Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

psicon

...about 3D video

So i went to see Final Destination 3D this weekend.. The plot and story were totally stupid, but the effects were incredible! I was able to take home the glasses we used to be able to see the film. They are not the old school red and blue 3D glasses, they really just look like shades..

I wonder if you guys know anything about this type of 3D glasses and where I may be able to see some videos online with them, I wanted to be able to show my kids something in 3D, but Final Destination is not appropriate..

Thanks,

-myk

I think the new type of glasses use circular polarization (sunglasses would use linear polarization).

I could be wrong...I'm also not entirely sure how successful you'll be trying to use them on an LCD screen.

I could be wrong on both counts, though...

negative. Looks like it may not be easily possible without some extra equipment. It looked like they had some kind of something or other that the projector was projecting though at the theatre. like there were a couple of "stickers" on the glass of the projection booth.

This will be interesting to research, though..

And the circular polarization comment was correct.

Here's the site of the company that does the glasses if anyone's interested:

http://www.reald.com/

nope. If you look at that Wikipedia link i posted above, it talks about a "Z filter" placed in front of the projector. Dont think its possible with online video (yet)

from the sound of it, a common screen for the pc might not even be fast enough to display realD, they reference 3 shots of every frame totalling 144 shots a second..... and then there's the z filter thing that reverses ??? polarity of every other shot....

i haven't seen realD yet, but i want to. can't wait for 3d projection w/out a set of glasses. i'd happily pay the extra for a ticket to that.

I don't think the tech is there yet, but many new LCD TVs come with some sort of 3D technology built in that they plan to utilise in the future.

anyone ever played a 3d game with nvidias 3d vision system AND seen a real d 3d film??

just wondering how the experience compares,

if the 3d games on a lcd are good i'd assume there must be a way to watch films too.

:b33r:

i don't know if it was due to early revision or refresh rates or maybe bad driver support, but my brother bought a set of them 3d glasses for the pc and they didn't work with the lcd, he had to use a crt monitor. and even at that it worked in only like 2 games.

i'm in a different state now, but i'll see if i can't get ahold of him and ask.