Sign in to follow this  
EclipseWebJS2

Revo Uninstaller

OK, you have to admit, you've had a bit of trouble removing programs from the Add/Remove Programs menu in Windows, and nowadays, most of the software that it's being distributed on is on a Windows Installer (msi) package. So later on you change something with that program, and unfortunately, it happens. It starts messing around with frequent freeze-ups, crashing, and not doing what you want it to do. If that MSI package is on a CD-ROM, you better have it on the drive or on the hard disk or you'll get the "Insert Disk" error message for it. Or risk deleting the program altogether!

Instead of working tooth and nail removing the program by hand, get Revo Uninstaller. It should delete any program, regardless of installer.

With its advanced and fast algorithm, Revo Uninstaller analyzes an application's data before uninstall and scans after you uninstall an application. After the program's regular uninstaller runs, you can remove additional unnecessary files, folders and registry keys that are usually left over on your computer. Even if you have a broken installation, Revo Uninstaller scans for an application's data on your hard disk drives and in the Windows registry and shows all found files, folders and registry keys so you can delete them.

With its unique "Hunter mode", Revo Uninstaller offers you some simple, easy to use, but effective and powerful methods for uninstalling software. You can use it to manage your installed and/or running software programs.

This program even offers 8 tools to manage your Windows Vista/XP setup. However, it doesn't work on 64-bit editions of Windows.

OK, you have to admit, you've had a bit of trouble removing programs from the Add/Remove Programs menu in Windows, and nowadays, most of the software that it's being distributed on is on a Windows Installer (msi) package. So later on you change something with that program, and unfortunately, it happens. It starts messing around with frequent freeze-ups, crashing, and not doing what you want it to do. If that MSI package is on a CD-ROM, you better have it on the drive or on the hard disk or you'll get the "Insert Disk" error message for it. Or risk deleting the program altogether!

Instead of working tooth and nail removing the program by hand, get Revo Uninstaller. It should delete any program, regardless of installer.

This program even offers 8 tools to manage your Windows Vista/XP setup. However, it doesn't work on 64-bit editions of Windows.

Yes, Yes, I love this program, but they should match the programs with the Pictures by name. But otherwise this is a AWESOME!!!! Program, which should actually be included in Windows!! A+++ :clap:

:pullhair:

However, recently after I've used the program for a while, I've discovered a few "problems".

Revo Uninstaller couldn't find SOME uninstall packages for some of my programs. When I wanted to uninstall (ex. The Sims 2 Deluxe Edition), the program couldn't find the application uninstaller!

Dragging the Hunter Mode reticule over the icon won't always do anything, it just says "Unresolved!" You could try dragging and dropping an icon to the Hunter Mode icon though.

At least for one thing, if you got a program that's misbehaving and want to kill it right away, go ahead and use Hunter Mode and select "Kill" from the drop-down menu. That ensures the program terminates without any further incident -- exceptionally handy if you have been locked out of TaskManager by a malware infection.

As far as I'm concerned at this point, RU needs to be more in-depth and scan deeper and figure out which programs are actually listed in the Add-Remove Programs list, and then after it's scanned for installed programs, compare it to uninstall packages that it can and can't find itself. In other words ... It can use a few updates.

NEWS OF THE WEIRD: I just started using Revo and really like it, but ironically I came upon some 'unique behavior' right out of the gate. When trying to uninstall Java 6 Update 07, its *INstaller* screen popped up instead. I figured it was just one of those cases sometimes seen in Add/Remove programs, where an app's subsequent screen shows you more choices, e.g. repair, remove components, etc. So I proceeded. But nope! The old, already-installed java version installed over itself as I watched the whole thing in disbelief. So of course Revo's next screen, the one that shows 'leftover' (ha) items, was jam-packed with all the components of one or more full java installs (as opposed to remnants from an UNinstall).

At that point maybe I should have stopped and looked into alternate remedies, but I just let Revo proceed to remove the whole truckload piece-by-piece. Then I searched out and deleted Java 6.07's files and folders from the disk. All that was of course the equivalent of removing a program by simply deleting various parts manually (shudder!).

On an another computer I tested whether it had been a random fluke by once again beginning the Java 6.07 uninstall with Revo. But sure enough, the Java Welcome/install screen popped up again. So I stopped and went through Add/Remove programs instead, and sure enough the process behaved correctly from there, giving me the uninstall option right away.

However, based on its reputation and performance during subsequent uninstalls I performed, I'll continue to use Revo (albeit not continuing with an operation if I ever see an app's INstall screen start up again!). Maybe it was the fault of the java uninstall programming (although Add/Remove managed to start up the correct process...). Or even just that particular version of java, who knows. FYI, I was using Revo portable v. 1.83, and these were both XP SP2 computers.

Ok, I sent a bug report to Revo yesterday (hmmm, actually I never checked if they already had this one on file or not), and I just received this nice response:

"Hello (highly confidential first name removed for public posting :P )

thank you very much for your feedback and report! We highly appreciate it!

The problem is that the original uninstall command of some programs is indeed reinstall. This is the case with the Java updates, Revo Uninstaller reads the uninstall information as the program writes it in the Registry. But for such cases there is a command Forced Uninstall in Revo Uninstaller. Basically to use it you have to press the right mouse button over the Java Update entry in the list of Revo Uninstaller and select the command "Forced Uninstall" from the context menu. The command "Forced Uninstall" forces the uninstaller to start its remove command and it is available only for that programs which default uninstall command is modify/repair/reinstall. So using that command "Forced uninstall" in the future you should be able to uninstall such programs as Java Updates with Revo Uninstaller.

We continue to improve Revo Uninstaller so stay up to date.! If you have any problems or questions with Revo Uninstaller do not hesitate to contact us again!

Thank you!"

Best regards,

Revo Uninstaller Support Team

www.revouninstaller.com

While I was going to U2U to report a problem in my computer, I get a notification that this got a spot in the newsletter. What's the big honor for?

There's still a few kinks to get worked out, aside from the Java uninstall, as therefore mentioned.