Sign in to follow this  
Andrew S.

System Restore not working? Try this

If you cant get system restore to work, try logging on in safe mode and then choose admin.

Full credit for this must go to Intel Guy who posted this advice recently in user to user.

If you cant get system restore to work, try logging on in safe mode and then choose admin.

Full credit for this must go to Intel Guy who posted this advice recently in user to user.

No need to log on in safe mode.

When you get to the normal login screen. Simply do a ctrl/alt/del (twice) in the window that comes up enter Administrator as user name and then the administrator password in the second box.

Hey presto you are now in the Admin account.

Rick

How can you determine your user password in adm? I don't use the adm function in Windows xp. I have lost the restore function, the update function.

Thanks

Don

How can you determine your user password in adm? I don't use the adm function in Windows xp. I have lost the restore function, the update function.

FWIW: On occasion, for some unknown reason, system restore points are absent from the restore menu. In that case I have run with some success: boot/F8, "Last good configuration that worked".

When you get to the normal login screen. Simply do a ctrl/alt/del (twice) in the window that comes up enter Administrator as user name and then the administrator password in the second box.

This does not work in XP Home, where access to the Administrator account requires starting in Safe mode, except when only the Administrator account exists (abnormal in XP Home).

As a matter of interest - I bought a new notebook last October and system restore was working perfectly. Then around March it stopped working - went through the motions, rebooted and then informed me that changes could not be made. This went on for some months until I decided to reboot in safe mode and solved the problem.

I think I know why I can't use system restore except in safe mode. One of my apps is stopping it. And I think I know which one. I have a very wobbly beta Chat program on my file. It crashes regularly and is updated frequently to address the latest issues. I downloaded and installed it in March - and then my restore problems began. Of course in Safe Mode it isn't booted -and then I have no trouble.

It's worth considering whether your troubles began after you changed/added a certain bit of software perhaps? I guess I'd better not mention the name of the suspect app - it's a cross between Sims and a chatroom is all I'm saying. It's addictive, but it's - wobbly. :pullhair: