Sign in to follow this  
keith1937

Powered USB For a illuminated Keyboard

I am looking at buying a illuminated keyboard ( I have eye probs) and it requires a powered USB can any one explain in simple terms what a Powered USB is please.

Can I get power up to a current USB or do I have to buy a special Powered USB and have it installed?

I will be getting a computer technician to do the job any way.

Keith :):)

I am looking at buying a illuminated keyboard ( I have eye probs) and it requires a powered USB can any one explain in simple terms what a Powered USB is please.

Can I get power up to a current USB or do I have to buy a special Powered USB and have it installed?

I will be getting a computer technician to do the job any way.

I have honestly no clue what that means and a computer tech is probably trying to make some money off of you.

but pretty much here is an illuminated high end keyboard. Link

I actually got that info off Logitech site. It has nothing to do with any technician at all.

Next question are they any good in dimer light as now I have to have a desk lamp on so that I can see the Key Board keys a lot better.? It is not actually required but it will be a help to me.

all usb ports are powered you can plug all sorts of things into them like lights fans phones illuminated keyboards, The only time you will ever have problems powering somthing from a usb port is if u have a usb hub with more than 2 ports.

The only time you will ever have problems powering something from a usb port is if u have a usb hub with more than 2 ports.

OK let me see if I understand this corectly.

If I have a unit that has more than two USB outlets/points it will will work but not light up .

If I have either a two or single USB outlet it will light up?

Sorry I am not using the correct terminology I dont think I every will understand it fully.

If I am correct I have a plenty of space to put a twin/single USB in

If I have a unit that has more than two USB outlets/points it will will work but not light up .

Sorry I am not using the correct terminology I dont think I every will understand it fully.

[/quote

Yes if you use the back ports it should power the keyboard no probs, The maximum output of a usb port is +5v (500mA) max just check to make sure the keyboard is not a higher voltage than this.

It isn't a difficult concept.

There is only so much power in a port, very much like a power outlet on your wall.

One port will power a device or two usually without a problem, much the same way a power outlet on your wall will power a few things.

Just like the power outlet on your wall if you use a usb hub and try to power to many things it won't work.

The keyboard you want to plug in will work just fine. :lol:

Thank you every one, now I know what to do I think I will have to get another USB put in. Also thank you for putting the answer in simple plain English it make it a lot easier to understand.

I have honestly no clue what that means and a computer tech is probably trying to make some money off of you.

but pretty much here is an illuminated high end keyboard. Link

a powered usb port, is eather, a usb port connected directly to the motherboard, such as built into a laptop, or desktop, our a usb hub that plugs into a wall or a battery. a non powered usb port is a usb hub that does not have an external power port pluged into a wall, or battery. thay share the .5 amps of power for all the 4 or 7 connections, wich can cause problems and can make usb devices not function properly.

a lit up keyboard is fine, u can diy by using a standard ps2 keyboard and getting thin EL electro luminesent wire and routing it under the keys. even standard keyboards have 1 +5v power from the cable