Sign in to follow this  
kd5

Internet Explorer 8 - right-click menu item w/ IE7...

Decided to test IE8 on my laptop, one thing I notice that's missing in IE8, which I use ALL the time in IE7, is the right-click context menu item entitled 'Open in New Tab'. Is there a way (without downloading additional applications) to add that option to the right-click context menu in IE8?

Thanks, -kd5-

Also, what happened to the ability to view History? Option used to be available in the Favorites button in IE7. -kd5-

Edit: Found out how to access History. Apparently you have to switch between Favorites & History by accessing that menu item under the 'View' menu. How inconvenient (and stupid) is that??? :blink:

Decided to test IE8 on my laptop, one thing I notice that's missing in IE8, which I use ALL the time in IE7, is the right-click context menu item entitled 'Open in New Tab'. Is there a way (without downloading additional applications) to add that option to the right-click context menu in IE8?

Thanks, -kd5-

Also, what happened to the ability to view History? Option used to be available in the Favorites button in IE7. -kd5-

Edit: Found out how to access History. Apparently you have to switch between Favorites & History by accessing that menu item under the 'View' menu. How inconvenient (and stupid) is that??? :blink:

Still interested in finding out about the first question, but also interested in finding out if anyone has any input regarding the 2nd question. -kd5-

Not sure what to tell you about the "open in new tab" thing Keith, just checked in both XP and Windows 7 and it is there in both.

As for the second clicking on Favorites and opening the sidebar, the is a History tab is there; no need for changing any view settings. I'm guessing they put it there so that you can find both Histroy and Favotires in one place.

I have my Favourites open as a side pane (pinned) because it's more convenient when your using it a lot, and with that pane open you can view your history by clicking on that tab, you may need to open the pane a bit wider before you see this though, depends how your set.

As to new tab I have the same issue, the best you can get is open in new window, as you say the new tab option is missing, whether there is a solution I don't know, haven't had time to search about it, but if I come across anything I'll holla.

*edit

Where did those replies appear from lol, I swear they weren't there when I started to reply.

Edited by 8210GUY

Where did those replies appear from lol, I swear they weren't there when I started to reply.

Then that would make you the slowest typist on earth. :lol: Might want to check the times on those posts, that or you need new glasses (I know I do :geezer: ).

Yeah I know lol, I'm not that slow a typer, maybe it was my cache or something, only thing I can think of, apart from senility lol.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this, got a lot going on right now.

I tried the solution at the link above, it didn't work. Not only that but in the 'Updated Method', re-registering regsvr32 mshtml.dll wouldn't take. It claimed the DllRegisterServer entry point was not found.

The 'Open in New Tab' option is the one thing I use most often, if I can't get it to work in IE8 I'm going back to IE7. -kd5-

Heck with it. Went back to IE7, got my stuff back, it even seems faster than IE8, which was supposed to be the other way around... :shrug: -kd5-

Heck with it. Went back to IE7, got my stuff back, it even seems faster than IE8, which was supposed to be the other way around... :shrug: -kd5-

I have read the problem several times and maybe I just don't understand, but when I right click on the link in signman's reply I get what you seem to asking about.

Posted Image

Tried re-installing IE8 from a full file download (as opposed to Windows Update), thought the 1st install might've gone bad, but still no joy even after trying the fix. Uninstalled and went back to IE7.....again. -kd5-

Don't understand why that context menu item should disappear with the IE8 install, and even having disappeared, won't reappear after the 'fix'. This is a good clean XP install, nothing fancy, no errors of any kind, no viruses, spyware, malware, why will it work with other people's computers but not mine? Apparently this is a known bug, but apparently M$ doesn't acknowledge it, nor have they tried to fix it. It's annoying because I'd like to be able to upgrade to IE8, but won't if they're going to inadvertantly remove the one feature I use most often... :angry: -kd5-

Open in new tab is not missing in IE8 ,you simply have not enabled it.

To enable it ,open Internet Options, Beside Tabs,click Settings, where it says "When a new tab is opened ,open", in the drop down menu choose "the new tab page".Click OK.

Now close IE8 and relaunch it. TA DA! You now have "open in new tab" in your right menu. :P

Edited by pennstateplayer

Or, press 'ALT' click on file , to open a new tab. Type or paste an address into the Address bar to navigate to a new webpage or see where you've been to go back to the previous site.

Also, you can click on the dropdown arrow next to the Address bar and view history. Click the middle (scroll) button on the history link and it will open in a new tab.

Well the very 1st suggestion got my new tab option under the right click menu back, if that doesn't work for all then I don't know, but it does say reboot to complete the thing incase thats a factor.

Decided to try this one more time, using all the tricks mentioned in this thread.....nothing works. Not only that, the link you posted, Jacee, doesn't work anymore. I've Google-searched this problem and tried every trick everyone has mentioned, NOTHING has replaced the 'Open in new tab' context menu item. Unless anyone has any other ideas, I give up. -kd5-

Jacee, your link works again, but nothing on the page explains why I can't get 'Open in new tab' to appear in the right-click context menu, and it won't let me join the community to ask. -kd5-

I recently installed IE8 also, I can only get the new tab option when I select a hyperlink and right click on that

I recently installed IE8 also, I can only get the new tab option when I select a hyperlink and right click on that

That's exactly what I'm NOT getting, Joe. -kd5-

Through a long and painstaking process I was finally able to determine what exactly was causing the 'Open in New Tab' context menu item to disappear on all 3 computers here (main computer, my wife's computer, and my laptop). Turns out that the Linkscanner addon which is a part of Avanquest (V-Com) System Suite 8 Professional (installed on all 3 computers), when enabled, eliminates the 'Open in New Tab' context menu item. Disable the Linkscanner addon and 'Open in New Tab' reappears, etc., etc., etc. Wasn't a problem on IE7, just IE8.

I've emailed Avanquest about it, don't know who's really responsible (M$, Avanquest, or AVG who now owns Linkscanner) but I intend to make such a stink about it as to be heard, and hopefully someone will do something about it. -kd5-

I don't know how you figured it out, but good for you!! FWIW, I use SS also but mine is SS9. I have the links scanner enabled and don't have an issue with it after installing IE8. But...I use Vista and I know you use XP so its not really a good comparison.