Sign in to follow this  
Arthur21743

Overclocking Lowers My Video Score!

Does it make any sense that overclocking should lower my Pitstop video score from 280 to 156? Overclocking the CPU I mean, from 3.0GHz to 3.6GHz. This is a Wolfdale E8400, btw. 3D score stayed about the same (5909 vs. 5915).

CPU score went up from 23961 to 28787, and memory went from 15492 to 18598. I ran Cinebench and its readings went up after overclocking and I really shot around that monster in the hallway. LOL So there has to be something wrong with this 2D test, right?

Or doesn't it like overclockers? :boxing::cr@sh: LOL

Edited by Arthur21743

Maybe your pci express bus is being overclocked too, i know some boards bring it up with the fsb unless you change it.

You know, I actually looked to see if I could overclock that bus and the BIOS doesn't show anything but PCIe x16_3. It used to show all three slots but I guess they got rid of them in this latest version. This is a replacement MoBo (EVGA 780i) and the BIOS version that came with it doesn't even show PCIe x16_1 or _2 any more.

Thanks for the try though. I appreciate your responding. :)

next to PCIe x16_3. the value should be 100, thats the standard bus speed.

I doubt your other 2 pci-e slots will show up until you have graphics cards plugged into them.

Then looking at that have you got your graphics card plugged into the primary pci-e slot ?

Edited by got the flavor

next to PCIe x16_3. the value should be 100, thats the standard bus speed.

I doubt your other 2 pci-e slots will show up until you have graphics cards plugged into them.

Then looking at that have you got your graphics card plugged into the primary pci-e slot ?

It shows 100 all right. And so did the others (when they used to show). I know. I've tried to up the number on my graphics card before, but it didn't improve anything very much, whether in the Pitstop or with 3DMark06. Cinebench either, really.

And yes, the card is in slot 1 (nearest the FSB).

Anyway, why would the bus being OCd affect the Pitstop readings in the negative? If my Cinebench and 3DMark06 numbers go up when I overclock the CPU, why should my 2D number suffer in the Pitstop? This is not a new phenomenon, btw. This has always been the case with any puter I have currently owned. I just now had the urge to see if they knew about it and had an explanation. My video performance in regular 2D graphics is snappier, quicker, and has less lag, so I know the video card is displaying better. It's just that the Pit readings tank for some reason. I went from like 16% for 2D at stock speed to some top 48% with 20% overclcoking. Weird. :pullhair:

Try running the test in 16bit graphics mode i know some pit members say this improves the score, also try running a second pit test strait after the first as this normally shows a bit of a score improvement, it seems to me like you are getting some bad bottle necks then the 2d score isnt much to go by, whats the 3d score like?

Try running the test in 16bit graphics mode i know some pit members say this improves the score, also try running a second pit test strait after the first as this normally shows a bit of a score improvement, it seems to me like you are getting some bad bottle necks then the 2d score isnt much to go by, whats the 3d score like?

3D stayed the same. CPU and RAM scores shot up. (See above.) It's just the 2D test that is flawed some kinda way.

My stock number for the FSB clock is 1333. It's presently at 1600. Shouldn't that improve the way the PCIe bus operates as well? Any other sort of benchmarking tool will show an improvement, and with 32-bit colors. Why not PCPitstop? Why degrade my display to get the Pit test to behave? That's like handing a cripple a crutch and telling him to live with it, instead of wheeling him off to therapy. LOL ;)