Sign in to follow this  
markcynt

Look at what what Microsoft is promoting!

Well do you expect them to tell the truth? To be honest? It's a Microsoft training course to teach people Microsoft marketing. :lol:

no wonder they have such a bad reputation

they think their techs will swallow that story and if they don't, they might be out of a job

Why wouldn't their "so called" techs swallow that story?

99% of them have never seen anything but windows, they are Microsoft techs, they not only believe it, but actually repeat it because they think it is so.

In fact the majority of the administrators and moderators right here at PCPitstop beleive it and often repeat it.

In fact the majority of the administrators and moderators right here at PCPitstop beleive it and often repeat it.

Where's this majority that you speak of and their statements of Windows superiority over Linux among the Staff here?

:)Y

Well do you expect them to tell the truth? To be honest? It's a Microsoft training course to teach people Microsoft marketing. :lol:

Yep. Marketing.

They are loyal to themselves, and expect anyone using their Trademark in their business to be the same.

I wouldn't expect them to present a training that talked about how to present the many options customers have, and how to "work in" comments about Microsoft as a viable option. :lol:

I walked through a few of the MS Partner training presentations about 4 years ago.

I even got a T-shirt and some nifty ink pens with MS Logos.

I was never confused about the major thrust of the trainings I interacted with... it was and is about Sales.

From a customer point of view, what MS has going for themselves is "familiarity".

From an industry point of view, what MS has going for themselves is pre-installed sweetheart deals.

A less well handled, but still successful marketing example is Symantec.

Symantec should have died off, shortly after Peter Norton sold rights to his antivirus product to Symantec, IMO because his "once good" product lost the product excellence focus in a trade-off for marketing excellence.

But with similar "pre-installed option" sweetheart deals, Symantec survived using more marketing savvy than technical savvy.

reminds me of the radio commercials regarding IT jobs' then at the end of the commercial they slip in "microsoft trained professional" :lol:

i mean come on' why say microsoft and leave out anything else ?

Where's this majority that you speak of and their statements of Windows superiority over Linux among the Staff here?

Just about all of ya. ;)

Starting at the top and going down :lol:

Just about all of ya. ;)

Starting at the top and going down :lol:

Hogwash! :lol:

Where are these statements of Windows superiority over Linux among the majority of the Staff here?

No examples to back up this claim?

It's not hogwash, and I am not searching through years and years of posts to find discussions I have had with folks over the years. Including The owner Rob, Dave (yes Dave used to actually post in the forums), Shogan, Doug, Jacee, and several others.

Let me put it to you this way :lol:

Why do you use the most inferior, the most bug ridden, the most vulnerable, the most crash prone, the most expensive, the slowest, the least compatible, and finally the most restrictive operating system on the market?

It's not hogwash, and I am not searching through years and years of posts to find discussions I have had with folks over the years. Including The owner Rob, Dave (yes Dave used to actually post in the forums), Shogan, Doug, Jacee, and several others.

Let me put it to you this way :lol:

Why do you use the most inferior, the most bug ridden, the most vulnerable, the most crash prone, the most expensive, the slowest, the least compatible, and finally the most restrictive operating system on the market?

it's not like you to sidestep a challenge by changing the subject. I'm a little disappointed (not that it matters) and I assume it was baseless. :(

I have no need to "prove" what I am saying. I know it to be the truth. I have had these discussions with many, many members, administrators, moderators...... over the years.

First of all many and or most of the discussions are not even searchable any longer as the boards that they were discussed on no longer exist

I did not change the subject. I merely asked a simple question of a person who is relevant to this discussion.

I am not sure what you are referring to as baseless? But I haven't seen anything baseless in this discussion yet other then the marketing crap that was posted :lol:

Well you can roll your eyes all you want, and you don't have to believe a thing I say.

I would instead invite Rob Cheng, Dave Methuen, Steve Hogan, Jacee, KD5, Doug to join in the discussion. (recently even had this very discussion on the phone with Doug)

So you can rolleyes all you want, I know what it is I am talking about, I have a great memory for such things, and have no doubts about what I am saying.

In fact I even remember "licensing" discussions with Dave Methuen as far back as 8 or 9 years ago, and his preference for the BSD license over other open source licenses.

Hogwash! :lol:

Where are these statements of Windows superiority over Linux among the majority of the Staff here?

No examples to back up this claim?

I'd like to know when I've personally stated such a superiority!

It's not hogwash, and I am not searching through years and years of posts to find discussions I have had with folks over the years. Including The owner Rob, Dave (yes Dave used to actually post in the forums), Shogan, Doug, Jacee, and several others. Let me put it to you this way :lol:

It sure looks the other way around from my viewpoint :bigsmile:

I have never hesitated in saying that open source software and operating systems are superior. In fact I have been saying it here in these forums since the year 2000, just about ten years now. :tup: I will likely be saying for another 10 years. :tup:

Indeed you have stated closed source/Microsoft was superior, you seem to think that closed source is a better security method then code that is open. Yes Jacee we have had that discussion in the past. ;)

Edited by Bruce

come on bruce you have to admit windows is superior,

just look at the superior amount of posts in hjt and the virus forums...

compared to the linux ones(couldn't find a single post)...

same thing in the user to user section about unexplained crashes...

now how much more proof do you need.. ;)

:b33r:

edit:- how many years was the security hole in the linux kernel there?? 8?? and you can bet your bottom dollar m$ was and is always looking for them to discredit linux. :lol:

Edited by terry1966

I have never hesitated in saying that open source software and operating systems are superior. In fact I have been saying it here in these forums since the year 2000, just about ten years now. :tup: I will likely be saying for another 10 years. :tup:

Indeed you have stated closed source/Microsoft was superior, you seem to think that closed source is a better security method then code that is open. Yes Jacee we have had that discussion in the past. ;)

I can't argue with you about this because I've haven't used the OS of your choice. I said that "maybe" one of these days I may try it ... but I know for a fact that I've never bashed linux, Mac or any other OS.

