Sign in to follow this  
brandon

Getting back the classic Windows taskbar

If you are used to the old style Windows taskbar, where there is the window in the bar itself, along with a title, the new start menu with no title, and just an icon can be hard to get used to.

The way to get it back to the old style is to right click on the taskbar, find the Taskbar buttons menu, and select "Never combine" from the dropdown menu. Once you do that, it will go back to the old way of displaying items in the taskbar.

If you are used to the old style Windows taskbar, where there is the window in the bar itself, along with a title, the new start menu with no title, and just an icon can be hard to get used to.

The way to get it back to the old style is to right click on the taskbar, find the Taskbar buttons menu, and select "Never combine" from the dropdown menu. Once you do that, it will go back to the old way of displaying items in the taskbar.

Well, nearly but not quite! Yes, choosing "Never combine" in Windows 7 will display a single icon on the taskbar for each shortcut you add to it. And if you open 2 Word documents or 2 new windows in IE, they will then appear separately, side by side on the taskbar. But IE tabs will still be displayed in a line above the IE icon.

AND I have not yet found a way to Unlock the taskbar and push the slider towards the start button to make your shortcuts appear in a vertical column, as you could in XP or Vista and that is something I really miss! So if anyone knows a way to do this, I hope they will share the secret?

Well, nearly but not quite! Yes, choosing "Never combine" in Windows 7 will display a single icon on the taskbar for each shortcut you add to it. And if you open 2 Word documents or 2 new windows in IE, they will then appear separately, side by side on the taskbar. But IE tabs will still be displayed in a line above the IE icon.

AND I have not yet found a way to Unlock the taskbar and push the slider towards the start button to make your shortcuts appear in a vertical column, as you could in XP or Vista and that is something I really miss! So if anyone knows a way to do this, I hope they will share the secret?

I just did properties on the taskbar and unlock the tackbar

I just did properties on the taskbar and unlock the tackbar

Er...thanx but I know how to unlock the taskbar! What I don't know is how to push the slider along towards the start button, to make the shortcuts appear in a vertical colum in Windows 7. If anyone knows how to do this please let me know. Thanx

Er...thanx but I know how to unlock the taskbar! What I don't know is how to push the slider along towards the start button, to make the shortcuts appear in a vertical colum in Windows 7. If anyone knows how to do this please let me know. Thanx

This site will help you out in getting back your quick launch bar in windows 7.

Windows 7 forums

This site will help you out in getting back your quick launch bar in windows 7.

Windows 7 forums

Thanx. It's very informative. But I haven't lost my quick launch bar and I already know how to unlock the taskbar and change its properties etc in Windows 7. But even so, I read through all the tips and maybe I'm blind but I'm afraid I couldn't see ANYTHING about pushing the slider over so that all your shortcuts appeared in a vertical column from the taskbar, like you used to be able to do in XP and Vista?

It doesn't sound as if anyone even understands what I mean when I say that? :pullhair: So let me explain: Instead of having each shortcut displayed side by side and visible on the taskbar, you used to be able to unlock the taskbar and then push the slider towards the start button. You would then have to click the little upward arrow to see and select those shortcuts that had been "pushed up" into a vertical column.

Hopefully you all know what I am referring to now? :rolleyes:

Can you get any of them to hide?

I just tried with XP and it would not let me slide any further then 3 icons closest to the start button.

Can you get any of them to hide?

I just tried with XP and it would not let me slide any further then 3 icons closest to the start button.

If you mean auto-hide the taskbar itself, yes I can do that. But if you mean push any of the icons up into a vertical column to "hide" them, then no I can't do that in Windows 7. That is precisely the problem! :cr@sh:

And when I was running XP and Vista, I always use to leave the Show Desktop, IE and OE/Windows Mail icons visible on the taskbar and push all the rest up into the vertical column. So I don't know whether or not it would have been possible to push the slider any closer to the start button.

But I haven't lost my quick launch bar

Actually, I believe you have. If you are running W7 you certainly have.

That's the point. W7 does not have a Quick Launch bar....and you are trying to use the quick launch bar. The icons you are trying to "stack" are in the new W7 Task Bar, not the Quick Launch.

What you are trying to do is a function of something not included by default in W7....it isn't there at all.

Follow the instructions to restore the Quick Launch and you should have the functionality you want.

:b33r:

Actually, I believe you have. If you are running W7 you certainly have.

That's the point. W7 does not have a Quick Launch bar....and you are trying to use the quick launch bar. The icons you are trying to "stack" are in the new W7 Task Bar, not the Quick Launch.

What you are trying to do is a function of something not included by default in W7....it isn't there at all.

Follow the instructions to restore the Quick Launch and you should have the functionality you want.

:b33r:

You're right! I had forgotten the difference between the Taskbar and the Quick Launch bar! :blush: I have now followed the instructions and created a Quick Launch bar. Thank you so much for the tip! :)

It's not an unusual mistake/assumption actually.

People see icons next to the start button and expect them to be Quick Launch icons simply because we are all used to seeing them there.

Glad it worked out.