you can just use the built in imaging program!

But HEY,,, that's just ME!!

I have Paragon Backup tool, very good program.

When I get a crash, pity, I restore my system via the Paragon and look who is there, precisely, my Xp system.

Sometimes is it smart when you buy a Computer Magazine, in a Computer Magazine there is lot of software programs and in the most cases, very good.

I think that the Paragon software will also work with Windows 7.

:geezer:

Edited by Man Of The Future