Sign in to follow this  
Wingfan

Hard Drive crash

The hard drive on my old gateway fried, bought a new one, put the new one in my other gateway and installed everything necesary (MSDOS, Windows). When I power up, PC beeps 3 times and doesnt try and boot, what could be causing this?

This should be in the User to User Help forum, I'll move it over there for you and leave a redirect here so you can find it... ;) -kd5-

ok, ive gotten to the poitn where i can select what mode i want boot, safe, safe w/network, etc. Normal mode freezes. Safe Mode gives me an error multi(0)disk(0)partition(1)\WINNT\System32\DRIVERS\agp440.sys Now i know thats the vif card driver, how can i get this driver on here without getting to windows?

Thanx for all your help by the way

anybody? lol cmon im so close to gettin this stupid computer done and sold.

Below is my current gaming PC, ive modified it alot since i got it, processor, RAM, PSU, and fans

Edited by Wingfan

the beeps are gone, it freezes when it gets to the agp440, i have another card i could put in, but wilkl it recognize it? could it be that the card isnt in the slot perfectly? or even dirty? Im not gonna try tonite, but maybe ill try that tomorow. Im just so close to havin it done.

Edited by Wingfan

safemode does not use your video driver so it's unlikely the problem

What do you mean in the first post when you stated (MSDOS, Windows)?

What Operating system are you installing?

Everything that came with that PC is on the Hard drive already Windows XP. Ya i kinda agree about the vid card myself, but thats where it locks up when i try to boot in safe mode.

Guyz remember, my first doing this. I recently put a new CPU in this PC wasnt to hard, but i made my mistakes and now it screams!

is this a new hard drive with a clean install of windows on the same pc?

many things can cause these freeze up, if it won't run in safemode, then I would suspect a hardware issue. most gateway pc's that I have run across have questionable power supplies at best. First test the memory with memtest http://www.memtest.org/ and run dianostic hard drive software, UBCD had just about any thing you'll need for most hard drive manufactures, use the dianostic software for your brand of drive http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ If the power supply is old, then consider getting a new supply, preferably one with more watts than the one your using right now