Sign in to follow this  
Wozzi7

Programs cannot connect to Internet

Hey, I was hoping to get some help on this problem.

The only program that can access the Internet on my computer is my Opera internet browser (the one I'm using to type this), but nothing else - not other browsers, games, email clients, etc.

I have a Compaq Presario computer running Windows XP SP2 which was working fine until I had a horrible virus come through. A couple weeks ago, we had a guy come in and use ComboFix to clean it up and so the computer is now running on a modified BOOT.ini

I've tried turning off Windows Firewall but that hasn't worked.

Other than that, I've noticed in the "Network Connections" box, there are only two icons - "1394 Connection" and "Local Area Connection" whereas I used to have three. The last icon called "Internet Gateway".

How I remedy this?

Hi Woz,

Are you running an anti-virus program? If you are, update the anti-virus program and run a full system scan. My main worry would be that this virus is hiding in a file somewhere and is waiting for you to access it again.

The biggest problem is the virus seems to have already done its damage, and has reset all your premissions. Your problem is, do you continue to use a damaged OS or do you save all your data and do a reformat and full reinstall.

If you do a reinstall, be sure to scan your saved data with a good anti-virus program,before you add it back to your newly installed OS. You might consider partitioning your drive and start saving all your valuable data on a different partiton than your OS partition. Or, add a hard drive and save your data there.

Hope this helps,

RMC

. A couple weeks ago, we had a guy come in and use ComboFix to clean it up

I hope you didn't pay him. I would call him back and explain the problem, and that you are still having issues after he has "fixed" it. He shouldn't charge if he can't fix the issue!!

try disable 1394 CONNECTION.... AND ENABLE LOCAL AREA CONNECTION..

Both 1394 and LAC are enabled. Are you saying I should only enable LAC?

The biggest problem is the virus seems to have already done its damage, and has reset all your premissions. Your problem is, do you continue to use a damaged OS or do you save all your data and do a reformat and full reinstall.

Unfortunately, I don't have that Windows CD to do the full re-install. The other problem is, while other sites have recommended using a plethora of free virus scans and what not, I am unable to use them to the fullest because I cannot update them (i.e. no internet connection to those programs).

I hope you didn't pay him. I would call him back and explain the problem, and that you are still having issues after he has "fixed" it. He shouldn't charge if he can't fix the issue!!

No, we didn't pay him!

Edited by Wozzi7