Sign in to follow this  
seremina

rdbss.sys Blue Screen

I have been occasionally getting this problem. I have no idea what's causing it and the info I'm being told by WinXP isn't helpful. It seems to happen after leaving the computer running for a few days at a time. I'll be happily surfing/working, and suddenly a slowdown will occur. Just when I think something had to update itself, there's a halt and it tells me drive D is dying or there's a network disconnection. That makes no sense to me, because drive D is just a partition.

Whether there's a halt or not, there's a blue screen. It always says that a device had stuff to do before it choked up and the device always mentioned is rdbss.sys; I googled this but the information I found just wasn't helpful. I don't know what's wrong. I've never had an rdbss.sys error before, so I don't have any previous experience to fall back on for this one.

I defragmented C and D, hoping that would fix the issue. It didn't. I'm already aware that both drives are almost full and I have a lot of cleaning to do on both, which is hard on me because I hardly have time to do the cleaning bit.

Any ideas?

heres a cleaner to run

http://www.stevengould.org/index.php?optio...&Itemid=223

download cleanup 4.5.2

next run this malware scanner

http://filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/

download and update the program

do a full scan...let it remove anything it finds

do the following for both drives

1) Start/Run/dfrg.msc/click ok

2) Run chkdsk /r

Start/Run/cmd/press ok

at the cmd prompt

type in exactly or copy it and paste it in

chkdsk /r

then press enter

you will recieve a message

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process.Would you like this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts <Y/N>_

at this time type in Y and restart your computer

allow chkdsk to run

it may take one or two hours to reach desktop

it may even take more depending on the drive

its best to let it run overnite

do the following for both drives

1) Start/Run/dfrg.msc/click ok

2) Run chkdsk /r

Actually, Chkdsk /R should be performed first.  It is important to check for and resolve file system errors prior to defragmenting a drive.

I did not use the cleaners that were recommended. What needs cleaning is what programs and ebooks I want to store and which ones I want to toss, etc, so that's different from needing a cleaner that cleans up accumulated junk. This hard drive is only 80GB and the D partition is only 6 GB. I tried to use the 6GB for storage ONLY but it ended up being inadequate. Heh. So you can imagine what happened. Spillover! :pullhair:

I did grab the Malware Scanner because virus scans just aren't coming up with ANYTHING. So it'd seem my system is healthy. But that doesn't explain the rdbss.sys thing. So here's the results. I DID let it clean them because I'm alarmed there'd be anything BAD in the registry. I'm security-anal, so this is a shock for me.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.40

Database version: 2614

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

8/12/2009 4:19:11 PM

mbam-log-2009-08-12 (16-19-10).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|D:\|)

Objects scanned: 221720

Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 56 minute(s), 35 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0

Memory Modules Infected: 0

Registry Keys Infected: 3

Registry Values Infected: 0

Registry Data Items Infected: 0

Folders Infected: 0

Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:

(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\nimo (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{ecd99db2-abfa-46ae-a7ee-16d0ddb78258} (Trojan.BHO) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{7fbb2d91-9964-4196-bac5-d5e751762ec3} (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

How resource-intensive is the chkdsk? Would I be able to multi-task while that runs? I may end up doing it during my sleep, as you recommended. I already know that Microsoft's defrag doesn't allow multi-tasking like my typical defragger does. So that's another nightful.

you could run a pitstop test

it will give us a idea what programs you got

from there you can choose what you want and what you dont

any crucial ones you can leave alone

once chkdsk has started you wont be able to do anything

and if you got lots on your harddrive it will take some time to run

which why i suggest you run it overnite

it will restart your computewr when its done

heres a quick check disk run

dont open or run any programs until its done

it will be a few minutes long

from start menu click on run

type in chkdsk press ok

a command prompt will open

chkdsk will be running

allow it to run

it might or will show list of errors if any

you could run a pitstop test

it will give us a idea what programs you got

from there you can choose what you want and what you dont

any crucial ones you can leave alone

once chkdsk has started you wont be able to do anything

and if you got lots on your harddrive it will take some time to run

which why i suggest you run it overnite

it will restart your computewr when its done

type in chkdsk press ok

chkdsk will be running

allow it to run

There's two problems with running a Pitstop test...

1. It refuses to work with Firefox, even with their IE Tab extension. I should not have to open IE for anything and IE is always slow. I still have IE6 and have not updated it since. I don't want any rude surprises by upgrading IE just to use it for PC Pitstop scans. (that's truly the only reason it'd be used!)

2. PC Pitstop won't show a complete listing of programs. It'll ALWAYS fail to take into account all my portable programs that I use. I wish all programs came in portable format; its a lot easier to handle programs without the need to install them and they can be easily moved from drive to drive without killing data and without worrying of forgetting to backup anything and worrying about finding a free image software, etc. Most of my space is taken up by programs that have no portable version.

I almost feel like buckling down and starting my cleaning, shoving what I want to keep onto my 4 GB emergency USB drive, take notes (which will be hard to read to boot) of what non-portable software I want to keep and will have to reinstall, wipe the drive, reinstall WinXP, Wubi Ubuntu, and move everything and reinstall everything. My biggest concern is that what I want to keep may exceed 4 GB. Just typing this tired my brain out. *yawn* So you can see why this is a challenge for me and I'd rather avoid it. I don't like being scared that this drive may be dying. I hope it can be saved without sacrificing anything I want to keep. Does anybody else experience that the longer they've known computers, the more they forget info about them and become so rusty that computers are a chore? (yet a necessary item for me, oy.)

Okay. I'll do the chkdsk overnight, and I'll paste in the results for you.

hijackthis can show add/remove program list of software

instead of pressing on scan and save log file

you press open the misc tools section

then open the uninstall manager

then press save list

it will open up as a list of all programs in notepad

you could copy and paste the list here

but only do that with hijackthis

nothing else...press something may damage your computer

http://filehippo.com/download_hijackthis/

type in chkdsk press ok

chkdsk will be running

allow it to run

I ran that one to start. When I got back to the computer, I realised the check vanished. So I would guess there were no errors. Otherwise, I think it would've stayed up. Does this mean that there would be no point to doing a full chkdsk?

Meanwhile, I have been working through my programs to find any I don't use and those that have fallen out of use that I wouldn't use again. Oh... I also have another question. I haven't done the Microsoft defragger yet, but what if it tells me that it can't defrag some parts? Are all defraggers always like that, or do better ones not have that issue?

Edited by seremina