Sign in to follow this  
Y kawika

Go Computer

I'm not sure whether it'll be good at filling a niche, or is going to take advantage of Senior citizens.

It's an interesting concept, built on the atom processor technology and I would assume some form of Linux. Somehow it just seems a bit too proprietary and limited with a flavor of AOL, IMHO.

What are your thoughts about the "Go Computer?" http://www.thegocomputer.com/index.html

:)Y

Well if it is Linux, then it certainly isn't proprietary :lol: If it is Linux, upon request they have to provide the source code to anyone who has one of the systems, then of course that code can be changed, altered, improved, or even broken by the owner of the systems purchased, they can the release that code to anyone they wish, whether it was altered or not.

That my friend is in no way shape or form "proprietary".

That said, the service that is offered is just a service, I am not sure how a "service" can be proprietary :lol:

As for the data storage, well it doesn't appear to any different then any other data storage service, and if it is Linux, it is likely using rsync or something similar to sync the data. I use rsync twice a week and sometimes more often to sync data with backups of my computers, both from PC to PC and PC to external drives, and external drives to PC.

Personally I think offering to seniors or first time PC users a simple to use PC, guaranteed not to get a virus or malware and guaranteed not to crash is a wonderful thing.

Seems to me that systems that can't get a virus or malware, and rarely if ever crash is something every company should sell. Certainly every home user would want such a thing you would think, but then alas comes along billions of dollars in marketing......................and the great little start ups, end up just quitely fading away.

I'm thinking that at that age, it they haven't been interested they won't change. Also wonder how online sales is going to get to people who aren't on line. Could be this little "start-up" could use some marketing help. Even the Billion Dollar Giants were small startu-up companies at one time. They were just smarter than the average stump. :P

They have been in business for 9 years Shogan. ;)

They supply PC's to old age communities.

Probably a booming business in your state :rofl3:

LOL, Nope the people here are having trouble figuring out why the ponds are low in Dry season. Anything with a plug is considered Technical and complicated.

LOL it's unfortunate beacuse as soon as the company gets some momentum, their client base dies.

:geezer:

Great when a computer runs so well that it outlasts it's user, then sits and waits for the next round of "clients".

Somehow it just seems a bit too proprietary and limited with a flavor of AOL, IMHO.

:) Y

Linux flavor is under the GPL license but AOL is still propriety

Yep, you guys are right on the money - No Linux here.

It is run on what is called "My Gait" software: http://mygait.com/index.html

Proprietary and limited which may be good for first timers, but I would think it's limitations would become frustrating quickly. This quote from their Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs), which seems revealing to me as an extremely limited answer to a question that should have quite an array of promotional answers:

Aside from playing games and sending and receiving email, what else can I do with the GO Computer?

Many customers find that they love to be able to read the newspaper in large print, get driving directions, check restaurant menus, and do research on topics that interest them.

I don't know, I've never seen this OS, but would love to hear from any that have.

you have to buy a GO pc to find out

Q: Can I purchase the software only for my existing PC?

A: No. We provide the hardware and software because we warranty the hardware

I checked, and googled the hell out of it. If you are looking for work in Texas, and have Linux skills, they are hiring at $25 bucks an hour.

Joe, they don't have to sell the software to others if they don't want to.

It could indeed be Linux. You nor I would never know unless we purchased one of the machines.

no they don't have to sell their software....Apple has been doing it for a long time now

Apple sells their software.

You can go into any apple store and purchase a copy of their operating system.

It's only recently that you could install their software on an intel system...right? Didn't used to be that you could only install the apple os on apple hardware?

What does that have to do with the selling of software?

I was only commenting that apple does indeed sell their software, they have been selling it for years and years.

I purchased Panther when it was released and installed it on an old G4 that I had.

I fail to see what the architecture has to do with selling of the software. :shrug: It's either for sale to the public or it isn't.

For years apple sold software but you could only install it on an apple pc, that's about propriety as it gets, I never got around to checking how apple skirted the gpl on that

That hasn't changed. It will still only install on apple hardware.

There are other alternatives but they are not reliable, legal, or worth while.

Installing in a virtual machine would likely be an option.

I checked, and googled the hell out of it. If you are looking for work in Texas, and have Linux skills, they are hiring at $25 bucks an hour.

Joe, they don't have to sell the software to others if they don't want to.

It could indeed be Linux. You nor I would never know unless we purchased one of the machines.

It just seems to me that if it was in fact Linux, that someone would have mentioned it through our combined searches. :lol:

In any event, it does seem a bit pricey based on it's advertised functionality.

Why is that?

What do you think it should do?

I think it is the support that is pricey, but then considering the targeted audience is more likely to call often I guess it is a fair price.

What do you think it should do?

No mention of photo support or burning memories to CD's, seems like that would be important to Seniors.

Printer compatabilities? I know that is important to my dear old Dad as he burns through ink like he's running a Heidelberg! LOL! :lol:

Video compatability? Java or Flash capabilities? Can it accept Active X and run a Pit Test?

I mean, they just don't specify much in their promotions. If it only does EXACTLY what they are saying, then I guess it is what it is with nothing more to be expected from it.

I wish I knew someone that runs a Go Computer so i could see what's "under the hood" so to speak.

Can it accept Active X and run a Pit Test?

Dear god I hope not. :lol:

Besides there is no need for such silliness. ;)

You can't even see "under the hood" of your computers Operating system :lol: What good would it do you to be able to see under someone else's :P

Edited by Bruce