Whatever MS wants to promote or how they promote it is their business. I have no say in this what-so-ever.

I just go about my own chosen field the way that suites me best. If I can help someone or many in what I know, then I'm glad to have been able to help :)

BTW ... "sink or swim" doesn't do it for me .... I tried that when I was 5 yrs old. Lucky for me that my Dad saved me from sinking the 2nd time I surfaced.

I didn't say you or anyone else "bashed Linux".

Because a persons chooses one OS or the other and then states their reasons is not bashing.

Then why did you drag me into this topic, with my name and rank on this forum? :blink::unsure:

I love what I do, and I certainly don't have a 'beef' with open source vs closed closed source.

PS.... I absolutely love Win 7 :wub::P

It can be argued that auto mechanics derive their livelihood from the foibles of gas and diesel powered internal combustion machines. But that doesn’t make them ipso facto advocates who attempt to dupe more folks into buying inherently faulty machines, nor does it mean that they advocate against future emergence of fuel cell, battery, solar and other alternatives.

On the contrary, if one could be a pin-up on the break-room wall at most any auto shop, one would hear outrageous stories and complaints about the silly and self-defeating “innovations” that some auto manufacturers and parts suppliers have concocted to save money and “improve” the present iteration of the automobile.

Neither does knowing the foibles of the internal combustion engine prevent the mechanic from providing and enjoying a family car to drive to the grocery or take the family on vacation.

And the internal combustion engine has actually been "not too shabby", as history has demonstrated. Civilizations have been able to transport people and goods via rail, air, and highway in a manner that has clearly improved the health and well-being of most of the citizens of this earth. Repairable and future innovation-replaceable deficits aside, the car, truck, train, and airplane have done for the world what was intended.

That there may exist today, exciting innovations that could revolutionize transportation, does nothing to detract from the benefits described above.

_______

That I and others help people with computer problems… and that most of the people who come to this and other forums are owners of machines with Microsoft product involvement… does not make me/us exclusive advocates for Microsoft. Neither does it make me/us detractors against innovation and alternative. Neither does it prevent me/us from enjoying what I/we have, which presently for me is mostly Microsoft. We are helpers to people who have chosen what they presently already have.

Might it be argued that we are “enablers” to Microsoft owners? Sure it could. But again the overview of benefit can argue that gain to civilization and knowledge has "not been shabby at all" over these past very few years.

Now, it might be ultimately effective in boosting innovation, for every auto mechanic in the world to refuse to repair another internal combustion powered vehicle and withhold their skills until a solar, or nuclear, or trans-warp alternative was made available. But at what cost to people and civilization? Similarly, if every forum helper, and tech shop owner, and IT department refused to repair another existing machine running Microsoft, the development and deployment of other systems might be accelerated. But again at what cost. To say that open source is “free” does not represent the overall cost of system wide change and restructuring for owner/operators, nor does it give token to the real benefits produced by Microsoft innovation.

When I first came to the Pit, I received tremendous kindness and generosity from helpers who assisted me with Windows. Later, I received a similar outpouring of information-wealth, kindness and generosity from Bruce personally, who assisted me with installing my first Linux operating system. I can fairly say that I would not have advanced in my use of Windows without the generosity I have received from the Pit Membership. And I can fairly say that I would not have an operational system of Linux without the assistance of Bruce.

In both instances I argue: “No Harm – No Foul”.

In fact, I stand in awe of the excellence and generosity that is given freely by Members, Staff, and Owners.

I am hopeful that we as a Membership will continue to give generously of our knowledge and advocate strongly for improvements whether it be in operating systems, software, hardware, or innovative uses in the application of present systems.

Very few people can be Bruce. And without a doubt we need more folks who are like-minded, generous and resourceful as Bruce is. But it is also true that very few people can be like the other helping Members of PCPitstop. And without a doubt, there is an increasing need for people of generosity and resourcefulness like our Pit helpers.

Arguments about Microsoft v Linux should target the topic and not the discussants, least we loose perspective of the tremendous people that we all are.

With Respect to All

nice post doug and i agree with it all, but i don't see where anyone was having a go at the staff and helpers of the forum. :P

to be honest windows wouldn't get half as much stick as it does(even with it's security flaws) if it wasn't for m$ marketing policies.

:b33r:

Yeah, I sympathize, Bruce.

Back in the days of the VCR, a kid could feed a whole sandwich into the slot.

With CD trays, you gotta go one slice of baloney at a time.

USB and eSata seem to have even put a stop to that.

What's this world coming to?